The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor Bedard should pull a Lindros.

Only thing he'd be hated league wide by the other 31 other teams. Lindros was viewed like how Vancouver fans view Hodgson's Dad. In the end it was one of the more interesting hockey trades, and Forsberg was probably more valuable for Quebec/Colorado than Lindros did for Philly. My concern for Bedard, is not his talent, skill level and skating. Which are fantastic. I'm just concerned at 5'10" and 185 lbs. That doesn't help Vancouver compete against bigger more physical teams. I'm not saying Vancouver would or should turn him down. I would just like a team that's bigger, faster, skilled and have a bit of bite on the team.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only thing he'd be hated league wide by the other 31 other teams. Lindros was viewed like how Vancouver fans view Hodgson's Dad. In the end it was one of the more interesting hockey trades, and Forsberg was probably more valuable for Quebec/Colorado than Lindros did for Philly. My concern for Bedard, is not his talent, skill level and skating. Which are fantastic. I'm just concerned at 5'10" and 185 lbs. That doesn't help Vancouver compete against bigger more physical teams. I'm not saying Vancouver would or should turn him down. I would just like a team that's bigger, faster, skilled and have a bit of bite on the team.

Are you seriously concerned about a 16-17 year old generational talent being slightly below league average in size and weight?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Are you seriously concerned about a 16-17 year old generational talent being slightly below league average in size and weight?

Yes. Because I don't want Vancouver being pushed around, by bigger, physical and faster teams. I don't want Bedard to get injured when he's got that much talent.

Bedard and a combination of bigger players would be just fine.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes. Because I don't want Vancouver being pushed around, by bigger, physical and faster teams. I don't want Bedard to get injured when he's got that much talent.

Size is seriously overrated. Garland is around Bedard’s size and that hasn’t affected him one bit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

A kid under 6 foot and 190 pounds doing what he does is VASTLY more impressive than one that is genetically blessed with size and moderate talent.  He won't have the same issues adjusting to a game against larger opponents where kids who are larger seem to have a much greater learning curve

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Size is seriously overrated. Garland is around Bedard’s size and that hasn’t affected him one bit. 

Didn't seem to be overrated when we play teams like Carolina, Boston, and Colorado. 

Hell even Edmonton has gotten away from having smaller players. Now is McDavid a wrecking ball? No. But his size doesn't hurt when you try and knock him off the puck.

I'm not saying it's the only factor. I'm saying I want to see a balanced team that can beat you, no matter what style of play we go up against.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Didn't seem to be overrated when we play teams like Carolina, Boston, and Colorado. 

Hell even Edmonton has gotten away from having smaller players. Now is McDavid a wrecking ball? No. But his size doesn't hurt when you try and knock him off the puck.

I'm not saying it's the only factor. I'm saying I want to see a balanced team that can beat you, no matter what style of play we go up against.

Our average height and weight is 6’1” 196lbs, we aren’t by any means small. 5’10” 176lbs hasn’t seemed to have bothered Patrick Kane’s ability to be an all time great. 

This may be VAN's only hope at a 1st overall player and winning the Cup. Unless of course they miraculously win the 2023 Draft lottery and then select Bedard

I like that he's a big Canucks fan and wants to play for them. Could be weird for him if he is drafted by another Pacific team, always in competition with his beloved Canucks. 

Edited by NUCKER67

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He just turned 17 three and a half months ago. He will probably put on 15 pounds in the next two to three years, maybe even grow another inch.

• Cheers 1

I definitely think we will see Bedard in a Canucks uniform at some point, and hopefully in management afterwards. Kid loves the team, knows our history, shares our pain, and wants to see Vancouver on top and see them win a championship. He thinks he's the guy that can bring us to the promised land. Let's see what happens. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nah i don't think the hate would be that much for it. Everyone would understand.

Mcdavid would have been hated on that much if he didn't report to Edmonton either. 

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This may be VAN's only hope at a 1st overall player and winning the Cup. Unless of course they miraculously win the 2023 Draft lottery and then select Bedard

I like that he's a big Canucks fan and wants to play for them. Could be weird for him if he is drafted by another Pacific team, always in competition with his beloved Canucks. 

He cried for a week when the Canucks lost in 2011. He is one of us. 

He might even have an account here for all we know 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He cried for a week when the Canucks lost in 2011. He is one of us. 

He might even have an account here for all we know 

Is there any way Bedard could skip the 2023 Draft and just sign with the Canucks afterwards? :lol:

It seems the Canucks really need Bedard, and Bedard wants to play for the Canucks. 

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is there any way Bedard could skip the 2023 Draft and just sign with the Canucks afterwards? :lol:

It seems the Canucks really need Bedard, and Bedard wants to play for the Canucks. 

He'd have to go through the motions. Like Lindros did. Through the draft , then trade.

We would have to make a mega trade for him. 

6 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Arizona is a disgrace to the sport and the league. They don't even have a rink. There is no limit to how low Bettman will go to save a hockey team from turning Canadian. 

Knowing this, why should Connor Bedard waste one minute of his career there? What are the legal ramifications? If he has proper legal council, he should just refuse to play for them. If Lindros could do it, so could he. 

What other teams will be in the running for him in 2023?

The other option is that he could just sign his third contract with the Canucks like Hamhuis did. 

So we get Bedard and the Yotes get a King’s ransom and win a cup 2 years later?