The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor Bedard should pull a Lindros.

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He never won a cup. And one of the players going the other way (Forsberg) did. I think that's what the other poster is snarking about 

Oh.  I get it.  Thanks.

absolutely, it would be great if we got a haul, like the Nordique did for Lindros, for Bedard.  But Lindros was still a great player, who did change how the game was played.  I don’t think Bedard will accomplish that.  He’s more like Marcel Dionne to me.  A great point producer, but not a game who changes the game.  The Big E was a very unique player.  Yup nail he met ?Scott Stevens, of course.  :ph34r:

• Vintage 2

On 10/30/2022 at 10:30 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only thing he'd be hated league wide by the other 31 other teams. Lindros was viewed like how Vancouver fans view Hodgson's Dad. In the end it was one of the more interesting hockey trades, and Forsberg was probably more valuable for Quebec/Colorado than Lindros did for Philly. My concern for Bedard, is not his talent, skill level and skating. Which are fantastic. I'm just concerned at 5'10" and 185 lbs. That doesn't help Vancouver compete against bigger more physical teams. I'm not saying Vancouver would or should turn him down. I would just like a team that's bigger, faster, skilled and have a bit of bite on the team.

Crosby draft listing

5’11 195 lbs

• Cheers 1

On 10/30/2022 at 1:30 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only thing he'd be hated league wide by the other 31 other teams. Lindros was viewed like how Vancouver fans view Hodgson's Dad. In the end it was one of the more interesting hockey trades, and Forsberg was probably more valuable for Quebec/Colorado than Lindros did for Philly. My concern for Bedard, is not his talent, skill level and skating. Which are fantastic. I'm just concerned at 5'10" and 185 lbs. That doesn't help Vancouver compete against bigger more physical teams. I'm not saying Vancouver would or should turn him down. I would just like a team that's bigger, faster, skilled and have a bit of bite on the team.

Lindros was a better player then Forsberg.   Both those guys would eat the league alive today, but even more so Lindros.   He'd be virtually unstoppable, could play his entire career now, with his head down and not worry about it.    Back then every team had guys that could try and stop him, and it wasn't that easy.   Lindros was every bit as special as Bure was.   Unique.   Had hands like Crosby...and a body like Tony Twist but 6'4".    Just ridiculous really. 

My wife tutored him in math while he played for Oshawa (one year older)...was a total gentleman, polite and if anything a little shy.    He never wanted to play in a fanbase where he would be a spectical "come play with us and you will be a god" was the Nords line.   Of course it was made into an anti-french thing, which it never was.    The supplementary guys included in that deal ... COL won that ... Ricci and Simon.   Todd Bertuzzi was also part of that trade tree.   Ron Hextall, Steve Duschene.   

For sure PHI would have done better doing something else with all those assets.   PHI got swept in 97...it didn't take long for Lindros's team to reach their high water mark.   In a different era, Lindros could have been so much more. Same with Forsberg really, both guys suffered playing that style of hockey. 

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, Wanless said:

Crosby draft listing

5’11 195 lbs

It's not like McDavid isn't a twig either.   It's rare that a guy is big and skilled at the same level.  Messier, Lindros, Jagr, Thorton.... Gretzky was a twig too, a ton of hockey guys were saying he'd be murdered as soon as he joined the league ... even after playing a year in the WHA (which wasn't much different then the NHL really...if anything a bit meaner)... at 165lbs and 17...scored over 50 goals too! 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It's not like McDavid isn't a twig either.   It's rare that a guy is big and skilled at the same level.  Messier, Lindros, Jagr, Thorton.... Gretzky was a twig too, a ton of hockey guys were saying he'd be murdered as soon as he joined the league ... even after playing a year in the WHA (which wasn't much different then the NHL really...if anything a bit meaner)... at 165lbs and 17...scored over 50 goals too! 

Yup

and really in the end its not about size, its having the right amount of snarl, discipline and competitiveness

On 10/30/2022 at 11:19 AM, Pears said:

Size is seriously overrated. Garland is around Bedard’s size and that hasn’t affected him one bit. 

Sure it has. Connor has top tier dangles, and one of the better motors in the league. Could you imagine how dominate of a winger he would be with Boesers frame?

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

At 17yrs old, he's the same height and weighs more than Patrick Kane when he was drafted 1st overall.

All true, but I don’t see Bedard as becoming a franchise changing player like Kane.  I’d rather we draft that Russian kid.