The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

In case anyone wasn’t aware… last place in the league… 

8E9804F3-B751-40B3-9119-80D96C052FF2.png

Maybe that's the silver lining tonight 

Aside from Bo scoring and Schenn being Schenn it's tough to find one 

I guess Bear was solid considering it was his first game this season

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The team played with structure and discipline against the Penguins, what happened?  Tonight there's no cohesion, gaps are too wide, pucks turned over, players not supporting one another, shoot the puck out of the zone, shoot the puck in the zone, just turn it over, brutal hockey, not Canucks hockey!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This team is still a product of Bennings management.

Primarily the defense corps is the biggest deficit that Rutherford inherited.

Benning had failed to put the investment into good D... his focus, with the one exception of Hughes, (who was an offensive D) was on the forwards.

Plus he traded away or left unsigned veterans like Tanev and Edler.  Right now Tanev would be a great addition to the 3/4 pairing and Edler would be a great 5/6.

So Rutherford is left with a bad situation.

But the fact that he decides to stand pat and not acquire the defense that was desperately needed was a bad decision.

Basically an off season and draft was wasted.

The two other problems the team has are:

-  Demko is not up to speed yet... he is recovering from the injury which he suffered on April 19 2022 during the Canuck's playoff drive... he was played two games after suffering that injury which might have been a big mistake.... he subsequently required off season surgery... the actual injury has not been revealed.  If it was the same hip he had a problem with earlier in his career then it may be a more serious issue than first thought.

-  The entire Canucks team is playing poor defensively.... forwards included.  There is a real lack of coverage, lack of backchecking, the forwards are not contesting the zone entries... it can't be just the D which does that... and there is a lack of physicality in the D-Zone.  If your D-Men are smaller, as a lot of the Canucks are, then the forwards need to make up for that.

I am still wondering if it is the Assistant coaching... as I have mentioned before, the two guys who were under BB during the 2nd half of last season left for elsewhere.  The guys who replaced them are not in my opinion, great replacements.

This is a really fair assessment. It's clear at this point that Benning had constructed quite a flawed team, but Rutherford/Allvin really didn't put their stamp on it. They did far too little to change the so-called 'culture' of the team. Not making any changes on defence... yikes... They are just relying far too much on Demko who has struggled mightily this season. Without Demko, this team is going nowhere.

They really shouldn't have used all that cap space to re-sign Miller.

• Like 1

Listening to our guys post game interviews, they all sound super professional.  

I'm tired of the PR talk.  These guy lack the competitiveness. 

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Quite literally, Bo is pretty much one of the few players holding up his end of the bargain. Exceeding it really. People taking shots at him clearly have sort of twisted bias going on.

And yet the Canucks didn't re-sign him this off-season. I'm not a huge Horvat fan, but even I realize his value of this team is more than Miller's.

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Who knows, maybe they both gotta go.

If Management can trade Miller I will take back what I’ve been saying about them. I have no faith in them right now. They’ve been “accessing” the team long enough. Yet they somehow signed Miller to an extension. If this is some master plan to get more for him then trading him for less as a pending UFA then great.

But I see the writing on the wall now. Horvat traded. Stuck with Miller. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Devron said:

Management has had a summer to do what re-sign a Benning player. I like the Russian moves but c’mon they can handle some heat. There are plenty of good forwards on this team they did nothing with. 

They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt imo 

People keep making excuses that the new management group deserve more time to finally assess them. The problem isn't about the time. It's about the impact. There have been numerous opportunities to do something bold with the new team they inherited (not built). They chose to waste cap space on re-signing Miller while doing absolutely jack all for everything else.

- They did nothing at the trade deadline when they could've flipped Miller for something that could help us in the future. It's this short sightedness that will cost the Canucks more time.

- They made an exceptionally big splash at the free agency, signing Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.

- Both of these did not help the defense.

Mikheyev is a good signing, and so was Kuzmenko. We can't take away these signings, but the other newcomers have seemingly made little positive contribution. Our new assistant GMs have failed just as much as Allvin has.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Listening to our guys post game interviews, they all sound super professional.  

I'm tired of the PR talk.  These guy lack the competitiveness. 

Just lip service and saying the same thing after every loss! Show some change on the ice… play together not as individuals. I think there must be some serious locker room issues with this group.

• Sad 1

You guys are talking about D not being available.

Ben Chiarot was available as a free agent and signed with the Wings for 19 million for 4 years.

That is the same price which the Canucks paid for Mikheyev.

What was needed more?  Another forward or a big tough 6'3" 234 lb Canadian D who can score???

Yes, Chiarot is 31, but he has been relatively durable and should be good to 35.

This is just one example of the options which were available last summer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

The team played with structure and discipline against the Penguins, what happened?  Tonight there's no cohesion, gaps are too wide, pucks turned over, players not supporting one another, shoot the puck out of the zone, shoot the puck in the zone, just turn it over, brutal hockey, not Canucks hockey!

Maybe they should not have messed with the chemistry they had going as a team, and introducing 2 new players right off the bat. Ease them in, not while the team finally came together and won the first whole team effort game of the year... Not saying the don't belong, just not now... baby steps Bruce.