The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller is a 1ppg power forward, who can win draws, pinch in at C and is signed to a below market value deal. We'd likely have to take some short term cap back just to make the numbers work, but any "win now" team with money coming off this/next season, a need at top 6 w, and with a rising cap, should be all over adding him.

Boeser IMO we should allow to rebuild trade value and wait until we've got McDonaugh arriving and Kuz locked down before we move.

Garland I like, but Hoglander can do a similar job, at a similar stature, for less than half the cap. Move him for futures IMO.

Bo you try to retain IMO. But if he (understandably) wants out, at least we should get a haul.

Myers, Pearson etc should be more moveable this summer/next TDL.

The rest we largely keep for now... And they have two years to build something around Petey. If that fails, and he wants out, then he gets movedb for a haul too. Here's hoping we progress by then.

That said, historically there's very little trading of this sort in early November. Especially with cap as tight as it is. At the earliest, we likely see some of these moves before the winter roster freeze and then leading up to the TDL. And some (like Myers, Pearson) will likely have to wait until the summer/next TDL.

We'll see...

Either way I hope we start selling and hopefully before we are out of the top 3 sweepstakes. 

This leads nowhere...

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Rathbone wasn't good. Myers was pretty bad. Demko needs a reset: He should sit / spend time with Ian Clark. Let Martin take the reins for now.

Bruce firing after they lose to the Leafs on Saturday, and then the Leafs sign him as their coach and they go on to win the Cup?  Yep, sounds like a Canucks outcome.

It's beyond disappointing with how my hope was built in the off season.  Now, 13 games in, we're talking about tearing it down, trading most of the current players - on the hope of landing Connor Bedard? The Canucks will need an immense amount of luck to land the #1 next Draft. It's kind of out of their hands, even if they finish last.

Said it before, Owners/JR need to write a letter to the fans to explain they will be rebuilding a future championship team, and to please be patient.

It's those bloody owners though, they want a packed arena every night and playoff revenue and don't care about rebuilding at all. Maybe the only way real change happens is if we stop paying a lot of money to attend a Canucks game. Relax at home, watch it on TV, or not. Maybe then the Aquas will wake up.

Most people attending the games are season ticket holders. Their the ones who need to ask for their money back. Then again there is a waiting list for season tickets, you give them up , someone just purchases them. 

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Most people attending the games are season ticket holders. Their the ones who need to ask for their money back. Then again there is a waiting list for season tickets, you give them up , someone just purchases them. 

Just looked it up seems there is no waiting list now.

Edited by vancan2233

8 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Coaching. Yeah, not the problem,  but this is why they get fired . 

Every heard of rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic? 

I thought that's what coaches did when they shuffled lines and moved centers to the wings and back again

17 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Good comment regarding Miller's contact and trade value. 

I personally think anyone with 3 years left has great trade value because we can retain salary. 

If we are rebuilding with guys on ELC and other teams cap dumps, we shouldn't need capspace for 3 to 4 years. 

I would say this is the time we need a capologist the most. We need a carefully planned out strategy of how we'll be utilizing cap space to extract max value on trades while ensuring new contracts are structured to ensure we have maximum capspace availability when we need it in the future. 

Would getting Gilman back be good for navigating the cap during a two year reset?  

ok, flame away if you don't like my ideas...

Boeser & Myers or OEL to Blues for Tarasenko & Parayko

Miller & Myers or OEL to Buffalo for Tuch & Lybushkin

We'll throw in Pearson, Garland, Rathbone to either deal plus retain some if need be. 

I like the Petey line with the 2 Russians.

I like Horvat with hogz and Podz.

l like Aman, joshua, Lazar, Studz as energy players. 

D wise Hughes and Bear are the only REAL keepers, for now. 

Demko on the block, but only for a veteran that can hold their own for 40+ games per year. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I thought that's what coaches did when they shuffled lines and moved centers to the wings and back again

Miller should be shuffled back to the wing. Pearsons needs to watch a few games. Call up Lockwood to take Pearson place. Lockwood looking like he could be useful with his speed, skill and two-way play.  Give this remaining road trip to Martin. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's his title, Rutherford may be at the top of the heap as president but Al should absolutely have power and authority to make trades

I could be wrong but feels like JR is showing PA the ropes and calling the shots rn 

I know he should I’m just not convinced he does yet 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, grumpyone said:

ok, flame away if you don't like my ideas...

Boeser & Myers or OEL to Blues for Tarasenko & Parayko

Miller & Myers or OEL to Buffalo for Tuch & Lybushkin

We'll throw in Pearson, Garland, Rathbone to either deal plus retain some if need be. 

I like the Petey line with the 2 Russians.

I like Horvat with hogz and Podz.

l like Aman, joshua, Lazar, Studz as energy players. 

D wise Hughes and Bear are the only REAL keepers, for now. 

Demko on the block, but only for a veteran that can hold their own for 40+ games per year. 

LOL Boeser and Myers for Tarasenko and Paryako? Sign me up! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I still remember people on here would say that we didn't start our rebuild since 2016 or 2017 so that we wouldn't look bad rebuilding for so many years.

Fact is we haven't been competitive since 2011. 

We were competitive the following year, wining the Presidents Cup again in 2012,  but were ousted first round by the eventual winners, LA

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I'm ok now...didn't sleep much though (truth).

Who am I trying to kid, I'm here for the long haul. Love this team and do hold out hope but it's getting hard to defend them. I can't argue against what people are saying but I secretly still/always think we can turn it around. I just don't know how. And there's huge urgency in this as we can't dig a hole like last year.

I think, at this point, we have to play Martin more because Demko's been relied on too heavily in the past and it's clear that he carries a lot of weight on his shoulders. The expectations for him are set so high. Too bad he's struggling but he's only human. I think he'll pull it together but we can't let this thing get away like it did last year.

I feel bad for the team. They want to win as badly as we want them to...so I'll hang around and keep cheerleading like a true homer. sigh

Sometimes you gotta take some lessons from back in grade school Deb. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. As an athlete it's not always the end of the world if you are losing. There are life lessons to be learned as well here and a natural cycle of being in a winning position but one must also accept losing too and learn from it.

This team and fanbase will be much better off if/when JR and Co realize that. It's time to rebuild the culture and team and stop pushing so hard for results. This non-stop pushing for things that just aren't feasible is what's driving this whole thing into the ground.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

While I agree, I would love to see a coach actually hold these players responsible for when they play like this then.

Stop. Giving. Ice. Time. To. Players. Who. Don't. Care. 

I totally agree, but it’s our only chance of winning. 

5 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Miller should be shuffled back to the wing. Pearsons needs to watch a few games. Call up Lockwood to take Pearson place. Lockwood looking like he could be useful with his speed, skill and two-way play.  Give this remaining road trip to Martin. 

I agree with Lockwood's call-up ... he has really cranked it up a notch this season.  My guess is Martin will play in TO, then Demko in his hometown of Boston

I'd also sit Bones for a couple - play Burroughs and pair him with Myers.  The OEL-Myers pairing just isn't working this season like it did last year.  I'd move Bear to play with OEL - they were pretty good together last time

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Tarasenko is ufa in July, and they can't seem to re-sign him, he'll be demanding 9+ . plus maybe he wants to play with some fellow ruskies.

whereas Boeser is signed for a couple more years and is younger. 

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

deleted quad post.....just like our powerplays

Edited by grumpyone
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1