The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This management group thus far: Laziness? Incompetence? Victims of cap issues?

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Management was freaking out they couldn't trade Miller so they drooled when Miller accepted 7million AAV. Should have pulled the trigger at last year's TDL, not chase the playoffs in which we had like a 5% chance of making. 

No previous regime ties down a new one. They are the current regime and have the power to change things and turn a new page. All these tied down by previous regimes are just pathetic excuses. 

Miller 7 years @$8 mill per.

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, Firstname Lastname said:

I think this management only saw the second half of last season, and made their evaluation based mainly on that.

But they were not familiar with the team that was before Bruce came in, which is the true identity of this Canucks team.

So they were expecting something close to that team they saw after they came in.

To be fair, no one expected this kind of result from Demko though.

Do we want a management group that doesn't do their homework? You think they would have been able to watch the gong show like all of us fans last fall. As teh OP stated, they are just full of excuses without any answers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Do we want a management group that doesn't do their homework? You think they would have been able to watch the gong show like all of us fans last fall. As teh OP stated, they are just full of excuses without any answers.

Maybe, like Seravelli suggested in his 650 spot this morning, there is a person above management who is limiting what can be done? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Owner refuses to take a step back.  Does it really matter who the management is, when the club needs to take a step back but the owner refused?  The owner sets the direction here.  He needs to allow JR to do what needs to be done. 

And JR should have demanded that power or not taken the job; he just looks like a clown. Let's face the fact; this was one last trip to the money trough for him; he isnt engaged enough to make change, just badmouth the team he is in charge of.

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Including this year’s contract don’t we have Miller for eight years at just over 7.5 per?  That’s actually a pretty good cost for a top line guy, no? 

But he isn't a top line guy.

He plays wing, with Bo on the second line; because of brutal defensive issues with him at center.

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Makes sense. It's almost like they ran things " day to day", not long term. Can't remember where I herd that before , but pretty sure a wise man I once knew was quoted saying that too. 

The day to day quote has been completely taken out of context.  

It was in reference to the situation around Covid where rules were changing on the fly, and a trade deadline was coming up where American teams weren't going to be able to get a player from the Canadian team for weeks after the trade. 

I know that media went back and clipped it, but it's disingenuous to keep misusing it. 

To answer OP's question: we don't have enough good players to overcome Demko's meltdown this year, so far.  

Demko is 1-7-2 with .874 sv% and a 4.01 GAA 

Martin is 3-0-1 with .900 and 3.45. 

Previous management left us without much cap wiggle room and so we are icing a team with great forwards and below average dmen.  It's not enough to survive a complete meltdown by our goalie that was supposed to be our strength.  

I have no doubt that Demko will eventually get back to his old self, but in the meantime we will struggle to get much traction. 

11 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

And JR should have demanded that power or not taken the job; he just looks like a clown. Let's face the fact; this was one last trip to the money trough for him; he isnt engaged enough to make change, just badmouth the team he is in charge of.

Totally agree.  JR (IMHAO) is an old guy who wants to stay connected to the upper management of an NHL team.  I think he knows what’s needed here, and is suggesting it in his interviews.  But there’s a roadblock. 

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

But he isn't a top line guy.

He plays wing, with Bo on the second line; because of brutal defensive issues with him at center.

Miller played as our 1C last season and was great.  He’s a first line, first unit PP guy.  

JR is responsible for

Miller's   $8 mill for 7 year deal- next year

and 

Brock's   6.65 for 3 years

Mik's       4.75 mill for 4 years

then a bunch of minimum wage guys.

So lack of cap space is not, solely, a JB caused problem.

isn't  new management supposed to be better than old management?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

JR is responsible for

Miller's   $8 mill for 7 year deal- next year

and 

Brock's   6.65 for 3 years

Mik's       4.75 mill for 4 years

then a bunch of minimum wage guys.

So lack of cap space is not, solely, a JB caused problem.

isn't  new management supposed to be better than old management?

We have to have players in the roster.

Miks speed is needed as JR talked about.

Miller played sensational last season. Allvin would have been tared and forced out of town ig he didn’t sign Miller.

Boeser, here it’s kind of expensive but I don’t know how his injuries are. That is something Allvin knows.

So one out of three I kind of agree.

I noticed Boeser last game as a positive note.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

With the Salary Cap you can't wave a magic wand and get rid of everyone.

As well if you were a GM of another team, would you want anyone other than say our younger players, Petey, and Hughes right now?

Not unless we take back their struggling overpaid older guy.  Sure we could move Myers, OEL, Boeser but we are getting back a guy on a similar contract who is not going to help us be better in two or three years.  

We have to stop trading away picks.  Should have kept Dickinson and our second. We need more picks, not less.

Keep:

Pettersson

Horvat

Kuzmenko

Podkolzin

Garland

Aman

Studnicka

Lazar

Hughes

Schenn

Burroughs

Dermott

Bear

Demko (I think he can bounce back)

Martin

Trade everyone else, bring in cheaper vets to get through the season. Collect 2023 and 2024 Draft picks. It doesn't have to be a complete tear down.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1