The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This management group thus far: Laziness? Incompetence? Victims of cap issues?

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

I think this management only saw the second half of last season, and made their evaluation based mainly on that.

But they were not familiar with the team that was before Bruce came in, which is the true identity of this Canucks team.

So they were expecting something close to that team they saw after they came in.

To be fair, no one expected this kind of result from Demko though.

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

To be a little fair, I don't think anyone expected us to be this bad, even management.  

Really ? They didn't? ^^^^ ^_^ 11 months ago.

They've been this bad for the better part of a decade in the same fashion, so how would this be a surprise to management?

This shouldn't be shocking . If it is , they are just as clueless as trader Jim. 

Gee, it's almost like I've herd this all before , "Like,  umm , so, like over and over", as a wise man I once knew might say. 

" I still believe in this group of players , yet I brought in 11 new ones ".

Makes sense. It's almost like they ran things " day to day", not long term. Can't remember where I herd that before , but pretty sure a wise man I once knew was quoted saying that too. 

More accurate would be :

"Sooooo,  like, I sort of think a few of these players are,  like,  really good and stuff,  maybe, but ....ummmm, I like think we may have totally f'd up there mental development ."

"So, i'm like totally not sure of anything right now other than I wish this bottle of water was pure moonshine. I still believe in this group and stuff though". 

This start isn't shocking.  What would be shocking would be if they managed to not be 27th in the league for once. 

When you f up a teams cohesive development  and chemistry,  it's almost impossible to fix it, especially with young players.  Aside Pettersson and Hughes,  it's likely a total teardown from what we've seen so far. 

Shout out to the Buffalo Sabres. We are right there with you guys. You can thank the off season after the bubble run for this. The complete incompetence to even respectfully contact the UFA'S that held this team together mentally was by far and away the turning point. 

" listen up young guys , if you dedicate yourself to this team for most of your hockey career,  we will likely not even bother to call you when we decide to move on".

I wonder why nobody cares on this team for f sakes. You can't trade or sign your way out of that. 

Edited by cuporbust

The second paragraph starts with this group making a rushed decision.  LOL.  This group doesn’t rush. 
‘They are handicapped with bad players on big contracts, or at least players not living up to their contracts. Need 2 to make deals and nobody is lining up to take OEL or Myers on those deals. 
‘It will take a few years to get out of Benning’s mess but doubling down on it by re-signing Miller will be a mistake if they don’t trade him this season.

The D is a mess sure but that has a lot to do with the forwards not doing their part. Even the commentators were laughing at the Canucks fly byes last night. Brock and JTM have put in some of the most lapse, lazy hockey I have ever seen from “good” players. This is JTM supposedly focusing on a 200ft game. TBH from some of the veiled comments out there and some of the things he has said, I don’t think he came to camp in shape.  
‘The team is a mess and it kind of seems that they finally know it.  The cap is a big problem both internally and externally. The on;y saving grace is that some teams like St. Louis are struggling terribly and may be open to making some “hockey” moves as almost any deal at this time will have to be dollar in for dollar out at least until closer to deadline.
‘The whole “first line” from last night needs to go. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Other then no speed, no size, no defenseman, no discipline,, the team is actually quite good!  They do have skill but a lot of players that just want to ride coat tails.. petterson, hughes and schenn are about it for heart.   Team has no grit and no prospects from a very poor draft record outside first round last 10 years. 

Edited by cocanuck
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Owner refuses to take a step back.  Does it really matter who the management is, when the club needs to take a step back but the owner refused?  The owner sets the direction here.  He needs to allow JR to do what needs to be done. 

Nope you are so far out to lunch, JR has the complete control of this team. Maybe your hero Benning was in that situation...

9 minutes ago, cocanuck said:

And who,, by the way teaches this penalty kill structure??  Seriously?  Why not go to a simple pressure box?  This current method is proven to be awful!!

The statistics showed that Miller was the cause of the bad PK earlier.

I complained about Miller from the first or at least second season he played here.

He liked to get an advantage to get more points.

Does he play on PK just to try get short handed goals? 
I don’t know because I’ve watched only two games at the end now.

But if he plays a more risky game trying to get a breakaway or be ready for a pass close to the blue line you know what he wants.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Nope you are so far out to lunch, JR has the complete control of this team. Maybe your hero Benning was in that situation...

We shall soon see if JR has complete control of the club’s direction.  He’s already said several times Boudreau isn’t his preferred coach.  Is there a preferred coach coming?  JR has also said we (fans) will see players we like go.  There will be hard choices, and steps back.  If these things happen, then JR is setting the direction.  If not, then Aquilini is continuing his control and refusing any steps back.  Same direction he gave to Nonis, Gillis, Benning. 

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The statistics showed that Miller was the cause of the bad PK earlier.

I complained about Miller from the first or at least second season he played here.

He liked to get an advantage to get more points.

Does he play on PK just to try get short handed goals? 
I don’t know because I’ve watched only two games at the end now.

But if he plays a more risky game trying to get a breakaway or be ready for a pass close to the blue line you know what he wants.

Miller is very similar to Huberdough.  Just be thankful we didn’t pay the cap hit the Loser Lames did.  

They're a victim of the spillover frustration from fans who realized Benning was wasting the last 8 years of their and this teams life. And the previous cognitive dissonance of defending JB and absolving him of responsibility ("it takes 8 years to rebuild the GMMG prospect pipeline") has morphed into projected anger at this mgmt group who are convenient scapegoats holding Bennings bag (though some of it is their unforced error)

Again I'm willing to see how they perform this TDL and offseason Before annointing them bad. This group has yet to have their "hamhuis" moment.

Edited by DSVII

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

So, basically, the issue really isn't management - it's players playing below their expectations.

I would tend to lean this way on it. OEL-Myers was a decent pairing last year, this year it looks like they've aged 7 years since last season. Demko... yeeesh. PK is a strange mess.

What else do you need to stink in this league? 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Owner refuses to take a step back.  Does it really matter who the management is, when the club needs to take a step back but the owner refused?  The owner sets the direction here.  He needs to allow JR to do what needs to be done. 

Owner hired JR because he has the same qualities.  Impatience, Burke was right. 
JR doesn’t want to rebuild he didn’t come out of retirement to rebuild through the draft. 
‘Look for “hockey trades” coming and likely it will be our underperforming crap for St. louis’ underperforming crap or something along those lines. Doubt the under 26 stuff (the Linden Vey rule) holds for long as we keep losing. 
‘I think we are a president/GM or 2 away from finally rebuilding.