The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cant miss opportunity again. Trade Horvat now before Kane, Toews, Teresenko flood market

Rate this topic

Lumme21

Vancouver clearly missed an opportunity last year to rebuild by trading Miller, Horvat, Garland, Boeser etc at last years trade deadline. Clearly, we can't miss another opportunity to trade these pieces to get future assets to build a contender around, but I also believe we can't afford to wait until the TD. The trade value for Horvat in particular may never get better. By trading pieces now we help our chances to bottom out (tank) in one of the strongest drafts ever.. If we wait, teams looking to unload UFA's will take advantage of our management not wanting to make a bold move and we will be left on the sideline yet again. Getting business done now will help us secure a top 5 pick and a potential franchise piece such as Beddard, Michkov, Fantilli or Benson before players like Toews, Kane, O'Reilly and Teresenko flood the market.

Another advantage of getting business done early would be the opportunity for management to clearly present a believable plan to the fan base to make this team a contender again, however I fear we will just move Schenn at the TD (similar to Motte last year) and continue to be sold the 'retool on the fly' BS.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 2

25 minutes ago, Lumme21 said:

Vancouver clearly missed an opportunity last year to rebuild by trading Miller, Horvat, Garland, Boeser etc at last years trade deadline. Clearly, we can't miss another opportunity to trade these pieces to get future assets to build a contender around, but I also believe we can't afford to wait until the TD. The trade value for Horvat in particular may never get better. By trading pieces now we help our chances to bottom out (tank) in one of the strongest drafts ever.. If we wait, teams looking to unload UFA's will take advantage of our management not wanting to make a bold move and we will be left on the sideline yet again. Getting business done now will help us secure a top 5 pick and a potential franchise piece such as Beddard, Michkov, Fantilli or Benson before players like Toews, Kane, O'Reilly and Teresenko flood the market.

Another advantage of getting business done early would be the opportunity for management to clearly present a believable plan to the fan base to make this team a contender again, however I fear we will just move Schenn at the TD (similar to Motte last year) and continue to be sold the 'retool on the fly' BS.

No rush Bo Horvat value is really going up..Horvat 27, C -6'0--215 lbs solid 200 foot game 58% in face off-- PP - PK

play 20--22 mins would fit in with so many teams ready to contend.. One would be LA kings and they have lots of great prospects under 23..

Toews 34 C -- Kane 32 W -- Teresenko 30 W .. Team will be way more interested in trade for Horvat over other players mentioned..

I would rather move Miller then Horvat..

• Cheers 1

There's no guarantee Toews actually leaves Chicago and he'll be 35 even if he walks to UFA. Not a longer term option for any team. He's got quite a legacy in Chicago, I'm not sure he leaves regardless of where they're at competitively. Same goes for Kane. 

Kane and Tarasenko are wingers, that won't have any impact on Horvat's marketability. 

The only center who's likely to really compete with him in terms of trade marketability is maybe Larkin in Detroit, given he's also a pending UFA. But I reckon Detroit will retain him if they can. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

There's no guarantee Toews actually leaves Chicago and he'll be 35 even if he walks to UFA. Not a longer term option for any team. He's got quite a legacy in Chicago, I'm not sure he leaves regardless of where they're at competitively. Same goes for Kane. 

Kane and Tarasenko are wingers, that won't have any impact on Horvat's marketability. 

The only center who's likely to really compete with him in terms of trade marketability is maybe Larkin in Detroit, given he's also a pending UFA. But I reckon Detroit will retain him if they can. 

I could see a team go after Ryan O'Reilly instead of Horvat - Oreilly's a Cup winner and penalty killer and likely be cheaper. I agree that Larkin will likely resign in Toronto.

I think people are also overlooking the need to trade Horvat while he's scoring at the rate he is so that we don't finish just out of the playoffs. Trading him now may enable us to drop a couple points in the standings and that alone is worth a lot considering the quality of this draft.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Lumme21 said:

I could see a team go after Ryan O'Reilly instead of Horvat - Oreilly's a Cup winner and penalty killer and likely be cheaper. I agree that Larkin will likely resign in Toronto.

I think people are also overlooking the need to trade Horvat while he's scoring at the rate he is so that we don't finish just out of the playoffs. Trading him now may enable us to drop a couple points in the standings and that alone is worth a lot considering the quality of this draft.

You are aware ROR hasn't been all that great right? That he's got two goals in twelve games and that they're his only points thus far? Sure, he's a great defensive forward and could bounce back but as of right now I question how many teams would be looking at him to shore up their center position. Particularly with a cap hit of 7.5M. 

Whether we should or shouldn't trade Horvat is a broad debate to be sure, but I'm just responding to the names you've pointed out. 

I do think there's a good chance Bo ends up being moved, and I do see the potential upside, as someone who was arguing his value to the team throughout the summer even. But I also recognize we don't currently have anyone on the roster or in the system who can immediately step up and replace what he brings. 

8 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

sign Horvat

And how would we then get the 2 right handed D men we need to be a cup contender? The penalty killing center man?

I would have traded both Miller and Horvat  last year, along with Boeser. Still would trade both, but Miller's value is tanked now with the extension.

3 minutes ago, Lumme21 said:

And how would we then get the 2 right handed D men we need to be a cup contender? The penalty killing center man?

I would have traded both Miller and Horvat  last year, along with Boeser. Still would trade both, but Miller's value is tanked now with the extension.

Yeah, I mean what win now team would want a 1PPG power forward that can win draws, on an expiring bargain deal with a below market value extension in place...?

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I mean what win now team would want a 1PPG power forward that can win draws, on an expiring bargain deal with a below market value extension in place...?

Ah, Miller's face off percentage is less then 50% not to mention the fact that the Canucks have to move him to wing as he is a defensive liability.

Maybe people would believe that last year, but that balloon has popped.

6 minutes ago, Lumme21 said:

Ah, Miller's face off percentage is less then 50% not to mention the fact that the Canucks have to move him to wing as he is a defensive liability.

Maybe people would believe that last year, but that balloon has popped.

Did I say he wasn't a wing (though he is playing C again tonight)?

He's a 1ppg power forward winger than can win draws and pitch in at C on an expiring bargain deal, with a below market extension in place.

You're high if you think that wouldn't still be valuable to win-now teams around the league.

• Cheers 1