The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Nov. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

That’s interesting. I missed that, can you give a quick recap?

There was an allegation that a team submitted their envelope, having previously wet it down with a water sprayer, then froze it .

Thinking the extra weight would make it more 'pick/ grabbable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I get it. There will always be questions no matter how they do it but taking it behind closed doors makes it worse not better.

Add in the cardinal sin of turning something that should be an exciting event into something totally boring and cringeworthy. 

Yeah I can appreciate that. I guess for the people that really believe there is a big cheat going on they could attempt to appease them but I truly question how they could do that. These people are already hellbent on it being a conspiracy. What would actually satisfy there doubt?

I honestly find the concept of rigging it completely and utterly flawed from a business concept pov so it just doesn't resonate or make any sense to me at all. Either way the NHL still owns the player/product. It's not going to drastically change revenue one way or the other, unless if a team like Arizona wins it that's a situation where star power can create revenue power in a otherwise tapped market, but how much and for who is a big question. Traditionally it's not great business sense to totally try to cheat people for marginal gain when you already have a very profitable business model.

I have to wonder though why would anyone watch or care about the league at all if they think it's rigged. This isn't wrestling there is no entertainment value in "cheating" in this situation.

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

No that’ll be this coming draft when the system works flawlessly. Ariz gets bedard.  

I still don't quite understand your expectations here. Is is bad or good if Arizona gets in your view, or should the Canucks get it, or should the last place team get it, or they don't deserve it if they are tanking, or how exactly should it go according to your view?

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I can appreciate that. I guess for the people that really believe there is a big cheat going on they could attempt to appease them but I truly question how they could do that. These people are already hellbent on it being a conspiracy. What would actually satisfy there doubt?

I honestly find the concept of rigging it completely and utterly flawed from a business concept pov so it just doesn't resonate or make any sense to me at all. Either way the NHL still owns the player/product. It's not going to drastically change revenue one way or the other, unless if a team like Arizona wins it that's a situation where star power can create revenue power in a otherwise tapped market, but how much and for who is a big question. Traditionally it's not great business sense to totally try to cheat people for marginal gain when you already have a very profitable business model.

I have to wonder though why would anyone watch or care about the league at all if they think it's rigged. This isn't wrestling there is no entertainment value in "cheating" in this situation.

I still don't quite understand your expectations here. Is is bad or good if Arizona gets in your view, or should the Canucks get it, or should the last place team get it, or they don't deserve it if they are tanking, or how exactly should it go according to your view?

Well Boston fixed the 2011 Stanley Cup so why would the NBA be any better? Well for that matter there are more gangsters in the NBA so it is totally doable. :)  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I guess the obvious question would be if it's rigged why on earth did the best player on the planet go to Edmonton? Totally the worst of all possible places.

You mentioned this. We argued the current draft format which I’m not sold on. I facicously said the system would work flawlessly. Not into humour huh? Whooosh.