The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 WJHC Pool - Group B (First Come First Serve)

AriGold

8 hours ago, AriGold said:

Please check your team on the lineup for any mistakes and let me know.

image.png.34f3098ce3035e5d74209c5dd13182ae.png

Spoiler
NYMAN Jani: 3 points
Position: Forward
GP G A PTS PIM SOG +/- GWG PPG SHG
3 2 1 3

KAPANEN Oliver: 2 points
3 1 1 2 0
CARLSSON Leo: 2 points
3 0 2 2 0

VILEN Topias: 1 point
Position: Defender
3 0 1 1 0
ENGSTROM Adam: 3 points (is my Defender replacing Seamus Casey)
Position: Defender
3 1 2 3 0   +6 1 0 0

......Finland Goalies: 2 points

Details in the spoiler but as of end of games today I have 13 points.

On 12/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, AJay said:

Why did they want to lose?

OH i think they wanted overtime, but to win. mixed bag and hard to explain without paragraphs explaining Finland's motivation internationallly. Long story short: playing sweden and knocking them out of medal contention is more important to the people of Finland than even a gold medal for Finland is. No one sets out to lose, but gm's and coaches can set out to gerrymander the resulting points if they think it could lead to a preferential first round matchup against say Sweden. B2 vs A3 or B3 vs A2, was my line of thinking.

Edit: if the USA win, and Slovakia wins and Canada wins tomorrow: this exact set up happens to be true. Finland V Sweden in round one of the knockout stages. 

Spoiler

My ancestor moved to Finland from our ancestral family farm Near Gothenburg, Sweden on a 'second sons' program where the Swedish Karl was trying to dominate Finland and keep it in the empire forever, generous tracts of Finn land was taken from the local nobles and given to second sons of Swedish lords: ones who would not inherit their families estates in Sweden. Finland has never forgotten this and hates the Swedes almost as much as the Russians. Almost. But yeah, it was just a side thought that perhaps Finland wanted to finish 2nd or 3rd and not 1st in the pool in order to stop Sweden from even having a chance at a medal game. It wouldn't be outside the box thinking from the Finn perspective. hehehe, then again, i was high when i wrote that. 

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

OH i think they wanted overtime, but to win. mixed bag and hard to explain without paragraphs explaining Finland's motivation internationallly. Long story short: playing sweden and knocking them out of medal contention is more important to the people of Finland than even a gold medal for Finland is. No one sets out to lose, but gm's and coaches can set out to gerrymander the resulting points if they think it could lead to a preferential first round matchup against say Sweden. B2 vs A3 or B3 vs A2, was my line of thinking.

Edit: if the USA win, and Slovakia wins and Canada wins tomorrow: this exact set up happens to be true. Finland V Sweden in round one of the knockout stages. 

Hide contents

My ancestor moved to Finland from our ancestral family farm Near Gothenburg, Sweden on a 'second sons' program where the Swedish Karl was trying to dominate Finland and keep it in the empire forever, generous tracts of Finn land was taken from the local nobles and given to second sons of Swedish lords: ones who would not inherit their families estates in Sweden. Finland has never forgotten this and hates the Swedes almost as much as the Russians. Almost. But yeah, it was just a side thought that perhaps Finland wanted to finish 2nd or 3rd and not 1st in the pool in order to stop Sweden from even having a chance at a medal game. It wouldn't be outside the box thinking from the Finn perspective. hehehe, then again, i was high when i wrote that. 

What you wrote in the hidden text is remarkably similar in regards to how the English treated the Scots 700 - 800 years ago. 

Then there was the practice of Ius Primae Noctis practiced in Europe.

Feudal lords having the right of " first night" with the "native women"  usually on their wedding nights. 

• There it is 1