The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

Just researched this tiny tidbit, but this has absolutely got to sting. Breel Embolo scored the lone goal in Switzerland's victory over his birth country Cameroon. Talk about adding salt to a wound. 

Obviously Embolo immigrated to Switzerland quite young and is clearly a Swiss national, but I definitely feel Cameroonian fans' pain. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
spelling

14 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Another Netherlands = Canucks stat. 

The Netherlands national football team made its first appearance at the FIFA World Cup in 1934 in Italy. The Dutch hold the record for playing the most World Cup finals without ever winning the tournament. 

Tell me about it. As a fan of both teams (and the Buffalo Bills) I know this as well as anyone.

I'm not Dutch, but my first experience was the 1974 World Cup and watching Johan Cruyff, Johan Neeskens and the rest of the Netherlands' side made me a fan for life. I still cheer for England, (as that is mostly my heritage) but I always pull for Holland as well.

I sat through two consecutive losses in the finals (West Germany in '74 and Argentina in '78) and then again in 2010 as they fell to Spain.

I'll be backing them again this time around, along with England, but I fully expect both sides to bow out in the Knockout stage....

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

So apparently Celtic are in for Alistair Johnston.

He played well last night but don’t know much about him. Any good?

Plays for CF Montreal ( Impact).  Defender.  They were pretty good this past season.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

10 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

So apparently Celtic are in for Alistair Johnston.

He played well last night but don’t know much about him. Any good?

Not exceptional at anything but he defends and attacks quite well.  Scottish Premiership probably a good step-up from the MLS.

His involvement on the first goal is one of my favourite highlights of his.

• Cheers 1

On 11/23/2022 at 4:54 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Sorry to be that guy, but honestly, I'm a bit tired of seeing all these headlines and opinions on what a great effort it was and how we were the better team, but unlucky....moral victories don't count in the standings and this was a huge missed opportunity.

With Croatia and Morroco playing to a draw, 1 point would have been a fantastic result. It would have meant that we had the toughest game out of the way with everyone even in the table and the Belgians would have had to go all out in their next two.

And we still don't have an effing World Cup goal....<_<

Yep.  The way Canada came out in the first fifteen minutes I thought we were going to win the game.  That's what makes the loss harder to take.

On the other hand, if, four years ago, someone had told me we'd be upset because Canada didn't beat the world's number 2 ranked team in the 2022 World Cup, I'd have thought they were crazy. 

Regardless of what happens in Qatar, this team has made enormous progress.  

Looking forward to Sunday.

8 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

England plays USA Tomorrow, hoping England wins easily

10:45 am PST on TSN1 and Fox.

Looking forward to it.

I have mixed feelings about it.   I wouldn't mind seeing the US lose.  But I also like to see CONCACAF teams do well in the tournament.  Makes our first place finish in qualifying look all the better.

6 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

10:45 am PST on TSN1 and Fox.

Looking forward to it.

I have mixed feelings about it.   I wouldn't mind seeing the US lose.  But I also like to see CONCACAF teams do well in the tournament.  Makes our first place finish in qualifying look all the better.

US wont win and I dont like them winning. Would inflate their ego so much. Hope US loses 7-0 

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

wow great win by iran. They will advance beyond the group stage. US is not good and I doubt they can beat iran. US will lose to England for sure.

The U.S. have a great team.  They don't have the best coach, IMO, but they have tons of good talent within their midfield and attack.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they pulled a draw vs England.