The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

The Dutch are good enough to beat the USA. Yes they haven’t been at their best but they arguable have one of the best defences in the competition and have plenty of attacking width and Gakpo looks a handful.

their defence is strong enough that one of the best defenders in the premier league didn’t even make their squad. 

if usa beats netherlands then they'd face argentina 99% (0.01% chance for australia). 

41 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Yes you did although there is no way Canada qualifies if it was in Uefa, even USA and Mexico would struggle 

Canada was top of Concacaf.  They beat out US, Mexico Costa Rica.  It's not Euro cup, it's world cup. I like this format. Gives some countries chance to play upset.   Low scoring games like soccer, one game takes all tournaments, it's easy to see upsets. 

My thoughts:

Fantastic second half of the game. Inches from a draw and the first ever point in the World Cup.

Canada was competitive against Belgium ranked 2nd and Morocco ranked 22nd in the world fifa rankings. We are 41st.

We basically played 1.5/3 games of exceptional soccer. Croatia was the only disappointment for me.

Overall it was an impressive performance for a country ranked 41st in the world and at their first World Cup in 36 years. I think we exceeded any realistic expectations going in.

I will always remember that 1st goal. Davies provided me with the memory of a lifetime like when Crosby scored the golden goal.

The fact the World Cup is expanding to 48 teams means Canadians can at a base line expect we qualify for every World Cup from here on out, so our first appearance certainly won’t be our last even after we host in 2026. We do belong on this stage, that much is clear.

We have holes, especially in midfield and D that need help if we want to go past the Group stage.

We lack depth. We have way too many positions where an injury massively changes the quality of the player replacing them. One of the biggest challenges in the World Cup is having enough people to cope with injuries with and not lose any level of performance.

A few bounces here or there and we’d see Canada potentially moving forward this year. That’s sports for you, sometimes you get lucky, others you don’t.

The team as a whole needs more speed capabilities, both in passing and sprinting. If you can beat your opponent in a race you get far greater scoring opportunities then if you’re only matching or slightly falling behind. Same with handling and passing the ball at high speed. Quick passes and movements with the ball leads to more scoring chances because the opponents D is constantly having to react to your movement. They’re always a step behind, which gives you an advantage.

Borjan I’m sorry to say needs to retire. It wasn’t just the obvious mistake today, in most of the goals scored against us he was out of basic goaltending position. There were a lot of stoppable goals had he been where he needed to be. Whereas in the qualifying games up to the big stage he was spectacular, he was pretty terrible when it mattered most. I think Crepeau should take over, hopefully his injury heals soon. It’s nothing against him personally, his story is inspiring and his choice to represent Canada and how he’s done over his career is worthy of love and praise, but we need the best team possible on the world stage.

Vitoria also. Bad positioning and not enough soccer IQ or speed. Never got to hear his background story, but I’m sure it’s of someone we should be proud of as a country for his performance wearing our jersey. That said again, we need the best team possible.

Everyone else was pretty good and I’m supportive of Herdman as head coach again for the next Cup.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Canada was top of Concacaf.  They beat out US, Mexico Costa Rica.  It's not Euro cup, it's world cup. I like this format. Gives some countries chance to play upset.   Low scoring games like soccer, one game takes all tournaments, it's easy to see upsets. 

I’m well aware it’s the World Cup and not the European Championship, and well aware of Canadas placing in concacaf. I was referring to if USA, Mexico and Canada were in European qualifying groups. They would struggle

2 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Borjan was better last year.  This year, even for club in the few UELhe seemed a little off.  They finished last in their group.

No man Borjan always make boneheaded plays. 
Imagine we actually have the Moroccan keeper today who plays for Sevilla and is BORN in Quebec

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I’m well aware it’s the World Cup and not the European Championship, and well aware of Canadas placing in concacaf. I was referring to if USA, Mexico and Canada were in European qualifying groups. They would struggle

Italy, even a bad version, could make it out of Concacaf.  They failed to get out of Euro qualifying. 

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Italy, even a bad version, could make it out of Concacaf.  They failed to get out of Euro qualifying. 

It's quite unbelievable that Italy won Euro 2020 against all the European competition, but then couldn't even qualify for the World Cup.  Just shows you how competitive Europe really is...

• Cheers 1

My god that group E. Craziest group ever. I thought for sure Spain and Germany were both getting through and Japan choked their chance at progressing. Now Japan tops the group? Costa Rica briefly shocked the world for just a moment before Germany makes a furious comeback only to go home.

6 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Japan wins the group.  Crazy.  Germany out.

Germany had a big chance to beat Spain, but instead of shooting, tried to walk around for a perfect cross and didn't score.

I didn't see the controversial goal in the Spain-Japan game, but Germany has nobody else to blame but themselves for going home early.

3 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Germany had a big chance to beat Spain, but instead of shooting, tried to walk around for a perfect cross and didn't score.

I didn't see the controversial goal in the Spain-Japan game, but Germany has nobody else to blame but themselves for going home early.

Ya, there was no clear and obvious footage that the ball was out, but it was damn close.  Germany have themselves to blame with the way they played against Spain and Japan.  Totally agree. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, allegend said:

Wow! I am still shaking my head at Japan's second goal. Different angles on VAR and the ball appeared to be out.

Lucky for Japan, but very unfortunate for Germany. :sadno:

Yes, I just saw it now and it clearly looks out (though it could be an angle thing). This will lead to speculation that Qatar wanted Germany out for their earlier political actions, but I also think Spain wanted Germany out, so they didn't mind either.

Either way, Germany just needed a tie against Japan to have moved on, but they started flat. The young, fast players played well for Germany, but I think the team will look quite different in 4 years, especially in net (not blaming Neuer, but he isn't the same either).

Edited by c00kies
  • Cheers 1