The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Nux have given permission for Boeser’s agent to talk to other teams

RWJC

59 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

1st bolded is a BIG assumption. I'd doubt Boeser garners a true blue chip, maaaybe a late 1st to a contender. I still think we are better off keeping him and hoping for a bounce back.

2nd bolded is a good point. But if we are retaining on Boeser we aren't clearing all of his 6.6M cap hit.

The entire point of retaining is to up the value.

Retaining $1.6 million leaves you $5 million for the offseason which is a big chunk.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure, it would be great to do a full dumperoo of Brock but any team getting him will want retention or sugar.  Maybe both?

I just want the Canucks to move on from BB. (even if he didn't have the big pay)

He isn't one since being here that has worked on improving himself or his weaknesses since being here

He seems to just play it safe, collect his big pay with lil effort to get involved or any intensity, we need players with drive to be the best for themselves and the team

• Wat 1

`You all are impatient. I hope management is not. Brock is more than the flow or whatever. He had some issues, both personal, psychological and physical and he looks to have grown over that this year. Yeah, youre not seeing points or whatever but you are seeing confidence, presence, shots, open in the right spots. even playing on 3rd lines.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

`You all are impatient. I hope management is not. Brock is more than the flow or whatever. He had some issues, both personal, psychological and physical and he looks to have grown over that this year. Yeah, youre not seeing points or whatever but you are seeing confidence, presence, shots, open in the right spots. even playing on 3rd lines.

And his shot is coming back with his confidence. His rookie year shot will come back very soon

On 2/24/2023 at 4:37 AM, EdgarM said:

I think it would be Greenway +player and the Wild have a couple million in cap space so it wouldn't need to be 50% retained IMO.

They also have their own players to extend.  CapFriendly shows them with 8.4M in cap space next season and a roster of 15.  

Guerin has been open that he can't be adding term given their cap situation next season and will actually have to make room of their own to be able to afford the players they wish to keep.  That's in part why Greenway is on the block.  Boeser at 50% retained is already more than Greenways' 3M. 

The Wild have cap space to add this deadline (~10M) but it's next season the concern where their buyouts increase by another 2M to reach 14.7M for another 2 seasons.

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, mll said:

They also have their own players to extend.  CapFriendly shows them with 8.4M in cap space next season and a roster of 15.  

Guerin has been open that he can't be adding term given their cap situation next season and will actually have to make room of their own to be able to afford the players they wish to keep.  That's in part why Greenway is on the block.  Boeser at 50% retained is already more than Greenways' 3M. 

The Wild have cap space to add this deadline but it's next season the concern where their buyouts increase by another 2M to reach 14.7M for another 2 seasons.

And to be honest, Brock moving is horrible anyways. He is just starting to get back. Brock was an all-star. he will be again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Dude, its obvious he isnt a player you want on your team if you want to be a contending team.  He doesn't have the tools.  Get over it. 

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Brock "little things" boeser.

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Dude, its obvious he isnt a player you want on your team if you want to be a contending team.  He doesn't have the tools.  Get over it. 

Unless the Canucks can get value in a trade, I think we should wait, at least until the off season where more teams will have some cap flexibility.

Trading him while his stock is low doesn’t make sense to me. 

My preference would be to give him the off season to try and fully recover, and strengthen up his game.   

So, the Canucks will likely trade him for a B prospect, and retain 50%…

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Unless the Canucks can get value in a trade, I think we should wait, at least until the off season where more teams will have some cap flexibility.

Trading him while his stock is low doesn’t make sense to me. 

My preference would be to give him the off season to try and fully recover, and strengthen up his game.   

So, the Canucks will likely trade him for a B prospect, and retain 50%…

Miller and schenn are the only ones they absolutely need to make a decision on this week.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Fans need to understand that Boeser isn't going anywhere unless the return is solid. We are not going to dump Boeser just for the sake of dumping him.

Either equivalent  value comes back or he will be here at camp next September.

If you think we're moving him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, give your head a shake and stop listening to the media. There is ZERO reason for us to sell low.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Fans need to understand that Boeser isn't going anywhere unless the return is solid. We are not going to dump Boeser just for the sake of dumping him.

If you think we're moving him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, give your head a shake and stop listening to the media. There is ZERO reason for us to sell low.

I wouldn't say zero reason, cap space is pretty important to the growth of this team going fwd

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

One big reason, the Salary cap. We have spent on the wing in the off-season, we have spent more on the wing during the season and have only moved money out of the middle. 
The salary structure of this team is upside down. We are spending huge on wing and left D and nothing elsewhere. That needs to start to be rectified. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

One big reason, the Salary cap. We have spent on the wing in the off-season, we have spent more on the wing during the season and have only moved money out of the middle. 
The salary structure of this team is upside down. We are spending huge on wing and left D and nothing elsewhere. That needs to start to be rectified. 

As I said in another post, Boeser is NOT who we are targeting to create cap space. If there's a good young player that we can trade for who has a lower cap hit and fits the long-term view of this team, then yes, cap relief will be part of the equation.

Our cap dumps will happen in the off season.

#1. Myers will be moved, likely to Arizona or another cash strapped team, once his 5 million is paid, leaving 1 million to pay. That's an attractive contract to teams who don't want to spend more than the cap floor.

#2. I believe that this will be OEL's last season here, whether that means buyout or retain and move. I don't think he's a bad D, but his contract is about 1.5 - 2 million high on what we are currently paying. Yes, he holds a NMC, so he will either provide us with a short list of teams he's willing to go to, or I believe he will be bought out leaving a cap hit of under 150k for next season and in the 2 million range for the next few after that. I believe the team will see that as reasonable based on the fact that the cap is expected to start increasing a little more this summer and a lot more in the years after. He is taking up too much cap space on the left side. If he was RD, we'd probably keep him and he'd just be playing with Hughes on the top unit.

50/50 that we move Miller at the deadline. Not because he's not playing well, but because at 50% retention (current deal only), he will be an attractive add for teams who are looking for offense. If we could do a 3 way trade, imagine adding Miller to your team for around 1.3 million hit for the playoffs with the ability to move him at the draft, before his NMC kicks in.

Those 2 moves alone will free up about 13 million this off season with no other major contracts needing extension for next season while leaving at least Poolman on LTIR for the remainder of his contract.

In short, Boeser is worth MORE to us here and at next deadline if we decide to move him. His value will be better on the trade market if a team can have the choice of just walking away the following summer.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, there definitely need to be multiple moves, but paying $6m+ for a guy worth half that makes no sense

If you look around the NHL, .75 points per game while having a rough year, 6 million is not out of line with what teams are paying for that type of production.

Yes, I agree that we should be getting more from him, and that Allvin and JR banked on him being able to bounce back this year, but then he got that weird hand injury, which I believe is still bugging him. I actually think that he will have hand surgery in the off season and that they might shut him down after the trade deadline and just start getting him ready for next season. 

Can almost guarantee you that they won't flush him, just for the sake of flushing him. The team has not lost faith in him. If they intended to just flush him, they would have done it already. His agent has been talking to people, if there was a deal that didn't involve us retaining (as is required with almost every contract over 1 million right now for teams in contention), Canucks would have already done it.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

As I said in another post, Boeser is NOT who we are targeting to create cap space. If there's a good young player that we can trade for who has a lower cap hit and fits the long-term view of this team, then yes, cap relief will be part of the equation.

Our cap dumps will happen in the off season.

#1. Myers will be moved, likely to Arizona or another cash strapped team, once his 5 million is paid, leaving 1 million to pay. That's an attractive contract to teams who don't want to spend more than the cap floor.

#2. I believe that this will be OEL's last season here, whether that means buyout or retain and move. I don't think he's a bad D, but his contract is about 1.5 - 2 million high on what we are currently paying. Yes, he holds a NMC, so he will either provide us with a short list of teams he's willing to go to, or I believe he will be bought out leaving a cap hit of under 150k for next season and in the 2 million range for the next few after that. I believe the team will see that as reasonable based on the fact that the cap is expected to start increasing a little more this summer and a lot more in the years after. He is taking up too much cap space on the left side. If he was RD, we'd probably keep him and he'd just be playing with Hughes on the top unit.

50/50 that we move Miller at the deadline. Not because he's not playing well, but because at 50% retention (current deal only), he will be an attractive add for teams who are looking for offense. If we could do a 3 way trade, imagine adding Miller to your team for around 1.3 million hit for the playoffs with the ability to move him at the draft, before his NMC kicks in.

Those 2 moves alone will free up about 13 million this off season with no other major contracts needing extension for next season while leaving at least Poolman on LTIR for the remainder of his contract.

In short, Boeser is worth MORE to us here and at next deadline if we decide to move him. His value will be better on the trade market if a team can have the choice of just walking away the following summer.

I will believe Myers is moveable when I see it. Arizona is taking bad contracts for a cost, not paying for them.  There are bad contracts all over the league, they can’t all go to Arizona for cap relief. 
I doubt there is a team in the league that takes OEL at $5M. Last year he was a $5M d-man I think it is fair to say, this year I don’t think he has played like a $3M D-man. Complicate that with his NMC it is buyout or tank commander with OEL. 
That is some 4d chess on Miller.  I do think there are a couple spots he would be moveable currently. Carolina makes so much sense as well as young up and comers like Buffalo that may have trouble attracting players. Winnipeg?  They could have a couple big names leaving after next season. Still don’t think he gets moved mostly because it is the right thing to do and that isn’t our wheelhouse. 
None of these moves other than the very unlikely Miller trade moves money off the wing. Then the plan is to start bidding on UFAs again? So more Benning plan UFAs and selling assets to get rid of the bad contracts you signed a few years before. 
Team needs extensive rebuild but isn’t going to get it.  UFAs and short cut deals coming, I can feel it. More acting like we are a contender just trying to complement the core we haven’t built.