The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] December 5 2022 - Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens - 7:30pm PT/10:30pm ET - Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

Tonight's the night...

Brock starts to play like his rookie season self. Miller begins to see Brock's efforts and begins backchecking too.. Bo keeps scoring. Petey keeps scoring. Our defence begins to look semi-average. Martin starts standing on his head. Quinn finally scores...

Predicting a 10-2-1 December to bring us back to playoff contention with a record of 20-14-4.

The boys rally around Demko injury...

Edited by Maginator
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

56 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea that’s not great but at least we were able to acquire Bear because of it. 

And at least we have something to show for it. How many of Bennings trades just lead nowhere? No cap space and not even a decent player to show for it?

It's pretty sad our new level of acceptance/justification is it doesn't completely stink. Although I think this one still does. Could have just signed less wingers to acquire Bear. When Benning did it at least it was earlier in the mess he created and made sense on some level. This was just plainly throwing away high picks.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Speculation is nothing more than stirring the pot.

Fans need to realize these guys are in the entertainment business. Vancouvers market being in turmoil is good for their business.

They won’t hesitate to poor gas on this thing any chance they get.

Negativity brings more clicks, likes, and listens. I absolutely agree it's good for the sports broadcasting business, especially with a market as big and as passionate as ours.

It still doesn't change the fact that Elliott is very specific with the way he words speculation vs. rumor vs. fact.

IMO he's the best in the business. The whole situation with Brock was blown out of proportion by fans. Ellicott can't be to blame.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

It's pretty sad our new level of acceptance/justification is it doesn't completely stink. Although I think this one still does. Could have just signed less wingers to acquire Bear. When Benning did it at least it was earlier in the mess he created and made sense on some level. This was just plainly throwing away high picks.

At least they’re trying to make upgrades to the  D.

Benning had how many years to improve the D core?

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Negativity brings more clicks, likes, and listens. I absolutely agree it's good for the sports broadcasting business, especially with a market as big and as passionate as ours.

It still doesn't change the fact that Elliott is very specific with the way he words speculation vs. rumor vs. fact.

IMO he's the best in the business. The whole situation with Brock was blown out of proportion by fans. Ellicott can't be to blame.

I’m not gonna blame him but he is part of the problem when it comes to creating frenzies in this market.

Don’t think he doesn’t know what he’s doing or relish in the chaos here.

6 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Majority of the fans making a big deal out of it aren’t even quoting what was said properly. But somehow Elliotte is the problem. Hypocrisy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If we trade our first I'll do what I did with Keenan and just find something else to do until management is replaced.

Yup. I'm with you that will be the last straw. Unless we use it to get a Dobson, or Nemeth into the system. I would be okay with that but no mediocre bs.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At least they’re trying to make upgrades to the  D.

Benning had how many years to improve the D core?

I guess it's a small victory. I kept thinking well it's alright we let Tanev go, now we're finally going to get some quality RD in that can defend and score. Hmmmm, nope not sure what on earth he was thinking. That's where I lost hope.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Yup. I'm with you that will be the last straw. Unless we use it to get a Dobson, or Nemeth into the system. I would be okay with that but no mediocre bs.

I guess it's a small victory. I kept thinking well it's alright we let Tanev go, now we're finally going to get some quality RD in that can defend and score. Hmmmm, nope not sure what on earth he was thinking. That's where I lost hope.

Really wish they could have got a Marino deal done.

Add Marino and Bear and we’d be well on our way to a respectable D core.

So far though Bear looks to be better than any of the D Benning acquired (Pouliot, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Larsen, Schmidt etc)

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I mean with the decisions this organization is making, tanking will take care of itself.

Playing our best D man over 30 minutes because you’re desperate for a win over the Coyotes in December…:picard:

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Predicting a 10-2-1 December to bring us back to playoff contention with a record of 20-14-4.

A hot streak helps. However, the reality is that if we predict that 93pts or so is needed to ensure a playoff birth this year, then Nux will need to get 70 pts more out of a max of 114 avail (57 games) for a Pts% (points percentage) of 61.4%.  That is a big ask (especially for Spencer Martin for a few weeks) and will require a big commitment from all players to really cut down on goals against and playing with more structure. Barring a couple of good trades to solidify the D corps and improve PK, I don't see this happening -- much as I'd like to see it. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Canucks-12 said:

All we ask for is consistency. Either consistently win or consistently lose.

Either one this year would be best for the organization. No point of winning one then losing one.

Management really needs to make a decision on the direction of this team soon. 

3 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Fried pulling crap out his rear end to stir up Canuck land again.  I trust him less after the whole "Boeser has asked for a trade" fiasco.  

Yup

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

He said Horvat, Demko and Schenn could be next on his podcast according to Twitter.

54 minutes ago, Maginator said:

47 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Majority of the fans making a big deal out of it aren’t even quoting what was said properly. But somehow Elliotte is the problem. Hypocrisy. 

These rumours have been around for more than a week before Elliotte mentioned them, LA has been in on Demko for quite awhile, Horvat and the team not talking contract is from the summer on, Schenn has always been the subject of desirable for a TDL deal, Boeser has been on the hot plate for a couple of weeks.

All this stuff is out there before Elliotte AND Dahli confirm they have substance.

Just because it doesn't play into the fan concept that if things stay the same they will be better or prizes are presents, just given away because it suits that fan's concept of continuity. Change happens or stagnation. There has been no change of significance for 4 years, pressure has been building.

If any of this is a surprise to some fans it is only because they aren't looking or depending upon very few sources. Ya, now someone says the name the sources crap, if you can't be bothered to look up yourself then maybe take the time to peruse the forum for when the thoughts of problems may have started or when the first mentions of trading started. If you can't be bothered to find information, current information and not the canned stuff spewed at every game or player interview why ask to satisfy your laziness. Did anyone ever find the Luongo trade demand from him and yet is was well known that happened but the player never said a word so why would any of the players say that now? There have been comments made like, "tired of all this losing" and Miller's "I want out" and Pettersson's "to see where the team is then, I want to play in the playoffs" now Pettersson knows enough that he can't do it all by himself so he must be referring to the entire team right?

So many fans want to believe these "professional mercenaries" want to stay here, why? Winning? What if the players don't want to be here how could they say that without words? How about inconsistency? Or padding their own stats? Stats players.

Negativity, win and there isnone, lose more and more and there is more and more. Simple

Enough of that vein of education;

The Canucks were plain lucky they won the last game, 8 power plays four really dumb penalties taken by the Yotes, 2 PP goals to win 3-2. As far as consistency they have been playing pretty much the same all along just getting a break from bad option goaltending, 2 goals on 3 shots type of thing and a goalie stealing a game. I know, Bruce's 32-15 -? record last year keeps being brought but the rest of the teams in the league took them lightly and there was the surge from a new coach being there, it didn't really mean that they were that good. If you believe that then why so bad for so long before? On purpose?

Sorry got away from the thread.

Montreal is in year one of a rebuild, they have a first line all younger than EP and their 2nd line younger than the Nucks.

They will not be taking delay of game penalties and too many men on the ice.

They are a bad match up for the Canucks, mind you many teams are but I think they win easily

Edited by ToTellTheTruth
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1