The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

I've actually been pondering lately how ready they think Foote may be too perhaps take over for Cernak for them. Being the Lightning, they perpetually need to continue to clear cap and Cernak is signed up to earn an extra $2m+ next year... If they can get Foote to do ~85% of the job, for a fraction of the pay...

I wonder if Cernak could shake loose...? Perhaps that's part of the Lightning/mystery team rumours we were hearing around Horvat...

Horvat 50% retained + Schenn for Cernak+....?

He'd be a damn good partner for Hughes

seeing Foote is a healthy scratch every other game, him Bogosian, and Fleury all compete for the final sixth spot.... That says alot. Rookie Perbix has moved ahead of Foote in the depth chart I highly doubt Foote is the guy that the lightning would promote to top 4 minutes next year.

as for the trade, i dont see it happening. 1. They are not looking to add another center... Point and stamkos are better and Cirelli/paul is their shutdown centers... Horvat would have to center the 4th line or play wing. 2. If they were really serious about going all in with a big splash I would assume they would be looking to drop bloated contracts like Myers and Namestikov first before trading A Young Proven Top 4 RD with a very good contract this year and a decent contract moving forward. 3 they are much more likely to add to their D-Line not subtract from it for a deep playoff run.

Im pretty sure this year is not their last hurrah and  if they replace Ross, Cole, and Namestikov with cheap contracts they dont have to blow up the team next year... heck they might get an injury for seasoning opener next year and still manage to keep Ross on the roster...

Bo isnt getting traded to the Lightning not happening.

Edited by Bad_BOI_pete

5 hours ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

seeing Foote is a healthy scratch every other game, him Bogosian, and Fleury all compete for the final sixth spot.... That says alot. Rookie Perbix has moved ahead of Foote in the depth chart I highly doubt Foote is the guy that the lightning would promote to top 4 minutes next year.

as for the trade, i dont see it happening. 1. They are not looking to add another center... Point and stamkos are better and Cirelli/paul is their shutdown centers... Horvat would have to center the 4th line or play wing. 2. If they were really serious about going all in with a big splash I would assume they would be looking to drop bloated contracts like Myers and Namestikov first before trading A Young Proven Top 4 RD with a very good contract this year and a decent contract moving forward. 3 they are much more likely to add to their D-Line not subtract from it for a deep playoff run.

Im pretty sure this year is not their last hurrah and  if they replace Ross, Cole, and Namestikov with cheap contracts they dont have to blow up the team next year... heck they might get an injury for seasoning opener next year and still manage to keep Ross on the roster...

Bo isnt getting traded to the Lightning not happening.

I could see Foote for Schenn. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

That player would, if he ever even hit, wouldn't be an NHL player until near the end of the decade.  What good is that?

If a team is wanting to have an extended winning window with a current core, then having a steady stream of ELC players (who are 22-25) is super important.  Plus, one of those seconds could turn into a new core piece, allowing the club to trade an existing core piece for futures and extending the winning window even more.  Or those seconds can be used to trade for a missing support player, like the Avs did (two seconds) to get Devon Toews.  

Picks are very important. We shouldn’t be trading them away to bring in 25-27 year old journeymen. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I could see Foote for Schenn. 

Is Foote the kind of guy Hughes or OEL carry in five on five minutes?  Not too sure Foote skates well enough. I think we need guys to partner with those two who are a lot quicker to pucks. Bear actually is doing nicely as a compliment to those two. He’s quick. Bigger and quick would be better, of course.  But big and slow just means Hughes and OEL have to be the first guy back to pucks.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Struggling to get in the lineup and has been surpassed by a younger dman.

Doesn't mean he doesn't have what it takes.  Perhaps all he needs is more playing time to hone is craft in the big leagues.  I sure wouldn't write off a defenceman like that when he was 23yo just last month.

Just now, HKSR said:

Doesn't mean he doesn't have what it takes.  Perhaps all he needs is more playing time to hone is craft in the big leagues.  I sure wouldn't write off a defenceman like that when he was 23yo just last month.

I'm not writing him off, just saying I think they could find a better deal for LS.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Such as?

I'd make a play to TO for one of

2023 first

Joseph Woll

Timothy Liljegren

Rasmus Sandin

Or to NJ for Kevin Bahl

Or to Washington for Vince Iorio

Or to Dallas for Thomas Harley

Or to the Kings for Francesco Pinelli.

Or to the Jets for Salomonsson

To name a few I'd take over Foote

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd make a play to TO for one of

2023 first

Joseph Woll

Timothy Liljegren

Rasmus Sandin

Or to NJ for Kevin Bahl

Or to Washington for Vince Iorio

Or to Dallas for Thomas Harley

Or to the Kings for Francesco Pinelli.

Or to the Jets for Salomonsson

They are all about the same.  Not sure how Foote is any worse when he has the size, mobility, snarl, and IQ all in one package.  I just see Foote as a younger, more mobile version of Schenn.

Isn't Pinelli a 5'9" centre?

Edited by HKSR

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

They are all about the same.  Not sure how Foote is any worse when he has the size, mobility, snarl, and IQ all in one package.  I just see Foote as a younger, more mobile version of Schenn.

Yet he still can't get in the lineup regularly and lost his spot to a younger player.  Hrs teetering on "career 7th damn".  I think they can do better and all those guys are or will be better.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yet he still can't get in the lineup regularly and lost his spot to a younger player.  Hrs teetering on "career 7th damn".  I think they can do better and all those guys are or will be better.

How do you conclude things like that?  A lot of those guys you mentioned haven't even touched an NHL career yet lmao

Bahl, Sandin, and Harley are LHD. Why do we want them? To play on the 3rd pair and battle it out with Dermott?

Iorio is interesting, but not sure how he's any better than Foote.

Salomonsson has issues with defensive awareness and hockey IQ.  

Liljegren does not COMPLIMENT our LHD very well.  We need a defence first RHD badly.

Pinelli is a tiny centre

Woll? The goalie? Why?

I'll take a 1st round pick for Schenn if we could get one.  That'd be worth it.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

How do you conclude things like that?  A lot of those guys you mentioned haven't even touched an NHL career yet lmao

Bahl, Sandin, and Harley are LHD. Why do we want them? To play on the 3rd pair and battle it out with Dermott?

Iorio is interesting, but not sure how he's any better than Foote.

Salomonsson has issues with defensive awareness and hockey IQ.  

Liljegren does not COMPLIMENT our LHD very well.  We need a defence first RHD badly.

Pinelli is a tiny centre

Woll? The goalie? Why?

I'll take a 1st round pick for Schenn if we could get one.  That'd be worth it.

Pinelli is 6' and 185 at 19, how is that "tiny"?  They need C as much, or more than D.

Woll is ready to make the jump at 23 and is looking very good.  The Canucks aren't exactly over flowing with depth at G and it's showing.

TL has become a solid two way dman, and Sandin is improving there as well.

You can't narrow yourself to "rhd", you take the best deal you can get.  Why would you limit yourself and take a lesser deal?  They want players who will be ready to contribute in 2ish years, on cheap contracts.......all these players cover that.  Foote will be 26 at that point.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1