The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if we bought out OEL? (Updated June 16 2023)

Rate this topic

HKSR

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not mixed signals at all it was pretty clear.

This team is better without OEL even with the buyout penalty. Teams that win in the playoffs aren’t doing it with players like him. Too soft and doesn’t excel at any one aspect of the game.

Id rather take that cap hit and try and find a bottom pair guy making 2-3 mil that plays physical, kills penalties, is good defensively. 

Keeping a player that doesn’t fit what you’re trying to build just to avoid a couple years of cap penalties is a bad idea. Like you said yourself they are both bad choices but this is the best they could do with a bad situation.

I dont think we can afford 2-3 mil for a bottom pair... we just need a couple Dmen who dont duck when the puck is shot at them, like OEL did. And Myers is to big to block, he has to use his size to attack the puck/player. When he blocks he is covering both corners and the goalies view, but the whole net is open underneath that giant

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And ownership should have fired the lot the minute they even suggested this.  Anyone stupid enough to create that much long-term dead cap is unfit for any job in hockey ops.  There is simply no excuse for what Rutherford and the rest of the dirtbags in management are doing to the franchise.

No the one who stuck them with that ridiculous contract should be fired…and he was.

Ownership signed off on it because they saw how much their pushing to be contenders caused this whole mess. They did it to themselves so there’s no way they’re firing management for cleaning up something they helped create. :lol:

I also don’t understand how people think those two bad years are going to destroy us somehow…Like you realize we would have had OELs full cap hit of 7.25 those years if we didn’t buy him out right?

The other 6 years are fairly insignificant cap penalties. You’re talking about maybe the difference of an extra bottom pairing D man or bottom 6 player. If you can’t scout well enough to find those players for cheap you don’t stand a chance anyways.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

Just now, EastCoastNucks said:

I dont think we can afford 2-3 mil for a bottom pair... we just need a couple Dmen who dont duck when the puck is shot at them, like OEL did. And Myers is to big to block, he has to use his size to attack the puck/player. When he blocks he is covering both corners and the goalies view, but the whole net is open underneath that giant

We already signed one with the cap savings in Soucy.

Im talking about the two years we get hit with a 4.7 mil cap penalty. We can find a cheap D man in those years that brings more than OEL did.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Im talking about the two years we get hit with a 4.7 mil cap penalty. We can find a cheap D man in those years that brings more than OEL did.

I agree Soucy is a bottom pair, but we are paying like a top 4 so he better step up and pair with Hronec or Hughes. Both those guys need a defensive defenseman so they can go mess up the o-zone

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully Willander is ready during that time of the higher dead cap hit.  If he is then he would be at 925k for 3 years.  Also need to get Lekkerimaki, Raty and Klimovich into the lineup at minimum wage.  It's crucial we integrate our young players into the lineup within the next 2-3 years, especially when Petey is gonna be making $11 million+ plus Miller, Hughes and Hronek deals and probably Kuzmenko as well...

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I agree Soucy is a bottom pair, but we are paying like a top 4 so he better step up and pair with Hronec or Hughes. Both those guys need a defensive defenseman so they can go mess up the o-zone

3.25 is hardly top 4 money.

It would be great if he could step up and play that role but we don’t need him to. We signed Cole for that role.

The way I see it is they’re still looking at someone to pair with Hughes.

Hughes Trade

Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hopefully Willander is ready during that time of the higher dead cap hit.  If he is then he would be at 925k for 3 years.  Also need to get Lekkerimaki, Raty and Klimovich into the lineup at minimum wage.  It's crucial we integrate our young players into the lineup within the next 2-3 years, especially when Petey is gonna be making $11 million+ plus Miller, Hughes and Hronek deals and probably Kuzmenko as well...

It's going to be awesome to see good organic depth fill out our lineup in 2-3 years rather than rushing prospects into the team. 

Everyone east of the Rockies will be like ... how did the Canucks get so good?

• Cheers 1

The problem is Willander is going to be another offensive defenseman, we need some down and dirty big blockers, big hitters in the Dzone, not the high points guys. We need some guys who have a bigger plus/minus than their point production.

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The funnier part was we would need to spend the same amount to replace him.  Soucy and Cole together are barely $6 million with money to spare...

Yep.

When you break it down it’s easy to see why they made the decision to buy him out. We can build a much better team without his giant cap hit even in those two bad years.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It would be great if he could step up and play that role but we don’t need him to. We signed Cole for that role.

Hughes Trade

Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

We are already over 30% cap space spent on defense, not including the OEL hit to come. Check out what other successful teams spend....

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No the one who stuck them with that ridiculous contract should be fired…and he was.

Ownership signed off on it because they saw how much their pushing to be contenders caused this whole mess. They did it to themselves so there’s no way they’re firing management for cleaning up something they helped create. :lol:

I also don’t understand how people think those two bad years are going to destroy us somehow…Like you realize we would have had OELs full cap hit of 7.25 those years if we didn’t buy him out right?

The other 6 years are fairly insignificant cap penalties. You’re talking about maybe the difference of an extra bottom pairing D man or bottom 6 player. If you can’t scout well enough to find those players for cheap you don’t stand a chance anyways.

We already saw the problem Gillis caused because he was too stupid to use the compliance buyout on Luongo.  Bottom line is GMs with functioning brains do not cripple a franchise with dead cap for a decade.  There is no possible situation where what Rutherford did to the team is acceptable.

1 minute ago, EastCoastNucks said:

The problem is Willander is going to be another offensive defenseman, we need some down and dirty big blockers, big hitters in the Dzone, not the high points guys. We need some guys who have a bigger plus/minus than their point production.

Funny because his strength is actually his play in the defensive zone. At development camp he said he would like to get better offensively.

You always needs high points guys. We can get big hitters and shot blockers without a high first round pick. Those players are much easier to come by then what Willander brings.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes Trade

Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

I think this D is the route to go if we really want to be a playoff team.  I don't really want to see Cole on his off side and Soucy playing 20 minutes a night.  We just need to get that partner for Hughes to have a solid playoff defence.  

How about Garland for Tanev or Garland for Dylan Demelo?  I'm hoping they can make a trade and ship a winger out for a RHD to play with Hughes...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

We already saw the problem Gillis caused because he was too stupid to use the compliance buyout on Luongo.  Bottom line is GMs with functioning brains do not cripple a franchise with dead cap for a decade.  There is no possible situation where what Rutherford did to the team is acceptable.

No situation where a GM gives up a top 10 pick and a 2nd round pick for two players that couldn’t even be given away…

You’re griping about the wrong GM. ;)

I think this D is the route to go if we really want to be a playoff team.  I don't really want to see Cole on his off side and Soucy playing 20 minutes a night.  We just need to get that partner for Hughes to have a solid playoff defence.  

How about Garland for Tanev or Garland for Dylan Demelo?  I'm hoping they can make a trade and ship a winger out for a RHD to play with Hughes...

That’s the type of move I’m waiting for.

I’d even be good with Dumba on a 1 year deal to play with Hughes. He’ll be motivated to earn a big contract and he’s played top 4 his whole career. Better than experimenting with someone like Juulsen there the whole season.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Willander is a great skater and is actually strong defensively.  He is not the biggest guy around but his great skating and positional play make him good in the defensive zone.  Plus he likes to take the body.  I am hoping he grows a bit and gets bigger.  If he is fully grown at 6'2" and 200 pounds then he will be a beast.  Podkolzin grew after he got drafted.  D Petey looks huge now.  He must be at least 6'3" or bigger...

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the type of move I’m waiting for.

I’d even be good with Dumba on a 1 year deal to play with Hughes. He’ll be motivated to earn a big contract and he’s played top 4 his whole career. Better than experimenting with someone like Juulsen there the whole season.

I wouldn't be opposed to that to be honest.  Juulsen can be the 7/8 guy on the team and fill in.  A one year show me deal for Dumba around $2 million, I'd be all over that.  

Some may want to wait for Bear, but we can't really be waiting for a guy to recover from injury who may not be available until December...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes Chris Tanev is the hard hitting guy we need to come back home. I remember him losing teeth and not ever slowing down

• Cheers 1