The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if we bought out OEL? (Updated June 16 2023)

Rate this topic

HKSR

OEL has it made.  20 mill in cold cash, on top of whatever he has earned so far, and still able to re-sign on a new team and make more. His agent on Dali and Donny was saying at least 10 teams have called him about his client. They haven't called anyone themselves.

I still think it was a short sighted decision not to at least have him play more sheltered minutes for one more season before a buyout. We'd have even more cap (per season) left to play with, and two less years to pay him to steal 2.1 m. cap money away.  The next couple of seasons after this next one are way more crucial to have cap than this one.  But the Aquilini quick fix strategy goes on.  It might work, if the plan is to squeek us into the playoffs in the next few years, a temporary bump, but I just don't see the sustainability plan.

• Cheers 2

On 6/21/2023 at 9:53 AM, RomanP said:

Simply looking at the numbers in the screenshot tell me this calculator is bs. Income tax is progressive tax. You don’t pay the top tax rate on your entire income. Here goes the credibility…

Tax is progressive in most jurisdictions... but it also ramps up to the highest bracket in the $100-250k range most places, far below the league minimum... so a slightly lower tax rate on the first hundred thousand is not material when you are talking about millions in salary.  The marginal tax rate on a $1 million salary is going to be almost equal to the highest tax bracket rate.

This calculator actually uses the marginal tax rate anyways which is accurate.  If you change the salary you see the marginal tax rate change... that isn't based on moving to a different tax bracket, it reflects that the first few hundred thousand are at a lower tax bracket.  Of course it won't calculate how individual deductions will affect a player personally. 

Edited by Provost

On 6/21/2023 at 3:56 PM, kilgore said:

OEL has it made.  20 mill in cold cash, on top of whatever he has earned so far, and still able to re-sign on a new team and make more. His agent on Dali and Donny was saying at least 10 teams have called him about his client. They haven't called anyone themselves.

I still think it was a short sighted decision not to at least have him play more sheltered minutes for one more season before a buyout. We'd have even more cap (per season) left to play with, and two less years to pay him to steal 2.1 m. cap money away.  The next couple of seasons after this next one are way more crucial to have cap than this one.  But the Aquilini quick fix strategy goes on.  It might work, if the plan is to squeek us into the playoffs in the next few years, a temporary bump, but I just don't see the sustainability plan.

I agree with this in a lot of ways. An extra year of a healthy OEL in sheltered minutes would've been bearable. Save us two years of buyout payments, as you said. We aren't in as dire need of cap space this year compared to next (no major players needing new contracts).

We'll have to see how all this shakes out though. I hope this buyout is the first step of a few to improve the team, and maybe the buyout needed to happen to facilitate the other moves/steps for this year. The media pundits kept saying how our cap situation made us extremely weak in trade negotiations.

However, if little is done this year to improve the team, I don't see why the buyout needed to happen this summer. Sure, it gives our younger D a chance to show what they've got, but I still think that alone wouldn't be worth it. 

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

How many past cup winners won with inefficient dead cap on the books? That 2-4.7 million in future cap is quite the cap on our ceiling. Means the management group will have to operate close to 100% efficiency on every contract to make it far.

• Upvote 1

Here's the catch, none of us have to meet with FA face to face and his own demands

• Vintage 1

On 12/8/2022 at 11:24 AM, HKSR said:

* Horvat re-signed at $8M AAV

** Kuzmenko re-signed at $7M AAV

Good prediction.

*Glad you were wrong on that one 

**Thanks Milstein 

But I think you were inflating these salaries to try and sell your buyout idea. 

:bigblush:

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

I still don't understand why we bought him out.  Especially with the penalties gong forward.  I mean we ate Louie Erikson's inflated contract.  OEL is more noticeable on a bad night than Erikson was on a good night.
This franchise is turning into el toro poop.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 3:30 PM, danjr said:

I still don't understand why we bought him out.  Especially with the penalties gong forward.  I mean we ate Louie Erikson's inflated contract.  OEL is more noticeable on a bad night than Erikson was on a good night.

That damn Mike Gillis.:ph34r:

• There it is 1

On 7/4/2023 at 3:30 PM, danjr said:

If we don’t capitalize on Petey, Hughes, and Demko’s prime years we might as well blow it up. 

OELs contract was an anchor that didn’t allow them to build the team they wanted.

Theres no reason why with proper planning they can’t plan around those bad cap years. There’s lots of really good teams that are contenders and don’t spend right up to the cap.

The challenge now is to find value contracts and transition cheap ELC players into the lineup over the next couple years.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we don’t capitalize on Petey, Hughes, and Demko’s prime years we might as well blow it up. 

OELs contract was an anchor that didn’t allow them to build the team they wanted.

Theres no reason why with proper planning they can’t plan around those bad cap years. There’s lots of really good teams that are contenders and don’t spend right up to the cap.

The challenge now is to find value contracts and transition cheap ELC players into the lineup over the next couple years.

True, the recent signing are mostly fillers for prospects they believe will come through. I recall JR let slip in an intrview " we have some good pieces comng through" So they must believe and have a plan already constructed of when and who will be stepping up. At the end of this coming season they have 13 either RFA or UFA So they're making do this coming season but the major change comes in the season 24/25. If prospect don't show enough improvement they can always resign Cole and Blueger. But mostly it's just a waiting game .... and I suspect either during the season or at the TDL there will be trades

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Also sacrificed his job for not making the Brad Richards trade.  Proof that sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.

It might have been worse long term, but we might have won the cup with Richards on the team. He had a 91 and 77 point season around the Canucks cup finals run, and players with 105 points in 146 playoff games generally don’t hurt to have. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

It might have been worse long term, but we might have won the cup with Richards on the team. He had a 91 and 77 point season around the Canucks cup finals run, and players with 105 points in 146 playoff games generally don’t hurt to have. 

We were better off having the rumoured assets needed to get Richards (Kesler and Edler). Making that trade would have been up there with the Benning OEL/Garland trade as the worst ever.