The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if we bought out OEL? (Updated June 16 2023)

Rate this topic

HKSR

On 12/8/2022 at 10:28 AM, canuck73_3 said:

So drop a top 4 Dman, to look for a top 4 Dman which would result in no money saved? OEL is not as bad as all the whining here makes him out to be. Like not even close. Again OEL is NOT the problem.

Nice to see people getting that, I would have given him another shot and if he aced it at the beginning of the season, keep him or ask him to waive if anyone inquires about him, the way things are going, a top four D is going cost LARGE, sooner than later, long before his contract expires and it will even out his value in the long run even after he declines due to age.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, McBackup said:

Thanks

It's true, and this is the first time in our franchise history we could start building a team for once instead of trying to buy one... Will we do that? Idk but I sure the F hope so! 

This is sooooo getting old don't you think? 

16 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

It's true, and this is the first time in our franchise history we could start building a team for once instead of trying to buy one... Will we do that? Idk but I sure the F hope so! 

This is sooooo getting old don't you think? 

I was largely being facetious. I don’t actually think we’ll win the cup next year. I was commenting on how shortsighted and desperate a move it is.

42 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Well this solidifies that we lost the Garland/OEL trade. 

The LARGE cap dumps that Arizona took at LONG OFF their books.  Meanwhile they got a 1st round pick for their troubles.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The LARGE cap dumps that Arizona took at LONG OFF their books.  Meanwhile they got a 1st round pick for their troubles.  

Remembering the going rate during flat cap era. 1 year/ 6 mil of cap = 1st rounder.

Benning paid a top ten 1st to give Arizona 6 years worth of 1st rounder value in cap space.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yup. Benning was a moron. But our owner approved the deal. Good for him to write the cheque to help fix his mistake. 

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I was largely being facetious. I don’t actually think we’ll win the cup next year. I was commenting on how shortsighted and desperate a move it is.

Well I think management was counting on more interest in Boeser and this was a just in case thing, albeit a expensive just in case thing nonetheless. Anyway, you guess why is as good as mine on it but I don't think they wanted to be behind the 8 ball until the last minute and have to sacrifice more like sweeteners, our 11th for instance, doesn't seem to me like they want to break up our current roster. 

I'm not sure if Bear will be signed again either... It wouldn't surprise me if they reeled in his 2.4? Mil cap on top of this. Hard to say

1 hour ago, McBackup said:

Well it’s either buyout OEL or lose our key core guys. We don’t make these kinds of efforts to build a winner and we lose the core. Then we should just do a deep diving rebuild and cross our fingers we can draft a new core that is as good as the current one. 
so which is it? Buyout OEL or rebuild?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well it’s either buyout OEL or lose our key core guys. We don’t make these kinds of efforts to build a winner and we lose the core. Then we should just do a deep diving rebuild and cross our fingers we can draft a new core that is as good as the current one. 
so which is it? Buyout OEL or rebuild?

Pick your poison.

• Vintage 1

Don’t like this at all

Could have not bought him out, or in 2 years. Or this summer. But I thought a good compromise would have been a buy out after next season.  Then we could have shaved something like 7 million off cap in total, and also, maybe more important, finished OELs buy out 2 years sooner.

We could have carried OEL playing limited minutes for one freakin year. I do not think that happening would make any difference in us making or not making the playoffs next season

When this team is in such a crunch, we are once again kicking the can down the road. For what we could have gained in the years that actually will matter, we save cap space initially,  when the only place we will be playing in the SCF will be in Francesco’s head

does management seriously think we can win the Cup next season?  We better because we are setting up to be in the worst possible cap situation at a crucial time in a few years when we have to pay other important pieces. 

i had more faith in JR to stand up to our short sighted owner, but he’s following the same game plan. It’s always only about the next season. And keep taking huge gambles with the future to scrape together a possible 8th place team that Aqua believes will be the 2024 Canadian miracle on ice.

dumb dumb dumb dumb

• Upvote 1

So barring trades, Soucy to play with Hronek and one of Graves/Mayfield to play with Hughes? And Sundqvist at 3C? :lol:

Hughes, Mayfield/Graves
Soucy, Hronek
Prospect (Hirose?) / cheap UFA, Myers 

...sure don't look bad

Time to add some:

cow_cuts_with_text_transparent_1100x.png

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

Don’t like this at all

Could have not bought him out, or in 2 years. Or this summer. But I thought a good compromise would have been a buy out after next season.  Then we could have shaved something like 7 million off cap in total, and also, maybe more important, finished OELs buy out 2 years sooner.

We could have carried OEL playing limited minutes for one freakin year. I do not think that happening would make any difference in us making or not making the playoffs next season

When this team is in such a crunch, we are once again kicking the can down the road. For what we could have gained in the years that actually will matter, we save cap space initially,  when the only place we will be playing in the SCF will be in Francesco’s head

does management seriously think we can win the Cup next season?  We better because we are setting up to be in the worst possible cap situation at a crucial time in a few years when we have to pay other important pieces. 

i had more faith in JR to stand up to our short sighted owner, but he’s following the same game plan. It’s always only about the next season. And keep taking huge gambles with the future to scrape together a possible 8th place team that Aqua believes will be the 2024 Canadian miracle on ice.

dumb dumb dumb dumb

But does Petterson resign in this kind of environment ?

lol this is such a short sighted moves.. buying out OEL means they are going all in next season.. now we are prolly going to mortgage the future for another replacement.. the 1st this year and prolly last years pick is probably in play at the draft.. and if it fails we dont make the playoff, there's no fall back plan or hope for this team and we probably get to go thru another 10+ years worth of rebuild. 

1 hour ago, brbetts542 said:

But does Petterson resign in this kind of environment ?

buying out OEL makes EP wanting to re-sign even more?? he's prolly looking at it in year 3 and 4 when he's in the meat of his prime the team just handicapped themselves so badly vs other teams.. not only do we have to compete with low tax states.. now we complete with low tax states and a self imposed almost 5mil cap penalty lol. 

• Upvote 2

Not sure we are speaking the same language. Petey wants to win. OEL got in the way of that and hockey ops removed a barrier. Yes there are long term cap ramifications but those are not felt by Petey in the slightest. I think players operate in the here an now more so than us arm chairers.