The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if we bought out OEL? (Updated June 16 2023)

Rate this topic

HKSR

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s one of those fans that would complain after a cup win because it wasn’t done the “right way”. :lol:

Imagine if The Canucks beat the Bruins or Rangers in a revenge matchup for the Stanley Cup and did so in 5 games. He’d probably complain the Canucks didn’t sweep them. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Lol Benning gave us 5 years of Eriksson on the roster, and gave us 5 years of Myers, which was even worse. :lol: That was 6 mil of dead cap for 5 fricken years!!

You act like we don’t have any possibility of building a good team with the dead cap we’ll have. The reality, when you take off your chicken little costume, is that the cap penalty is pretty minor in all but two years. And even then you can plan around it. So many more important factors will play into this team being successful than a few extra mil in what is typically play money anyways.

I mean how many times has this team spent up to the cap and past it for a bottom 10 team? It’s not like more cap space automatically equals more success. From what I’ve seen it just equals overspending. What this does is forces management to be wise with their dollars. Something Benning wasn’t able to do his entire time here.

Myers wasn’t worse than Eriksson, not even close :lol:

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Benning wasn't the one stupid enough to compound the problem with a buyout.  Bottom line is that Rutherford did far more damage with this move than Benning did over his entire tenure, and it's impossible to undo it.  The destruction this idiot has done to the franchise is unforgivable and fans have a duty to run him out of town by any means necessary.

Most fans are happy that we'll ice a more competitive team for the upcoming season so kudos to management for helping the squad along in a very tight cap situation league wide.  How else could you improve the team for the coming season?  I do think the Canucks will be surprisingly better this season. 

When the larger amounts of the OEL buyout kicks in the Canucks will insert players on ELC contracts.  Canucks top prospects, especially on D, should be ready to contribute and excel.  I'm excited to see the prospects mature as oppossed to signing another overpriced free agent or seeing OEL keep a player like D-Petey from getting into the lineup.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Most fans are happy that we'll ice a more competitive team for the upcoming season so kudos to management for helping the squad along in a very tight cap situation league wide.  How else could you improve the team for the coming season?  I do think the Canucks will be surprisingly better this season. 

When the larger amounts of the OEL buyout kicks in the Canucks will insert players on ELC contracts.  Canucks top prospects, especially on D, should be ready to contribute and excel.  I'm excited to see the prospects mature as oppossed to signing another overpriced free agent or seeing OEL keep a player like D-Petey from getting into the lineup.  

Exactly! We dumperoo a Benning stain (OEL) and it’s cheaper, 4.8 + .8 for 5.6, by a couple mil even in the two big buyout years to play D-Petey in OEL’s spot. And any player we use now and into the future is better than OEL. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thread aged hilariously.    

So OEL ... replaced by Ian Cole.  

For those that thought Schenn was holding us back, he went on and got a 3 year deal in NSH worth closer to his real value.    Guess we will find out won't we? 

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

For those that thought Schenn was holding us back, he went on and got a 3 year deal in NSH worth closer to his real value.    Guess we will find out won't we? 

We'll see how he does without Hughes and the offensive firepower we have in comparison. He seems to be getting better with age but I'm glad we didn't sign that one.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

We'll see how he does without Hughes and the offensive firepower we have in comparison. He seems to be getting better with age but I'm glad we didn't sign that one.

Don't think NSH will regret it, but it was a bit rich for us.   Soucy upside seems like a great use of similar funds. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don't know many bottom pair dmen that can boast playing beside Hughes and Rielly in his last 2 seasons. His numbers got inflated, and he got a very decent contract out of it. Let's not pretend he's worth 3 years at near 3 million, or that his numbers are going to stay the same, unless he plays with Josi

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don't think NSH will regret it, but it was a bit rich for us.   Soucy upside seems like a great use of similar funds. 

Yeah Nashville is in a position where even if he bombs it won't hurt them too much. For us we are expecting to make the playoffs, cap strapped, and that third year is also when we owe 5 mil on OEL's cap hit. He may play well for a year or two and then fall off a cliff. It's hard to tell but his skating is extremely suspect. Not a gamble I would take.

100% on board with Soucy. 2 months ago I would have been ecstatic to know we could ink him to the deal we did. That definitely addresses our lack of size and aggressiveness on D.

On 7/17/2023 at 11:14 AM, canuck73_3 said:

Myers wasn’t worse than Eriksson, not even close :lol:

OEL had a significantly better run as a Canuck than Eriksson who stunk from his first shift.  OEL was actually pretty solid for us a season before the wheels fell off.  Heck, I'd argue even the last guy who wore #11 had more good shifts than Eriksson.  Maybe even Keith Ballard.:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

For that price, yeah. If he was cheaper, I would have loved to bring him back though because he’s a better option than the AHLers.

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:09 PM, DeNiro said:

I worded that poorly.

I meant those two contracts were worse than the dead cap we’ll have going forward.

You act as if Eriksson held us back from being a contender in the twilight of the 2011 cores careers. Lol. The Eriksson signing cost us 0 assets and had zero impact on holding us back from winning a cup. Lol our new core was Horvat, Virtanen and Boeser at that point as the twins retired. Lol.

Hell even Myers signed to play on a 23rd overall team. We actually went up in the standings the following season. Had COVID not ruined the cap by preventing a 4-8mil increase, we would have kept Tanev, Markstrom and Toffili and been a much better team the following seasons.

Myers has led our team in defensive point shares in all but 2 seasons.

15 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You act as if Eriksson held us back from being a contender in the twilight of the 2011 cores careers. Lol. The Eriksson signing cost us 0 assets and had zero impact on holding us back from winning a cup. Lol our new core was Horvat, Virtanen and Boeser at that point as the twins retired. Lol.

Hell even Myers signed to play on a 23rd overall team. We actually went up in the standings the following season. Had COVID not ruined the cap by preventing a 4-8mil increase, we would have kept Tanev, Markstrom and Toffili and been a much better team the following seasons.

Myers has led our team in defensive point shares in all but 2 seasons.

If Eriksson wasn't here, the 2020 offseason where a bunch of assets walked away for nothing doesn't happen.

When you have a guy playing bottom six minutes being payed like a Top line guy, it's going to cost you. It definitely has a direct impact in this team not being a playoff team, and the OEL deal is a legacy of that Eriksson signing. 

Cap space is an asset.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 3