The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Peeke's extension hasn't even kicked in.  Columbus weakness is their D-corps. 

LA already looked into Garland/Boeser and decided to pass to target Fiala instead.  Also there's no room in their top-9.  They are going to have to move out Fs in the off-season as their younger players become NHL ready and are no longer waiver free.  LA also has limited cap space.  They ended up signing Edler because they didn't have the cap to make another move to fix their LD.  Whoever wrote that article didn't seem to bother to even do some basic research. 

Thus the "Just dreaming" part I started off with. I think the point of the exercise though was simply to develop a list of 26 yr old and younger dmen to target. It's the GM's job to actually figure out a trade. Doesn't matter how unlikely it is though the team needs to look at every RD out there and try to acquire one, if not two or three. These moves are definitely in the realm of possible they aren't elite players like Dobson, Nemec, Power, Sanderson, and Jiricek.  

With Peeke they did mention it was the youth coming up in the system that might make these guys expendable. Like Jiricek. Also their disastrously bad start and need for help up front. In LA's case they did mention the same and also touched on the salary saying it would need to be part of a bigger deal.

I'm no huge Canucks Army fan but I'd say the article is not too bad. RD are all hard to get, you could make a case that none of them are available and then you'd just have a blank piece of paper in front of you. These are definitely the types of players we need that aren't elite yet could make an impact to re-make our Junior B defence.

Or do you have an alternative list for us that's better?

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This really gets me going. How can people be that blind?  I've been saying for years how poor he is and how many times he just puts the puck on someone's stick with zero pressure. I even argued with one guy about his lack of mobility but everyone who has played realize bigger guys struggle with that, especially super tall, gangly giraffes.

He's so slow when he gets the puck behind the net by the time he turns his huge body he can't see the play and just rolls it on the boards ... to whomever may be there. He's not quick enough or smart enough to realize he's going to be under pressure and he should just dump it when he first has the chance. His ability to read plays and ice is bottom of the barrel.  Also goes to lack of coaching as he should be a third pairing guy who just dumps the puck out and lays the body when possible ... but he thinks he's Bobby Orr.

The playing big minutes argument is so silly. Who cares where we would be without him. It can't get much worse. In fact that's the key to turning this team around. Replacing Myers and his $6mil with a non giraffe hockey player. It's not only the huge cap hit but the fact he's out there blocking anyone else from playing at the same time.

Yup - but good chance, another fan will use an opposing argument based on FLAWED analytics, to dispute the eye test and his overall effectiveness.  Anyways, this is still a forum where we can all come to discuss and vent about the Canucks or whatever.  Would hate for this forum, to become an echo chamber or a club house.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

10 minutes ago, mordekai said:

As I said before if demko played anywhere close to decent we wouldn’t be in this position

6EAF9E59-B256-415F-81E9-C2053100C06B.jpeg

Despite the obvious, the Canucks are still close to a WC spot.  Baffling but it makes sense, if most teams are avoiding the middle of the standings to draft in the top 10, in a loaded draft - stealth tank ?

10 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yup - but good chance, another fan will use an opposing argument based on analytics, to dispute the eye test and his overall effectiveness.  Anyways, this is still a forum where we can all come to discuss and vent about the Canucks or whatever.  Would hate for this forum, to be become an echo chamber or a club house.  

So true #18. I just couldn't help but take the opportunity to vent. :frantic::P

We all see it differently. Very few Myers supporters left now though. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, mordekai said:

As I said before if demko played anywhere close to decent we wouldn’t be in this position

That definitely is the biggest reason for sure. If Demko stopped only 1 more goal against per game, we win at least another 4 or 5 games and are top 3 in the pacific division. Demko stopped being Demko and hasn’t re-found himself yet. Maybe his injury will be a blessing in disguise giving him some needed time away to rest, relax and heal. If he gets back to 2021-2022 Demko form this team will go on a Bruce like run again, but that’s a big if at this point.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So true #18. I just couldn't help but take the opportunity to vent. :frantic::P

We all see it differently. Very few Myers supporters left now though. 

Yeah, but his supporters using FLAWED analytics, can be very insistent, persistent and .annoying.   Anyways, I still don't mind a good hockey discussion

Edited by ShawnAntoski

42 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Not sure that would be sufficient.  On D, other than Schenn and Dermott (who hasn't even been in the lineup), not a single one is worth his cap hit per their model.  Myers even has negative value.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Not sure that would be sufficient.  On D, other than Schenn and Dermott (who hasn't even been in the lineup), not a single one is worth his cap hit per their model.  Myers even has negative value.

Myers -0.1 negative value

Demko is -1.7mil

if demko played anywhere near his value last year it would 100% be sufficient enough. 

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think Bruce has autonomy at the bench. Things seem to be running from upstairs. Bruce maybe checking out mentally. They may have already told him he's as good as gone. Which is killing any momentum he has with his bench. Because he can't get on a roll because every loss is magnified. #meantexts

Maybe initially when the new guys got acquired. Don't think he gives an F anymore. He also seems confused why the players are so unmotivated for a big game. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Myers -0.1 negative value

Demko is -1.7mil

if demko played anywhere near his value last year it would 100% be sufficient enough. 

Demko played well above his contract last season - ie he was much better than just decent.  This season the D-corps took a step further back - so he would need to play even higher than how he was playing last season.  

4 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Todays news kinda explains Miller being moved back to Center and having Horvat between Hoglander and Garland

Boudreau trying to see if they can get 2 lines of production without Horvat 

They were running 3 lines to start the year.  Boudreau changed it up because he wanted Miller to go back to the wing.  I think he is just going back to what he originally had they gave him success last year.  With the proper wingers I think Miller can be a centre, the problem is we don't have the proper wingers for him.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They were running 3 lines to start the year.  Boudreau changed it up because he wanted Miller to go back to the wing.  I think he is just going back to what he originally had they gave him success last year.  With the proper wingers I think Miller can be a centre, the problem is we don't have the proper wingers for him.

Need Pearson to become the 2 way player he was the 2nd half of last season for that line to work.