The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has there been a season as weird as this one?

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

Like the title says, what a bizarre season:

falling flat on our faces early on and still the disappointment thus far

demko out of everyone playing lousy (now injured)

JR beefing with Boudreau (will he or will he not be fired?)

kuzmenko exceeding expectations and likely going to earn a big payday (pundits were saying he's not another panarin when we signed him but now on pace to equal panarin's numbers at the same age)

on the brink of having to let go of our captain who is on pace for 60ish goals this season.

I can't remember a season being as weird as this with all the expectations of making the playoffs going into the season and then all of these series of events being the result.

Kuzmenko and the reawakening of Petey is certainly pleasant as a fan, but the rest have been all over the place.

To think we didn't expect any of this not even 4 months ago. 

Maybe it just shows that I haven't been a fan for that long but......

has there been a season comparable in terms of the bizarreness like this before in this teams history?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Like the title says, what a bizarre season:

falling flat on our faces early on and still the disappointment thus far

demko out of everyone playing lousy (now injured)

JR beefing with Boudreau (will he or will he not be fired?)

kuzmenko exceeding expectations and likely going to earn a big payday (pundits were saying he's not another panarin when we signed him but now on pace to equal panarin's numbers at the same age)

on the brink of having to let go of our captain who is on pace for 60ish goals this season.

I can't remember a season being as weird as this with all the expectations of making the playoffs going into the season and then all of these series of events being the result.

Kuzmenko and the reawakening of Petey is certainly pleasant as a fan, but the rest have been all over the place.

To think we didn't expect any of this not even 4 months ago. 

Maybe it just shows that I haven't been a fan for that long but......

has there been a season comparable in terms of the bizarreness like this before in this teams history?

Yeah definitely the first Messier season was weirder than this. But I would say this season is getting close…

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

To OP: been the same ever retooling plan, since after the 2011 Cup run.

Nonis was fired in 2008 for over achieving in a rebuild year in 2007. Aquilini has been stubborn and arrogant ever since. So I'd argue it has been the same plan since the day they acquired the team. They stubbornly and arrogantly think a playoff team can be assembled in one off season. 

28 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Nonis was fired in 2008 for over achieving in a rebuild year in 2007. Aquilini has been stubborn and arrogant ever since. So I'd argue it has been the same plan since the day they acquired the team. They stubbornly and arrogantly think a playoff team can be assembled in one off season. 

Good point, but my focus has been the years, after the 2011 mugging vs the Bruins.

The screenshot, perfectly illustrates a team that is stuck in NHL Purgatory or a team constantly, striving to be middle of the pack:

Screenshot_20221218-110031_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

So many chages, players, coaches, mmanagers and the result s the same. Think!!! what else can it be ?   :lol:

Only the names had change but the ever retooling plan is still here cause Aquaman still remains.

WIN NOW = WINNING NOTHING

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1