The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] All Canucks FOR SALE except EP40 who is "Untouchable".

RU SERIOUS

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

But if you traded every player you would be at the bottom.

Its not like the 25 year old players are going to turn you into a playoff team.

We saw Benning try the same approach and we ended up with players like Vey, Baertschi, Goldobin, Gudbranson, and Pouliot.

Key though being that was Benning & co’s talent evaluation. 

Studnicka could fit into that previous group (I think he will figure it out tho) but Bear, Aman, Joshua, Kuzmenko have been solid pick ups. 

Same sort of approach but different talent evaluators.  Whether it works or not remains to be seen of course

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

For me rebuild is being focused on getting picks/very young prospects back and accepting that you're going to be at the bottom for quite awhile.  I assume that's what he has no.inyetest in and I'm glad.  I don't want that either

A rebuild is accepting the current key core isn’t good enough, even if properly supported, to win so a team trades those pieces away and does a deep dive to draft better ones.  

I'm Huggy Bear's biggest fanboy, but I'd do:

VAN

Q. Hughes
B. Boeser // C. Garland
T. Myers

NJD

D. Hamilton

S. Nemec
S. Mukhamadullin
1st 2023

We take back Hamilton and his hefty price-tag (pair with OEL?), but ship out Myers. Complete overhaul of our defensive cupboard, and possibly take another defender in the 1st round. Would love to squeeze Dawson Mercer outta them too, but that's asking quite a bit.

NJD moves their team into Win-Now Mode by completing the Hughes trifecta, inserting Myers as a veteran D, and taking their pick of Garland or Boeser for a top-6 winger.

Maybe they even prefer Pearson for some reason? Experienced veteran winger, a bit cheaper than Boeser or Garland.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

Studnicka could fit into that previous group (I think he will figure it out tho) but Bear, Aman, Joshua, Kuzmenko have been solid pick ups. 

Same sort of approach but different talent evaluators.  Whether it works or not remains to be seen of course

True, but those guys are supporting role players.  If our key core players aren’t good enough then what’s the point of spending futures and cap on the supporting guys?  According to our management we have Petey.  

Just now, nergish said:

VAN

Q. Hughes
B. Boeser // C. Garland
T. Myers

NJD

D. Hamilton

S. Nemec
S. Mukhamadullin
1st 2023

We take back Hamilton and his hefty price-tag (pair with OEL?), but ship out Myers. Complete overhaul of our defensive cupboard, and possibly take another defender in the 1st round. Would love to squeeze Dawson Mercer outta them too, but that's asking quite a bit.

NJD moves their team into Win-Now Mode by completing the Hughes trifecta, inserting Myers as a veteran D, and taking their pick of Garland or Boeser for a top-6 winger.

Maybe they even prefer Pearson for some reason? Experienced veteran winger, a bit cheaper than Boeser or Garland.

I think u could do Hughes for Nemec/Mukha alone as a bare minimum starting point. NJ would have to add one final piece tho I think (something that can help VAN now I would presume unless they want to target Orlov, Graves etc in the off season).  I think NJ would be very motivated to do this deal and could easily stomach it too

2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Yea those signings have definitely given me some faith.

But usually the 25 year old players other teams are ready to give up on are given up for a reason. You can play the old change of scenery card, but more often than not those players aren’t gonna all of a sudden turn into stars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

True, but those guys are supporting role players.  If our key core players aren’t good enough then what’s the point of spending futures and cap on the supporting guys?  According to our management we have Petey.  

I mean we could be like Minny and just have two stars like Kaprizov and Zucarello that get it done every night, surrounded by a supporting cast that plays a strong two way game and buys into a system.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yeah you need your game breakers-I hear you.  Miller was supposed to be one of those as well.  

In PIT they had Crosby/Malkin/Letang essentially and a bunch of really good supporting cast. 

I guess my bigger point was not to judge PA’s approach with previous mgmt’s failures.  but your right, the team goes nowhere without its game breakers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean we could be like Minny and just have two stars like Kaprizov and Zucarello that get it done every night, surrounded by a supporting cast that plays a strong two way game and buys into a system.

And be a middle of the pack team?

Yeah you need your game breakers-I hear you.  Miller was supposed to be one of those as well.  

In PIT they had Crosby/Malkin/Letang essentially and a bunch of really good supporting cast. 

I guess my bigger point was not to judge PA’s approach with previous mgmt’s failures.  but your right, the team goes nowhere without its game breakers. 

And our game breakers appear to be Petey and Demko.  

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea those signings have definitely given me some faith.

But usually the 25 year old players other teams are ready to give up on are given up for a reason. You can play the old change of scenery card, but more often than not those players aren’t gonna all of a sudden turn into stars.

no, hoping these players turn into your star players is way too naive.  I think they are just trying to support/build around who they think can lead this team.  but who those players are is a fair question too

no, hoping these players turn into your star players is way too naive.  I think they are just trying to support/build around who they think can lead this team.  but who those players are is a fair question too

Which is who? Petey?

45 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

people are rightfully upset-not a ton has changed up until this point.  With that in mind I have a few thoughts:

some players (like Myers, maybe Boeser) likely arnt moveable until the off season. it sucks to wait but that’s just reality.  

I honestly think Allvin is a pretty sharp guy.  After Hours was a good example where I know PA definitely has thoughts about this team and what he would like to do but he’s not gonna throw that out in public.  The mgmt are sharp hockey minds as well.  I think they are chomping at the bit to change this roster.  As time goes along hopefully we start to see that. 

two big wagers (Miller, Boeser bouncing back to up his tradeability) havnt really worked.  Miller in particular is interesting.  PA knows what winning environments look like.  Im guessing Miller was supposed to be a key component in that but his effort on the ice (at times) hasnt looked good.  But he is also an elite player when he is on his game-I cant see him not bouncing back.  Will be an interesting storyline to see what happens.  

With regards to PA’s vision, I dont see them going crazy on sacrificing long term by doing very short term moves unless it is to clear cap space.  I do think this mgmt group is sharp and they might be a team that can actually balance building both short and long term at the same time.  This is strengthened by the fact that the hardest types of players to get they already have (Ep, Demko, Hughes).  Theyve also focused (other than Miller) on bringing young players with upside in.  If they decide that compositionally they need to alter the big three it could pay off big (or poorly depending on the deal of course).  Hughes would get an absolute haul from NJ or FLA I would think (Hello Lundell +++ etc).

Boudreau is a really great human being but I see a lot of confusion on the ice at times.  Perhaps JR is right in that they need a more structured (or perhaps more coherent) style of play.  That doesnt change the fact the roster needs major surgery tho.

Just my 2 cents.  Right now they need the cap to go up and some time to pass on contracts (like Pearson, Myers, Boeser etc) to make moves.  Sucks to wait tho.

I think Allvin is a complete dolt. He's shown it on the Miller deal, the Boeser deal, the multitude of winger deals, and no impacting d-deals.

Also showed his true character by being completely unprepared to deal with anything of consequence and sluffed off the entire fanbase in the process.

Edited by Gawdzukes

13 minutes ago, nergish said:

VAN

Q. Hughes
B. Boeser // C. Garland
T. Myers

NJD

D. Hamilton

S. Nemec
S. Mukhamadullin
1st 2023

If they pulled off this trade, I would be super excited about the Canucks and their future. But dang, all 3 Hughes' bros in New Jersey. At least they'd play in the east.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well Minny also has a hall of fame bound goalie holding things down, which when he's on, Demko was essentially that for us and it was going ok last season. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think Allvin is a complete dolt. He's shown it on the Miller deal, the Boeser deal, the multitude of winger deals, and no impacting d-deals.

To be fair, JR has said numerous times he's mentoring Allvin, so any suspect deals undoubtedly have gone through him as well.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

TBF a lot of people were thinking Boeser would bounce back.  I wasnt in that camp but I dont think Boeser is an anchor contract either.  Guess we will see.  

I was also in the camp that JT would be traded.  Whether he bounces back or is traded before his deal kicks in will be something to watch.  A lot hinges on JT so criticism is fair.

OEL/Myers and a flat cap tied their hands with D.  Sucks but that could change hopefully this off season.

I do like most of the players they brought in tho