The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Boeser, Myers and Pearson traded

Just now, BigTramFan said:

Hmm yeah I don't have an issue with retaining on Pearson for 1 year to move him. We have too many wingers already - not just Bennings doing btw. The other option is to keep Pearson on the roster and not resign Kuzmenko. That way we have no dead cap, but we lose a decent player... 

And you get a great return from moving Kuzmenko as a rental.  That's a far superior option.

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Know why it hasn't happened? Because it is far off from reality.

You won't be able to offload Myer's contract without attaching a 1st round pick.

Guess what Arizona got in return for taking on 2 years of Bryan Little at a cap hit of $5.29m in 2022?

Must have been a 1st round pick right?

No, they got AHL player Nathan Smith, plus they PAID a 4th round pick for Little + Smith...

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Guess what Arizona got in return for taking on 2 years of Bryan Little at a cap hit of $5.29m in 2022?

Must have been a 1st round pick right?

No, they got AHL player Nathan Smith, plus they PAID a 4th round pick for Little + Smith...

Nathan Smith is a pretty good prospect. And Little’s contract is fully insured, and he’s not coming back, so it doesn’t really cost the team anything (not even cap space, if they want to apply for LTIR relief.

Myers is tough to move because of 1) his $6M cap hit, and 2) the $5M signing bonus he’s due on July 1st. So both the cap-conscious and the cash-conscious teams have a major hurdle to take him on. But if we simply wait until the bonus is paid, he suddenly becomes an asset to the cash-conscious teams… …but that may be a problem if Vancouver is one of them.

Edited by D-Money

17 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Personally I'd prefer a rebuild but can't see FA agreeing to that. So what else can we do?

Depending on who you believe all these 3 guys have little to no to negative value...

However, I have seen a few trades proposed on Capfriendly from other teams' fans for these players and makes me wonder if these trades would be good moves to make before the TDL (Boeser) and in the off season (Myers and Pearson):

To BUF: Boeser

To VAN: Mittelstadt

Mittelstadt just turned 24 years old. Is a center, has been averaging 16 mins a game and can play both PP and PK. Seems like a decent candidate for future 3C. Most importantly this trade moves Boeser's full cap hit without retention.

To ARI: Myers + 2023 4th round pick

To VAN: Little

Trade made after Myers' $5m signing bonus is paid. Little will have 1 year left at $5.2m but is on LTIR and contract is fully insured so VAN can bury him on LTIR. Arizona is running such a cheap roster that Little is not even on LTIR there, so not much difference for ARI between Little's cap hit and Myers' cap hit. Arizona gets a top 4 RD in Myers for only $1m in salary cost plus a 4th round pick.

To WPG: Pearson (50% retained)

To VAN: 5th round pick

Trade made in off season. WPG get a cheap ($1.625m) middle 6 winger.

VAN signs Horvat (8m), Kuzmenko (6m), Severson (6m), Bear (2.75), Dermott (1.8), Schenn (1.0), Burroughs (0.8m)

image.thumb.png.685d77816bd3fc088c51ed9f4d884d70.png

Great work on this  - a very realistic proposal that keeps our most productive players together for another year

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

Nathan Smith is a pretty good prospect. And Little’s contract is fully insured, and he’s not coming back, so it doesn’t really cost the team anything (not even cap space, if they want to apply for LTIR relief.

Myers is tough to move because of 1) his $6M cap hit, and 2) the $5M signing bonus he’s due on July 1st. So both the cap-conscious and the cash-conscious teams have a major hurdle to take him on. But if we simply wait until the bonus is paid, he suddenly becomes an asset to the cash-conscious teams… …but that may be a problem if Vancouver is one of them.

My proposal is to move Myers in the off season once his signing bonus is paid.

Arizona do not appear to be anywhere near spending to the cap limit. Not this season and not next season. So LTIR will not be used no matter what they do. It would be either Little's $5.29m cap hit or Myers' $6m cap hit sitting on their roster.

Here are the 2 scenarios for Arizona:

1. Keep Little and his insured contract (no real cost). Pay a league minimum RD $750k to fill a spot on their blueline next season. Little + the RD will have a total combined cap hit of $6.04m on their roster. ARI will pay $750k in actual salary costs.

2. Trade Little for Myers + a 4th. Myers will actually play as a RD on your roster, so no need for that league minimum RD. Total cap hit is $6.0m and actual salary cost is $1m. Basically it's a lower cap hit overall, just $250k more in salary cost, and Arizona get a 4th round pick out of it.

Essentially they get back the 4th round pick they spent to acquire Little + Smith.

Arizona is cheap but they're not dumb.

20 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Personally I'd prefer a rebuild but can't see FA agreeing to that. So what else can we do?

Depending on who you believe all these 3 guys have little to no to negative value...

However, I have seen a few trades proposed on Capfriendly from other teams' fans for these players and makes me wonder if these trades would be good moves to make before the TDL (Boeser) and in the off season (Myers and Pearson):

To BUF: Boeser

To VAN: Mittelstadt

Mittelstadt just turned 24 years old. Is a center, has been averaging 16 mins a game and can play both PP and PK. Seems like a decent candidate for future 3C. Most importantly this trade moves Boeser's full cap hit without retention.

To ARI: Myers + 2023 4th round pick

To VAN: Little

Trade made after Myers' $5m signing bonus is paid. Little will have 1 year left at $5.2m but is on LTIR and contract is fully insured so VAN can bury him on LTIR. Arizona is running such a cheap roster that Little is not even on LTIR there, so not much difference for ARI between Little's cap hit and Myers' cap hit. Arizona gets a top 4 RD in Myers for only $1m in salary cost plus a 4th round pick.

To WPG: Pearson (50% retained)

To VAN: 5th round pick

Trade made in off season. WPG get a cheap ($1.625m) middle 6 winger.

VAN signs Horvat (8m), Kuzmenko (6m), Severson (6m), Bear (2.75), Dermott (1.8), Schenn (1.0), Burroughs (0.8m)

image.thumb.png.685d77816bd3fc088c51ed9f4d884d70.png

I don't think the Sabres require a RW as they have so many young players starting to show their talent.

Brock would end up being a 3rd RW on that team, where his salary is way too high for that role.  There

are other teams that could use his help as a 2nd RW; LA + NYI sure could use him.

I agree that trading Myers won't be a hard sell in the offseason, when his bonus is paid off.  He may not

drop his NMC for AZ though, but there are other teams that have excessive salary cap and wouldn't

mind paying him $1M for next season.

Pearson is good depth for a contender; especially 50% retained (only for 1 season).

Team ends up with an extra -/+ $13m with the trades, but is that enough with the remaining cap to retain

Bo, Kuze, new Miller contract, Seversen and the RFA/UFA re-signings?  Also, heads up for the incoming

contract coming to Pete, which is going to be much higher than Bo or Miller.

I will be really disappointed to see Bo traded, but I don't see any other way.  I wonder if they can

even retain Kuze.

21 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

So you agree with the proposed moves but you want to sign Horvat to 7.6m, Kuz 4.9m, Bear 3.5m, Dermott 2.4m? Fine by me but I don't think that gets you Horvat or Kuz. And overall those moves cost another $1.35m above what I proposed, so it won't be cap compliant.

Where do you propose to find a defensive minded #2RD under 27 years old? (can you name even one that might be available?)

Do you think anyone on this site would know??? Come on serious?? These things are kept internal except for those who start rumours?

Myers should have increased trade value once his bonus has been paid. Slight retention and we can clear him. Worse case we get a third party involved. They take the retention and the pick offered for him as their compensation.

Move the contract at zero cost.

Edited by Rush17

On 12/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, BigTramFan said:

My proposal is to move Myers in the off season once his signing bonus is paid.

Arizona do not appear to be anywhere near spending to the cap limit. Not this season and not next season. So LTIR will not be used no matter what they do. It would be either Little's $5.29m cap hit or Myers' $6m cap hit sitting on their roster.

Here are the 2 scenarios for Arizona:

1. Keep Little and his insured contract (no real cost). Pay a league minimum RD $750k to fill a spot on their blueline next season. Little + the RD will have a total combined cap hit of $6.04m on their roster. ARI will pay $750k in actual salary costs.

2. Trade Little for Myers + a 4th. Myers will actually play as a RD on your roster, so no need for that league minimum RD. Total cap hit is $6.0m and actual salary cost is $1m. Basically it's a lower cap hit overall, just $250k more in salary cost, and Arizona get a 4th round pick out of it.

Essentially they get back the 4th round pick they spent to acquire Little + Smith.

Arizona is cheap but they're not dumb.

There's the salary floor to consider.  Without Little they might have to keep Myers past the TDL to avoid falling below the salary floor.  Kind of defeats the purpose of adding a UFA to sell off at the TDL if they end up being forced to keep him for cap reasons.  The Little contract is not a negative in their case.   

The Ladd and Little contracts are helping Arizona reach the floor - they would be at less than 55M without them when the floor is at 61M.  They also have to be sufficiently above to be able to sell their UFAs at the TDL.  Ladd's 5M is expiring this year - wouldn't be surprising if they are looking to take on another LTIR contract.   Arizona also trying to integrate prospects so LTIR contracts helps them reach the floor on the cheap without using up roster spots.

Myers also has a 10 team no trade list.  Would he really want to go to Arizona.  Part of media believes that the Dickinson trade was salary motivated - would the Canucks even trade him once his bonus is paid or would they rather try before.

If they do try and trade him after his bonus payment, then a team like Arizona, Chicago etc could act as intermediary to retain 50% (only 500K in salary) so he can be traded at a 3M cap hit.  At 3M that could make him quite interesting to more competitive teams and the return should off-set the cost of involving a 3rd team.

Fwiw Anaheim has Klingberg, Shattenkirk and Kulikov expiring this year - ie 3 veteran Ds.  They work on an internal budget but still paid Klingberg 7M for 1-year to use him as trade bait at the TDL.  They also took Kulikov's final year for future considerations (2.25M salary / cap hit).

Edited by mll

Trade on of our wingers for this guy.......

He'll be a UFA. Not good, but I'm sure he can be signed in a cap friendly way for us. And he's a not so desirable LD, but dudes got character, is big and mobile.

I'm sure there's other moves to do to get him that don't include Flow, but I'm sure Blue Jackets would like a player like Flow. Garland? Pearson?

• Like 1