The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Horvats torrid pace actually started his last 30ish games last year.   Was on pace for close to 50 then pro-rated over 82 games ... guess we find out soon enough.      

if you look at the shortened 20/21   17F0C7E5-88FE-4F98-9DD1-1A4450FD07B4.thumb.jpeg.5230f05a8888ff4cbf9fbb05807a3ee1.jpeg56 games 19 g. It might have been sooner than we know. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are several options to attain the cap needed for him and Kuzmenko. This whole thing reminds me of the JT negotiations,  just like JT they will not get anywhere near the return worth it too trade BO, he's a rental who would fetch more as a UFA even without 8 years.

I really despise our management and hate the way they conduct themselves, and if we lose Horvat for a 1st and  a prospect it will be a worse move than anything Benning ever did.

Move Garland, Pearson, Myers, etc, this reeks of ego. There are teams ahead of us with far bigger contracts and with the cap going up there is no reason we can have Horvat at 8-8.5 on a max term. The sens have 5 of them.

Spot on man. It really doesn’t need to be one player or the other we have like 20 million in cap we could move that wouldn’t hurt our team 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Devron said:

Could have gotten Bo for 7 in the summer I tell ya. They low balled him now they will pay for it. Go Bo Go

I'm sure he's looking at Roope Hintz's deal, and Coutures, and saying i'm worth that ... 8-8.45 AVV., and he's been proving it the past 70 games or so.    Agent says he's a first line center.    That much up until the past 70ish games - is for sure not what the track record indicates, which i'm sure is JR's camps view.    Sure maybe on a bad team before that ... but those guys come in with a 6 at the start.    First line UFA C's... Zib's deal also isn't so terrible.   Before the season it was somewhere between Hayes and Coutures.   Now it's going up and up. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

We can always just sign him too.    Both have merits...but if he wants out then not much the team can do.  

I would not. 

I agree on both avenues have their equal amounts of pros and cons.

But I would just trade him so he can go on to a team that can win.

I honestly feel bad for Horvat that he's played almost 600 games and most of that is with losing. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

Back in our natural spot, the squishy middle. 
After worse than expected start we are where we should be low middle of the pack. 
Pacific is worse than expected this year so opportunity to scrape into playoffs and convince ownership that we should hold on to Bo and all the little wingers and are a UFA away from contention. :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

8 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

i got a hate/love with miller, even at deadline there isnt teams with cap space and why would bottom feeders pay for his contract when he's 30 but i guess we'll see, just dont see it happening.

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Wow Miller, a point a game player signed to a fair deal @ 8m, is not wanted by any team in this league? 

Miller is on a fair contract. He'd be important to a team that needs help scoring. Problem is, we have no problems scoring. we should have allocated his funds to shore up the defence but we went oilers route and loaded up on goals instead. 

8 hours ago, Pickly said:

Who the F is going to trade for Miller at this point? So many people on here clammer just trade Miller and sign Horvat as if it were that easy. That ship probably sailed in the off-season as Horvat is now much more valuable and Miller is being exposed for what he is. A big F up by management (ownership) but one they are probably going to have to eat. Trading Miller is an absolute pipe dream at this point.  

I would be shocked if Miller was traded..

I wouldn't put it past this management team tho IMO. I'm for it if it means retaining Bo.

6 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Think we have some bait, i dont want to trade podz. hoglander I could see being moved, especially with Lekkerimakï in the pipeline.

Too many Wingers as is,

Miller, Kuzmenko,Mikheyev,

Boeser, Garland, Pearson,

Pederson, Studnicka, Lazar,

Joshua, Hoglander, Podkolzin. 

Petey, Horvat, Aman..........Dries

D needs more size, snarl, not necessarily an enforcer but definitely 1 or 2 guys that are more than capable (Xhekaj) sp is an good example.(too many minors though) 

Graves & Severson are both UFA at seasons end, I'd be OK with the pair as long as the term and aav isnt ludicrous. 

top 5 d wouldn't be horrible, we've definitely had worse

Hughes Severson

OEL Myers

Graves 

I would keep Podz & Hogs at all costs because if we have any chance at re-signing Bo & Kuzmenko we're going to need cheap but effective players on the roster.

Garland, Boeser, Pearson are the 3 wingers that I would get rid of in order to create cap, and Podz and Hogs can fill 3rd line roles.

Pederson - Petey - Kuz

Miller - Bo - Mik

Hogs - _____ - Podz

They can move up and down the lineup as needed too.

Just my 2 cents. If we have any shot at re-signing Bo and Kuzmenko these two will need to be retained.

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Well boeser didn’t look great in Lanes spot.

to be honest it’s only a few games but I’ve been extremely impressed by Lane so far. Whether it a flash in the pan, pure adrenaline or a Jeff The brabarian like high level surge of play by an ahl tweeter / bottom line grinder or something sustainable we will see with time.

but I notice him positively every game and he produces. 

he also brings: size, and defensive awareness as he’s a natural C to the line while allowing Mikehyev to play with Horvat or Miller which is very advantageous to have him helping one of those two out.

lane has a strong net front presence 5 on 5 and has shown he has the IQ and skill to be a solid passenger on this line for now at least. 

I like your take.

It wouldn't surprise me if he sticks with this line for the rest of the season tbh.

No one expected Alex Burrows to work with the Sedins, but it did and he stuck there..

Pederson has the skill and IQ to play with Petey.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Maginator said:

I like your take.

It wouldn't surprise me if he sticks with this line for the rest of the season tbh.

No one expected Alex Burrows to work with the Sedins, but it did and he stuck there..

Pederson has the skill and IQ to play with Petey.

Pearson is coming back 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Back in our natural spot, the squishy middle. 
After worse than expected start we are where we should be low middle of the pack. 
Pacific is worse than expected this year so opportunity to scrape into playoffs and convince ownership that we should hold on to Bo and all the little wingers and are a UFA away from contention. :picard:

THIS!! Always the case every year. We suck the lollipop of mediocrity and end up middle of the pack. Management figures we can't trade any players as we need them for the playoffs - only to let them walk for nothing!  

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

The last few games have got me slightly optimistic. If we can get through the tough part of the schedule starting tomorrow until the end of January, we might have a shot at the playoffs.

January will determine whether we trade Bo Horvat and slew of other assets at the TDL or we keep them for the playoff drive. Either way, we are going to be without some of the key pieces come next season. 

Myers have looked a lot better with OEL for sure. Huggy-Bear is good so far. Stillman-Schenn is having a lot of trouble moving the puck. I'm hoping Dermott draws in for Stillman shortly and we will have a decent 3rd pairing.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah but if he can play like this 80-90 percent of the time, that is a solid top 4D player. 

Hopefully getting Dermott back will bump Stillman out and balance out the pairings better

I feel it's quite funny when people mention Dermott as some kind of savior. He's not really any good to begin with. After this layoff it's hard to imagine him having much positive impact at all.

• RoughGame 1

11 hours ago, Devron said:

Could have gotten Bo for 7 in the summer I tell ya. They low balled him now they will pay for it. Go Bo Go

As a Canucks fan, I hope we trade Bo for good return, which could help us reset for the future.

But I've also come to like and respect Bo, the player and the person. and I hope he gets 50 this season, the team keeps him for the playoff push as an own rental, and he walks to the UFA to sign a big contract with another team.

He didn't pout even when we were losing, he just went and played to the best of his abilities. Yes, he has limitations and he is not the Selke level two way  centerman that we were hoping for. But if the rumoured offer of 5.1 mil is true, this management needs a slap in the face. And Bo scoring 50 and walking to the UFA would be that.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, combover said:

I disagree they generated scoring chances they scored yup they got caught in there own end but (who didn’t) over all they were good. 
I agree they’ve  looked better in other games. 

millers line looked like they we stuck  in the mud all night. 

EP's line is our first line. And the fact that they weren't able to dominate the play against the Sharks is a bit concerning.

I think part of the reason is Bruce's trust in Petey's abilities to make everyone better. That line played quite a bit with the 3rd defensive pairing of Stillman-Schenn, which had trouble moving the puck out of the defensive zone. Petey was busy playing defence, trying to get the puck out and didn't have much opportunity to transition the puck or much of a zone time other than that goal.

Pederson is starting to show why he is a marginal level player. I hope he pulls a Burrows and sticks though. Plays a responsible two way game. A player like him needs to bring some grit and fire to stick though and I barely see that from him.

Miller-Garland were pretty bad. Looked uninspired.I think Miller's been criticized numerous times here so I'm not going to beat the dead horse but I will say that Garland needs to be better. Garland is a poor defensive player so he needs to own the puck in the offensive zone. He barely had zone time last game.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I feel it's quite funny when people mention Dermott as some kind of savior. He's not really any good to begin with. After this layoff it's hard to imagine him having much positive impact at all.

Dermott can't be worse than Stillman though.

At least Dermott can skate and make a decent pass.