The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Pre game last night were pointing out how JT had been put on wing to help Bo with his 5 on 5 game.

Who ever said that was completely wrong.

all you have to do is look at the plus minus stats from before Bo got saddled with Miller.

Easy to tell who has the greater defensive issues.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Lets put this into perspective. They just beat San Jose a bottom feeder. 

Next they get a true test in Winnipeg. 

Sure the San Jose win was nice but now it's back to good teams on the upswing. 

Don't get sucked in here.

Yes. Exactly yet people get all excited they won three and forget, all season they have won three, lost three or have played and beat these bottom teams but have not done as well against .500 or higher teams. It's sort of what they have shown to be at this point. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

all you have to do is look at the plus minus stats from before Bo got saddled with Miller.

Apparently it was Bruce that lacked faith in his wingers.

Makes sense. Podz and Hogs shuffled, Brock got the treatment, as did Garland...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Love Bo but he’s not a good defensive player.  Miller, at centre, is better defensively than Bo.  But neither is a matchup guy.  

• RoughGame 2
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sharks were coming off a dominating 5-2 win over Minnesota.  The Wild have the same record as the Jets.  NHL teams are all good.  Got to play the right way and get solid goaltending to win, no matter who the opponent is. 

Thats why we have 7 game playoff series' and the tourny is considered one of the hardest in sports to win.

As you said, NHL teams are all good, closer than people realise. 

Any given Sunday.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well you also have to remember that Miller played well and got his contract before his contract expired and now Bo is doing the same thing. It's not crazy that they play well when their contracts expire. They want the most money they can get for free agency to set themselves up. I am not so impressed by individual statistics as I am TEAM statistics. That's what should be the most important thing for this management group. Too often I find that we all get caught up in individual statistics when the record show this team doesn't mix well. It's a roller coaster team. It's not great if everyone is having a career year and yet we are .500 or lower. How many times must we go through it's just not a cohesive group.

I’m not a JT hater at all, but I think Bo’s character is generally of higher stuff and I don’t think he’s the type of guy to let off the gas when he gets his big money contract. I think he’s found something in the offensive side of his game that is sustainable for years to come. Almost as much as his much improved shot its his soft hands around the net which have impressed me. Could very well be part of the much talked about Oates-effect. This is very likely his career year in goals but I have little doubt he’s got a some a 40 goal campaign or two left in him. He’s probably an easy 30 goal guy now at the very least.

As for team mix, I’m all for improving that - around existing names like Petterson, Hughes….and yes, HORVAT. :bigblush: I won’t partake in any gross gloating which some displayed after JT was signed, but I will quietly enjoy witnessing the reaction in here if Horvat resigns with the Canucks.

Lastly….don’t forget the quote from Adam Oates in regards to Bo, as relayed by Luke Schenn….”He’s a powerful man”. :towel:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Thats why we have 7 game playoff series' and the tourny is considered one of the hardest in sports to win.

Any given Sunday.

Well we are 19th in percentage points. So impressive. I can't believe that some people are going to try to pretend like this team is close to being a competitive club. Boggles the mind the amount of losing we have gone through and some just can't stand to think this team needs big change.

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Any given Sunday.

Watching our guys play it’s clear we have the high end players in the key positions to be a winner.  Great goalie.  Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Bo.  The supporting cast is changing over to JR/Allvin guys.  More to come. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

If the team doesn't excite you and it's not going to be the case until they're a different team, why? Why not go away and come back later when they suit your liking? I don't like to chase people away but if even wins are nothing but grumbling dissatisfaction, maybe it's you who's doing it wrong.

Yes, after losing 3 I get excited if they win 3...it's sort of the point for me. To take something good away from it all.

Teams CAN turn things around. Our goaltending wasn't up to par and that matters...Demko wasn't his usual self. Now, I agree he can't be lights out every game and save the team, it's important players are all firing at the same time. If they show signs of that it IS reason to be excited...we have some good, exciting players. I mean, Mikheyev? Kuz? Petey's showing why he's so valuable? If you can't find anything (at all) to be excited about that might be on you, not us.

Aaaaaaa. I was waiting for this response. The fan who thinks he can tell people to go away. What a new concept. It's never been tried before. Lol. Your funny. I think reality hurts and you can't handle the truth. If you don't like my posts just ignore them. As much as it hurts you, this team needs change. You can't get fooled by individual statistics. That's all it shows they are good at. The teams stats are disgusting. Yet some are so excited they have career years. They are one game over and 19th in percentage points. Are these really our standards as fans. Yay they won't three, oh they lost three but that's ok.

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I won’t partake in any gross gloating which some displayed after JT was signed, but I will quietly enjoy witnessing the reaction in here if Horvat resigns with the Canucks.

I think you've taken it out of context. Those (few) of us pushing for JT to stay took a whole lot of bashing. We were delusional...he "wasn't staying". Etc.

So sure, we had our moment. We earned it. 

Some people are quiet fans, others (me) are not. Both are ok.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Watching our guys play it’s clear we have the high end players in the key positions to be a winner.  Great goalie.  Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Bo.  The supporting cast is changing over to JR/Allvin guys.  More to come. 

You can't add to the current group if you don't have assets to give to get the players they need to build around them. That's our issue. That's why I think players like Bo, who I love mind you, need to be traded to bring in more pieces. Sadly, we just don't have a lot to offer other teams to fix our current d core other than Bo and picks and trading more picks would not be smart.

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well we are 19th in percentage points. So impressive. I can't believe that some people are going to try to pretend like this team is close to being a competitive club. Boggles the mind the amount of losing we have gone through and some just can't stand to think this team needs big change.

What do our views have to do with anything?  And believe what you like.  You’re a fan.  Your choice.  IMHAO we are very close to being a winning club again, like what Gillis built.  But it’s still going to take more changes in our supporting players.  We 100% have the core five to win.  Again, what we post here has no bearing on the club’s direction anyway.  

Or do you think it does?  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdubman said:

THIS!! Always the case every year. We suck the lollipop of mediocrity and end up middle of the pack. Management figures we can't trade any players as we need them for the playoffs - only to let them walk for nothing!  

Yup, this has me exhausted as a fan. We never take the little/larger gains to make the team better. Ever it seems. It's too tough of a league to always do the wrong thing and expect one can compete.

• Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yeah, that's beyond laughable.  Miller was put on the wing because he was drinking up the joint defensively........like pressbox bad

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What do our views have to do with anything?  And believe what you like.  You’re a fan.  Your choice.  IMHAO we are very close to being a winning club again, like what Gillis built.  But it’s still going to take more changes in our supporting players.  We 100% have the core five to win.  Again, what we post here has no bearing on the club’s direction anyway.  

Or do you think it does?  

Team statistics don't lie and they are at the bottom of the league. Nowhere close to being a winning club again. I never said once you guys should stop cheering, I am just surprised that fans can be so easily persuaded by this organization by the comments they make but everyone is entitled to cheer and get excited when they want but your comments that they are close are just not true.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1