The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If it’s that simple it’d be true. Boudreau can’t just put together a roster to increase trade value. He needs to win to keep his job and in the current role Brock is producing, period.

Humm…I’m not sure about that. Yes; Beoser has been playing better as of late, but was gifted 1/2 line minutes and PP time when he should have been in the press box previously. Bruce simply would do as his boss told him to do.

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Humm…I’m not sure about that. Yes; Beoser has been playing better as of late, but was gifted 1/2 line minutes and PP time when he should have been in the press box previously. Bruce simply would do as his boss told him to do.

He has 20 points in 26 games so he is producing despite the awful start the entire team had and a couple bad games. So it's not really gifted time if your producing.

Want to see gifted time? 
Goldobin, Nikolai 

6 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Brock Beoser is a function of getting top line minutes and being gifted #1PP. 60% of his points and 50% of his goals are from the PP. when one actually watches games you see; poor skating, doesn’t use his size, no speed, poor effort, and minimal defensive effort. What you get; some good passes and gifted goals. If we put Kuz in the same situations, he’d completely destroy Beosers #s…ditto Ilya too.

May want to check you math there sport.  Boeser has 6 of 20 points on the PP, which is 30%.  Most players that put up points get many from the PP, that is not new or really hard to understand.  McDavid has roughly 50%, as do Draisatl, Pastrnak, Makar, Robertson, Kucherov, and most of the top of the points leaderboard.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I feel it's quite funny when people mention Dermott as some kind of savior. He's not really any good to begin with. After this layoff it's hard to imagine him having much positive impact at all.

Definitely not savior. But we are hoping he can be a solid 5D or an overqualified 6D

Either way, having him in the lineup over Stillman should be an improvement. Trickle effect would be that he plays more minutes than Stillman thereby keeping others more fresh

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Definitely not savior. But we are hoping he can be a solid 5D or an overqualified 6D

Either way, having him in the lineup over Stillman should be an improvement. Trickle effect would be that he plays more minutes than Stillman thereby keeping others more fresh

Stillman was the defender along with Schenn that watched Karlsson do his magic on last night goal… 

People love Schenn but he has taken some dumb penalties and poor defending. He is at best a bottom 6 defender

i want to see Burroughs paired with Dermott

Edited by mordekai

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

May want to check you math there sport.  Boeser has 6 of 20 points on the PP, which is 30%.  Most players that put up points get many from the PP, that is not new or really hard to understand.  McDavid has roughly 50%, as do Draisatl, Pastrnak, Makar, Robertson, Kucherov, and most of the top of the points leaderboard.

Sorry; 50% of goals and 30% of points are on the PP….and a whooping -12 for 2022/23.

And comparing Beoser to those players is comical; those are elite players…Beoser is not. But keep on beating that drum; I hope his hot streak continues so his contract actually become tradable without attaching assets.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2528023

Boudreau: Canucks “starting to believe in themselves”

Bruce Boudreau wouldn't call it "swagger," but the Vancouver Canucks head coach can see his players gaining more confidence in their abilities after a disappointing start to the season.

"I don't like that word, but I think the team is starting to believe in themselves, and I think that's important," Boudreau told reporters Tuesday night after his club defeated the San Jose Sharks 6-2 for Vancouver's third straight win.

The Canucks have inched their way back into the playoff hunt with seven victories in their last 10 contests. Vancouver occupies sixth place in the Pacific Division but now sits five points behind the fourth-place Edmonton Oilers with two games in hand.

Bo Horvat produced his second straight four-point game Tuesday, having notched two goals and two assists both times. The Canucks captain has been spectacular amid swirling trade talk this season. He's tied for second in the NHL in goals with 26 in 34 contests, burying nine in his last 10. The pending unrestricted free agent is only five tallies behind league leader Connor McDavid.

The Canucks rank 25th in expected goals for percentage at five-on-five this season but 20th over the last 10 games, according to Natural Stat Trick. Vancouver heads to Winnipeg to face the Jets on Thursday before meeting the Flames in Calgary on Saturday.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Sorry; 50% of goals and 30% of points are on the PP….and a whooping -12 for 2022/23.

And comparing Beoser to those players is comical; those are elite players…Beoser is not. But keep on beating that drum; I hope his hot streak continues so his contract actually become tradable without attaching assets.

Where did I compare Boeser to those players?  I stated the argument that nearly everyone who puts up points gets a huge chunk on the PP.  Boeser at .3 is on the low end.

I think you are delusional if you think you need to attach assets to trade a 25 YO putting up .7ppg, but that is what it is.  Maybe you are talking about this Beoser guy you keep referring to, who I have never heard of.

Anyway, I'm out on this conversation.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Listened to the radio on my drive earlier.

One fan text'd in saying ' even if the Canucks win the next 10 in a row, wont be happy. This team needs to be rebuilt'

Think about that.

We are scoring like bandits, we have a good core that is the right ages and in the right positions. 

We have been without one of those core pieces, a very important one, Demko. We still need a few tweaks and some more time for our developing stars to bloom. Remember, players do evolve, some folks act like players will remain the same despite gaining experience. 

If we won 10 striaght, 20 more points we would be sitting pretty. However, some fans want it all ripped apart? wow.

Maybe it's too much fantasy league stuff or video game hockey ?

Maybe people aren't just wanting to win a cup but demand to try to build a dynasty?

I dunno, but this batch of players have a lot of potential. Nothing is ever going to be perfect and granted, unless you build that dynasty, you will need a good helping of luck.

Under this ownership we arn't going to re-build. Load it up and let's go.

Lol, 10 game win streak and he won’t be happy? Sounds like @J-23 Ha!

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe it's too much fantasy league stuff or video game hockey ?

Maybe people aren't just wanting to win a cup but demand to try to build a dynasty?

Or maybe some fans have watched the last 8 seasons of the Canucks…

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, jyu said:

EP's line is our first line. And the fact that they weren't able to dominate the play against the Sharks is a bit concerning.

I think part of the reason is Bruce's trust in Petey's abilities to make everyone better. That line played quite a bit with the 3rd defensive pairing of Stillman-Schenn, which had trouble moving the puck out of the defensive zone. Petey was busy playing defence, trying to get the puck out and didn't have much opportunity to transition the puck or much of a zone time other than that goal.

Pederson is starting to show why he is a marginal level player. I hope he pulls a Burrows and sticks though. Plays a responsible two way game. A player like him needs to bring some grit and fire to stick though and I barely see that from him.

Miller-Garland were pretty bad. Looked uninspired.I think Miller's been criticized numerous times here so I'm not going to beat the dead horse but I will say that Garland needs to be better. Garland is a poor defensive player so he needs to own the puck in the offensive zone. He barely had zone time last game.

Couture, Mier EK... isn't crap.    Even when we sucked ... well  LE, the Sedins, Markstrom, Edler, Horvat and Tanev weren't chopped liver but we still sucked so bad we ended up second to last in the league behind COL five and a half years ago.   So let's not go there ok. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

And people celebrating wins get called out for supporting mediocrity. :lol: 

Hoping and cheering for losses is such a loser mentality. It got Edmonton the 2 best players in the world and still can’t become true winners. The sabres and Arizona been doing tear down scorched earth rebuilds for 2 fking decades now. 

Don't forget CAR missed 9 in a row ...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1