The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 03, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Thanks for sharing.......for anyone not thinking we should rebuild, watch this video.  Barely a Chicago player with the puck who didn't get hit.  But hits aside, look at the pace and the hunger of all players.  Yes it's the playoffs, but this is the BIG difference between a contender and our current team.  The Sedins were all about fitness and they led the way.  I've often wondered if the current team's fitness level is the rate limiting step.....

Win or lose, so exciting watching that brand of hockey (dog on a bone hockey)

Apparently hitting doesn't matter anymore.  Kesler, Torres, Bieksa, they wouldn't survive in today's NHL really...

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Apparently hitting doesn't matter anymore.  Kesler, Torres, Bieksa, they wouldn't survive in today's NHL really...

The NHL did a number on that team even then. Rome and Torres case in point. 

Bottom line is that the NHL is a corporate entity. Very clear their intent is to protect their assets. You cannot sign contracts up to 8 years out for $10's of millions and then see that asset threatened by physical injury. Losing such players hurts revenue current and future. 

Watched the doc "Trophy Town" about the 1961 Trail Smoke Eaters. Cannot recommend it any higher. An interesting comment from members of that team was how watered down the physical play had become in the NHL. By a factor of 2 to 3X according to these oldtimers. 4 players from that Trail team were offered NHL contracts but did not go. Their rationale was that they had secure Cominco jobs that apid as good as the NHL and that senior hockey was at a high level. Senior hockey was a very tough brand which gave no quarter. In the 1961 Worlds the Swedes defeated Trail in an exhibition game prior to the tourny. Euro media was bad mouthing Trail for not being close to world competitive and that they were soft. When the tourny started Trail faced the same Swede team. They amped up the hitting and Swedish players were laying on the ice all game. Canada won. Euro media were calling for the Trail players to be thrown in jail for assault and physical harm. They went on to beat the Russians in the finals. This tourny was credited with the decision to play the 1972 Canada-Russia series.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, chon derry said:

One of those “ smoke eaters” eventually moved to Prince Rupert. He played men’s league here. early 70s. He was in his mid 50s at the time. Was Still very good. And was instrumental in creating the silver grizzly kings which saw rob brind’amours father and numerous other aged out JrA whl players come here.    I played senior A and JrB (pnwhl) with his son. His grandson is current fire chief. 

What a great story about the Brind'amours. 

I might be repeating myself but here goes. On that 1961 Trail team there was a fellow named Buckna. In the doc they said his parents had left Czechoslavakia because of the communist. He decided to go back to live there just to see what it was like. He got involved in their hockey and ended up coaching the national team and developing the game. He was considered the father of Czech hockey. He is also credited with the tough brand of hockey that the Czech's still play today. He brought that tough brand of hockey from Trail. Kinda neat that Canada plays Czechia for Gold today. Should be a great game. 

When I took my son thru minor hockey I soon recognized the hard teams to play. They were Trail, Kimberley and Fernie. Players from the old senior league went into coaching in those towns after their playing days. They built a culture of hockey knowledge. My grandson is currently playing PeeWee (or whatever they call it now a days in Fernie. His team is top notch and dominating games where ever they play. I get to see him play this weekend. :)   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I might be repeating myself but here goes. On that 1961 Trail team there was a fellow named Buckna. In the doc they said his parents had left Czechoslavakia because of the communist. He decided to go back to live there just to see what it was like. He got involved in their hockey and ended up coaching the national team and developing the game. He was considered the father of Czech hockey. He is also credited with the tough brand of hockey that the Czech's still play today. He brought that tough brand of hockey from Trail. Kinda neat that Canada plays Czechia for Gold today. Should be a great game. 

When I took my son thru minor hockey I soon recognized the hard teams to play. They were Trail, Kimberley and Fernie. Players from the old senior league went into coaching in those towns after their playing days. They built a culture of hockey knowledge. My grandson is currently playing PeeWee (or whatever they call it now a days in Fernie. His team is top notch and dominating games where ever they play. I get to see him play this weekend. :)   

The trickle down effect throughout BC  and western Canada is long lasting. There’s recognizable names Throughout all levels of hockey. Although in the north hockey’s still strong ,just not like it was early in the 70s to mid 80s 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

The trickle down effect throughout BC  and western Canada is long lasting. There’s recognizable names Throughout all levels of hockey. Although in the north hockey’s still strong ,just not like it was early in the 70s to mid 80s 

I could not help but smile watching Team Canada win last night. My reaction was more to do with the fans than the team. Their reactions as the 3rd wound down was classic Canadian. We are such an insecure people until it comes to a hockey game. Steely resolve combined with finesse and physicality. Love it. The micromanagers and politicians are so intimidated by the disregard that fans hold them in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I could not help but smile watching Team Canada win last night. My reaction was more to do with the fans than the team. Their reactions as the 3rd wound down was classic Canadian. We are such an insecure people until it comes to a hockey game. Steely resolve combined with finesse and physicality. Love it. The micromanagers and politicians are so intimidated by the disregard that fans hold them in. 

Add to that. The Atlantic provinces are sorely lacking representation on the  NHL stage. I’d love to see Halifax get a team. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Great apology. No, Mike Buckna was not on the '61 Smokies. He played for Trail from 1931-35. He was born in Trail in 1913. He left for Czechia in 1935 and his involvement with hockey there was immediate. He played on the Czech team in 1938 against his old Smokies and lost 2-1. When the war started he returned to Trail to work and again play for the Smokies. He turned down a contract to play for the Chicago Black Hawks. After the war he returned to coach the Czech team to a Spengler Cup, World Gold in 1947 and to Olympic Silver in 1947. Canada beat Czechia in '47 for Gold. He left when the communist took over. Soviets were said to have learnt their hockey from Buckna's Czech championship teams.  He went back off and on and was always held in high esteem there. The Father of Czech hockey. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

Wish I could make that kind of money for doing nothing, ever.

It's kind of tough though. They got to arrange a town car to get into work and then find something to do for 8 hours while they're supposed to be working. I've been there, it's boring. Probably CDC. I guess the hundreds of thousands of dollars helps but yeah I really feel for them.

Schmunucks!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

I honestly wish the press would just not go to the press room. They never ask any different questions and the players always say the same things. It's pointless!

Poll question. How exciting are the Canucks out of 10?

a) 1/10

b) 0/10

c) -1/10

On 1/4/2023 at 10:53 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure if you noticed the TSN turning point in the game against Colorado but the Canucks were dogs on a bone for once and there was a sudden increase in hitting (thanks Lazar and Lockwood.  There's a lot I agree with from you, but in this case, you're completely wrong in my books.  Kesler in his prime would absolutely do well still and that's the type of player this team needs. Every team needs a Bieksa and Torres......well his relevance would be the same because he'd be suspended in either decade.

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Not sure if you noticed the TSN turning point in the game against Colorado but the Canucks were dogs on a bone for once and there was a sudden increase in hitting (thanks Lazar and Lockwood.  There's a lot I agree with from you, but in this case, you're completely wrong in my books.  Kesler in his prime would absolutely do well still and that's the type of player this team needs. Every team needs a Bieksa and Torres......well his relevance would be the same because he'd be suspended in either decade.

My bad, I should have used an emoji, you clearly didn't recognize my sarcasm...   :)

Of course Bieksa and Kesler would still dominate today.  My response was sarcastic because some people feel hitting doesn't matter anymore...