The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 05, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

You're just completely missing the point and the bigger picture, my man. Convincing you of anything is like talking to a brick wall so I'm not going to bother today, k?

Missing the point of what?  You chastised FA for wanting to run a profitable business did you not?  Don't all business owners want their business to make money?  Fans that expect FA to willingly let his business flounder for a decade or so are completely delusional.

You don't like how he runs his business vote with your wallet and power as a consumer.  Don't go to games, don't watch on TV, don't buy merch, don't post on the teams official message board.  He has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into this team, never sparing any expense and people want to berate him for that?  Cmon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 2

Just now, stawns said:

Missing the point of what?  You chastised FA for wanting to run a profitable business did you not?  Don't all business owners want their business to make money?  Fans that expect FA to willingly let his business flounder for a decade or so are completely delusional.

You don't like how he runs his business vote with your wallet and power as a consumer.  Don't go to games, don't watch on TV, don't buy merch, don't post on the teams official message board.  He has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into this team, never sparing any expense and people want to berate him for that?  Cmon

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sorry Stawns....just can't with you today lol move on. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

Not to pile on the Miller hate train but I noticed yesterday that he was always a step late when playing with Petey. They're were seams and pockets where Petey was flying up ice looking for a pass when Miller had the puck. Miller then took an extra second while skating with the puck before making the pass to Petey which then closed the lane he had. Miller did make the right play but it was a second late. I wonder if they will start clicking better if they play better. 

I think putting Boeser on pp1 over kuz and Miller on a line with Petey are all ploys to up their value for a trade. 

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I'm not sure you understand the point of a discussion board. 

You're free to put me on ignore anytime, but whining about an owner who has never spared any expense trying to put a winning team on the ice and bring the city a Cup is beyond ridiculous and I'm going to challenge you on it every time 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get that he spends to the cap. That's better than an owner like Melnyk but we have problems with other areas. 

He cheaped out with WD and then Green. His vision for the team sucks

His constant want to make the playoffs when we should have rebuilt has resulted in quite a few in the organization leaving. 

I feel like he is reactive not proactive.

I question whether the current exec has full autonomy because something doesn't jive. 

JR and Allvin were bang on with their assessment of the team when they first came in but all their actions were opposite to what they said. 

Basically they said we need to get younger and faster. Our defensive structure is too loose. Demko covered up a lot of deficiencies and is not sustainable hockey. 2nd half record was due to a coaching bump and that other teams took us lightly in the 2nd half  playing their backup goalies and not going 100 percent. 

They said all this and then ran it back with the same team. 

Its very puzzling... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I get that he spends to the cap. That's better than an owner like Melnyk but we have problems with other areas. 

He cheaped out with WD and then Green. His vision for the team sucks

His constant want to make the playoffs when we should have rebuilt has resulted in quite a few in the organization leaving. 

I feel like he is reactive not proactive.

I question whether the current exec has full autonomy because something doesn't jive. 

JR and Allvin were bang on with their assessment of the team when they first came in but all their actions were opposite to what they said. 

Basically they said we need to get younger and faster. Our defensive structure is too loose. Demko covered up a lot of deficiencies and is not sustainable hockey. 2nd half record was due to a coaching bump and that other teams took us lightly in the 2nd half  playing their backup goalies and not going 100 percent. 

They said all this and then ran it back with the same team. 

Its very puzzling... 

He doesn't hire the coaches, nor does he make roster decisions, despite what many think 

20 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup

I always said Miller doesn't play hockey the right way. 

He is a gambler and takes chances to try scoring goals which is not sustainable hockey. 

Hes like a gambler that had a good night playing craps and then cashed in his chips. 

Guys that play the right way and sustainable hockey on this team is Petey, Podkolzin and Mikheyev. 

Weird how that's 2 Russians and a Swede but that's the truth. 

BO is probably right behind them in how they play a 2 way game

Yup, I've seen the way Miller plays for years coasting behind his mark looking for a turnover ... every time. It was no big deal while we were growing as a team and leaning on him offensively. He paid big dividends for us. Perfect symbiosis. The plan always was and should have been to trade him for more then we paid for a huge win. He's a finishing piece on a top team not a player to lean on as an example to grow your youth.

Remember at one point some posters were pretty much comparing him to Gawd for his leadership and drive. Apparently they only saw what they wanted to see. I bet those old threads would provide quite the chuckle. Hilarious times.

12 minutes ago, chon derry said:

He does spend the money. But is it justifiable to only him for his possible interference? Or micro managing trades. Not that anyone knows for sure but looking at the last 12 years the teams always in win now mode. (Mediocre). Winning enough games to have him say it works. But Losing enough to counter and say it doesn’t. The lack of success over 12 yrs suggest it doesn’t. 

What interference?  Where's the evidence of that, beyond rumour and conjecture.  Even if there is some truth to it, it's his business.  If you own a business, aren't you going to expect to have some influence and say in how it's run? 

He's not just a bank 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

They were talking about that on the radio yesterday. What’s the best we’d get in a trade for Kuz? A late 1st round pick? How many late 1st round picks go on to score 30 goals a season? I’m guessing not many. 

One thing Friedman mentioned on 32 thoughts is the new ban on foreign home buyers and how that effects Canadian teams from attracting players 

he specifically mentioned this may effect kuzy but the details of this new ban are uncertain  

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

What interference?  Where's the evidence of that, beyond rumour and conjecture.  Even if there is some truth to it, it's his business.  If you own a business, aren't you going to expect to have some influence and say in how it's run? 

He's not just a bank 

It’s totally his prerogative. But how many times has he said in the media he knows what the Vancouver market wants. It’s at that point it becomes him having more money than brains hockey wise. It’s enough for a few home playoff games. And that’s it. With the past management groups that have come and gone. Some publically stating rebuild retool. Some towing the company line. For the cheque. It’s his sand box. And it stinks of “ my way or the hiway”. ( mediocre ) forever until he finally wakes up to it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

It’s totally his prerogative. But how many times has he said in the media he knows what the Vancouver market wants. It’s at that point it becomes him having more money than brains hockey wise. It’s enough for a few home playoff games. And that’s it. With the past management groups that have come and gone. Some publically stating rebuild retool. Some towing the company line. For the cheque. It’s his sand box. And it stinks of “ my way or the hiway”. ( mediocre ) forever until he finally wakes up to it. 

Is there actual evidence of that though?

14 minutes ago, chon derry said:

We haven't had one of those in 8 years. 

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Is there actual evidence of that though?

The fact that we as fans are talking /debating  owner management styles or history. Coupled  with the mediocracy and controversy I’ll stick with my view of FA being a my way or the hiway owner. Recent history keeps repeating itself. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1