The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I find it more laughable if you think a contender looks at Myers (with salary retained or not) and thinks he’s a player they want. :lol:

Like there’s so many D men available at the deadline that can play a depth shutdown role. Why would they want Myers at 3 mil who can’t even play as well as a lot of those guys? Hell Schenn is a better target and would come at a third of the price!

You know how players keep leaving the Canucks and going on to play well elsewhere? It's because teams actually look for guys that will fit their roster needs, partners/linemates and systems .

A team with solid, defense leaning LHD to play with an a hole ate RHD will happily add him, and he'll likely look good doing so.

Schenn's a great target if you're just looking for physical/defensive guy, yup. Especially at his cap hit. He should garner a solid return. That has nothing to do with Myers.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

But they’d buy out Garland?

Id rather take the shorter buyout hit for one season. They’re not gonna be a cap team next season anyways.

Its about clearing house and starting fresh with a new D core and coach.

Tyler Myers
image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.canucksa

After another string of disastrous performances, the subject of getting rid of Myers sooner rather than later has been raised once again. If that’s going to happen, however, it’s going to have to happen via a trade, because Myers’ contract is effectively buyout-proof.
Because of that $5 million signing bonus still to be paid, if the Canucks were to buy out Myers’ contract this summer, they would still be hit with a $5.33 million hit for the 2023/24 season. That’s a savings of just $667K, followed up by a $333K penalty the following year. There’s just no scenario in which that’s worthwhile, especially when burying Myers in the minors would literally result in more cap space and no penalty.
Even trading Myers with a full 50% retention leaves the Canucks with far more cap flexibility than a buyout. This one ain’t happening.
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

well, lets get a coach that knows at least something about implementing a system of play, defensive specifically, and go from there.

Not going to help much if we don't get him an appropriate partner.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah he's a good add on a playoff team if he plays like he did in the playoffs.

I think he'll bring something decent back next year as well.  He'll look better under a better systems coach as well

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:
Tyler Myers
image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.canucksa

After another string of disastrous performances, the subject of getting rid of Myers sooner rather than later has been raised once again. If that’s going to happen, however, it’s going to have to happen via a trade, because Myers’ contract is effectively buyout-proof.
Because of that $5 million signing bonus still to be paid, if the Canucks were to buy out Myers’ contract this summer, they would still be hit with a $5.33 million hit for the 2023/24 season. That’s a savings of just $667K, followed up by a $333K penalty the following year. There’s just no scenario in which that’s worthwhile, especially when burying Myers in the minors would literally result in more cap space and no penalty.
Even trading Myers with a full 50% retention leaves the Canucks with far more cap flexibility than a buyout. This one ain’t happening.

No one is taking Myers at 50% even. That’s what some people can’t seem to understand.

He’d be a depth guy to any contender. There are much better options that won’t cost 3 mil.

We’re talking about like a 300k difference of waiving him vs buying him out. Out of respect to the player they would just buy him out so he can sign with another team.

I’d rather free up the roster spot and not force the next coach to have to keep playing him because he’s there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No one is taking Myers at 50% even. That’s what some people can’t seem to understand.

He’d be a depth guy to any contender. There are much better options that won’t cost 3 mil.

We’re talking about like a 300k difference of waiving him vs buying him out. Out of respect to the player they would just buy him out so he can sign with another team.

I’d rather free up the roster spot and not force the next coach to have to keep playing him because he’s there.

I get it, but how do you convince the owner to buy him out for $667k cap savings? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think he'll bring something decent back next year as well.  He'll look better under a better systems coach as well

Agreed. I get frustrated by him too, and would rather see him scratched a few games vs selling low or creating dead cap in a buyout 

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Agreed. I get frustrated by him too, and would rather see him scratched a few games vs selling low or creating dead cap in a buyout 

It’s dead cap with him on the roster.

I’d rather not have our young D look to him as a leader on the back end. He’s every example of how not to play D.

• Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Once his signing bonus is paid it won’t matter as he’ll only be owed like 700k in actual money from a buyout.

And then replace him (Myers) with a cheap guy from Abby?  Woo?  Saves us 4.5 on the cap, right?  

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Once his signing bonus is paid it won’t matter as he’ll only be owed like 700k in actual money from a buyout.

Yes, but we’ll still have a $5.3M cap hit. So the owners pay $5.7M to save $667k cap space. Doesn’t add up

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That buyout actually costs us cap as we have to replace his roster spot.  Even a minimum wage guy means we end up spending more.  Myers isn't a top 4D.... but he is better than getting rid of for a negative cap hit.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

I feel like the majority now sees what is minority were talking about last year. This team isn't good enough to be taking on ageing long term contracts, and Miller attitude doesn't help build a new culture that we desperately need 

There's at least a few of us who were arguing most of the summer, and leading up to last season's draft even, that Miller should have traded 

Same group were largely arguing that Horvat was the more important player to this team going forward 

Being right doesn't make me feel any better about how things have gone though

6 hours ago, Provost said:

He probably does better in a more veteran team where there are players to tell him to shut up and play and he doesn’t have to try to be “the guy”.

A team like LA, Pittsburgh, Carolina, etc have a solid leadership core already that don’t particularly need him to be in that role.

Wr don’t have to hit a complete home run in a trade.  If we can get a solid return and cap space in the offseason, we can turn that space into more assets.

With the cap likely going up less than expected, it is another year of there being really good NHLers available for next to nothing in trade.  The cap will almost certainly be going up substantially the year after so those deals won’t be available going forward and players will be more expensive to sign.

I still think Pittsburgh makes a lot of sense imo 

I'd still do this deal

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, Miller for Lafreniere and Schneider?

The Miller to the Rangers ship sailed as soon as they went out and signed Trocheck 

Plus, if anything Miller's worth less than he was during his career season, his value was at an all-time high and we whiffed 

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

or just ride it out until closer to the tdl in 2024, then they'd actually get something for him, rather than having to give something to get rid of him

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1