The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Moving Podkolzin?

Moving a top young forward like Podkolzin when we have virtually no prospect pool and have moved countless top draft picks over the past few years might seem a little stupid, but would it also potentially be wise? Podkolzin is 21 and hasn’t really found his game at the NHL level yet. I think a lot of us went into this season expecting Podz to whip out 60 points and go nuts. Instead he’s spent half the season in the AHL. Again, he’s only 21 and I am not worried about his future. With that said, I also genuinely feel this team can compete right now if we make some fixes to the defense and get a confident and healthy Demko back. Our offense has been inconsistent yet successful. We are in the top half of the league in scoring and our PP sits in the top 10. Podkolzin is a top notch trade chip that could potentially help bring in a top 4 dman that could really help us a lot. I don’t have an official proposal but I think a guy most of us really want to take a run at is Brandon Carlo. He’s on a long term deal, is literally the absolute perfect type of parter for Hughes, and his deal is affordable. Boston wouldn’t just give him away of course but some sort of deal around Carlo and Podkolzin could be a good match and really help us. If we find a way to cap dump Myers and keep Schenn beyond this season, a right side of Carlo, Schenn, and Bear makes us instantly better than we are now on defense. I don’t think it’s perfect but I believe moving Podkolzin in the right move could drastically improve this team.

If you’re worried about the future of our offense, we still have Hoglander and Klimovich who could both potentially break out and if McDonough signs this summer I think he could instantly become a top prospect. Podkolzin would be a tough loss but I think we do have a few good pieces and it could really open the door for us with the right trade. 

Thoughts? 

The catch really is whether or not you think this team can compete now. If so, then maybe there's some merit. I personally am unsure--if we look to rebuild and be competitive again in 5 years, that might align perfectly with Podkolzin's prime years.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The catch really is whether or not you think this team can compete now. If so, then maybe there's some merit. I personally am unsure--if we look to rebuild and be competitive again in 5 years, that might align perfectly with Podkolzin's prime years.

For me I personally believe if we find a way to keep Horvat and Kuzmenko and get this team up mentally, it really comes down to 2-3 defensive moves to at least makes us a good competitive team. I do think some depth moves have to be made such as adding some solid penalty killers too but I think talent wise we’re closer to competing than rebuilding. 

I don't think we should make any win now moves. 

Podz potential at this point is a middle 6 forward who plays the game well at both ends. We need those guys as we seem to have high end skill scorers like EP, Kuz, Horvat, and Miller but also Garland, Boeser, and Mikheyev. Some of these guys, notably Horvat will be gone but we will likely add a scoring forward in this draft and it still stands that we have enough in the skill department. Podz is the type of glue player that we need to round out the roster.

I also think there is merit to keeping your drafted players together. Bieksa mentioned this: they were competing against each other and pushed each other to be better. We've got a stable of young forwards now playing in the AHL, Hogs, Podz, Karlsson, Aman, Klim, Lockwood (with the NHL team for now), and Lekkerimaki will probably come over and whoever we draft in 2023 with a top 10 pick. 

I'd like us to infuse these guys at the right time in the right situations.

I don't think trading away any of our young players brings in what we want. We need cap and we need good players. To trade them away just makes matters worse. IMO, we need to look to the future , as the older core, just has not done it.

IMO, Pettersson and Hughes, are young enough to still be contributors when we have righted this ship. IMO, we are 5 years away, "IF" we started today...........which puts puts Pettersson at 29 and Hughes at 28, years of age...............That means trading away Miller, Horvat, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev, and Demko, and taking a asset laden return on all of them, which in fact condenses the new core into a small age group..........

Conversely, you trade youth and picks to move contracts and fill in your roster with proper vets......aka a couple of RHD and a 3rd line center, keeping all aging veterans and rebuild in 5 years.............

Your call! Which one does Aqualini choose?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

Never want to see young players traded for old veterans like years ago...

1. Cam Neely 22 -- ( Barry Pederson - Awful trade Pederson 26 at time never did much.

2. Rick Vaive - Bill Derlago--  ((  Tiger Williams and Butler -- OMG Vaive was 50 G guy Derlago #2 C

We have to be realistic Vancouver can't trade all there talented forwards..

1.Petey 24 - Lock up 8 yrs X 9.2 Million after July 1st

2. Horvát  or Miller ? I would keep Horvat 27 - 7 yrs X 8 million AAV

3. Kuzmenko 26 - 1 yrs surprise never thought he would score like this GP 39--PTS 35 Show me more only 1 season look at KHL previous?  Will demand over 4.5 million? 5 yrs X 5.2 million AAV -- playing with Petey he likes? Likes teammates will sign?

4. Boeser or Garland 4.9 million -- I would try and move Boeser 6.8 million X 2 yrs remain - retain 1 million

5. Myers - easy to move after 5 million dollar bonus is paid out July 1st.. Only 1 million remaining on X 1 yr -- So 6 million back on cap

6. Sign Bear  - 25 -RD - 3yrs X 3.4 million show me more - ---currently making 2.2 million- Hurricanes retain some

7. Dermott - Sign 1 yrs X 2 million show me more??

8. Schenn 33 -- Trade if you have 2nd rounder offered at trade deadline ? Try and resign in summer 2 yrs X 1.2 million

9. Burroughs 27-- Try and resign

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Moving a top young forward like Podkolzin when we have virtually no prospect pool and have moved countless top draft picks over the past few years might seem a little stupid, but would it also potentially be wise? Podkolzin is 21 and hasn’t really found his game at the NHL level yet. I think a lot of us went into this season expecting Podz to whip out 60 points and go nuts. Instead he’s spent half the season in the AHL. Again, he’s only 21 and I am not worried about his future. With that said, I also genuinely feel this team can compete right now if we make some fixes to the defense and get a confident and healthy Demko back. Our offense has been inconsistent yet successful. We are in the top half of the league in scoring and our PP sits in the top 10. Podkolzin is a top notch trade chip that could potentially help bring in a top 4 dman that could really help us a lot. I don’t have an official proposal but I think a guy most of us really want to take a run at is Brandon Carlo. He’s on a long term deal, is literally the absolute perfect type of parter for Hughes, and his deal is affordable. Boston wouldn’t just give him away of course but some sort of deal around Carlo and Podkolzin could be a good match and really help us. If we find a way to cap dump Myers and keep Schenn beyond this season, a right side of Carlo, Schenn, and Bear makes us instantly better than we are now on defense. I don’t think it’s perfect but I believe moving Podkolzin in the right move could drastically improve this team.

If you’re worried about the future of our offense, we still have Hoglander and Klimovich who could both potentially break out and if McDonough signs this summer I think he could instantly become a top prospect. Podkolzin would be a tough loss but I think we do have a few good pieces and it could really open the door for us with the right trade. 

Thoughts? 

We shouldn't and won't move players like Podkolzin unless we're bringing back a young RD with solid top 4 potential.

Podkolzin is still REALLY young and is finding his game. He's shown flashes of the player I believe he will become, but he needs to be more consistent and better defensively. Him spending time in Abbotsford is a REALLY good thing right now! He'll be a much better overall player when he comes back later this year (after the trade deadline) or next season. Don't be too concerned about his point totals in the AHL right now, they are focusing on fixing deficiencies in his game and making him a whole player. No one questions his ability to create offense, but it can't be at the expense of defense.

Myers will be moved this summer after his 5 million bonus is paid. He is with the team until then. I don't believe the Canucks are willing to retain with him when they believe that a team that has not interest being above the cap floor right now (Arizona), would probably be interested in the idea that next season he will eat up 6 million in cap space while only costing them 1 million in actual dollars. Arizona has not interest in being more than a cap floor team until at least 2026, when they're new building is ready (Assuming they get through the public referendum this spring)

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Never want to see young players traded for old veterans like years ago...

1. Cam Neely 22 -- ( Barry Pederson - Awful trade Pederson 26 at time never did much.

2. Rick Vaive - Bill Derlago--  ((  Tiger Williams and Butler -- OMG Vaive was 50 G guy Derlago #2 C

We have to be realistic Vancouver can't trade all there talented forwards..

1.Petey 24 - Lock up 8 yrs X 9.2 Million after July 1st

2. Horvát  or Miller ? I would keep Horvat 27 - 7 yrs X 8 million AAV

3. Kuzmenko 26 - 1 yrs surprise never thought he would score like this GP 39--PTS 35 Show me more only 1 season look at KHL previous?  Will demand over 4.5 million? 5 yrs X 5.2 million AAV -- playing with Petey he likes? Likes teammates will sign?

4. Boeser or Garland 4.9 million -- I would try and move Boeser 6.8 million X 2 yrs remain - retain 1 million

5. Myers - easy to move after 5 million dollar bonus is paid out July 1st.. Only 1 million remaining on X 1 yr -- So 6 million back on cap

6. Sign Bear  - 25 -RD - 3yrs X 3.4 million show me more - ---currently making 2.2 million- Hurricanes retain some

7. Dermott - Sign 1 yrs X 2 million show me more??

8. Schenn 33 -- Trade if you have 2nd rounder offered at trade deadline ? Try and resign in summer 2 yrs X 1.2 million

9. Burroughs 27-- Try and resign

You got a one man army in Tiger. He fought anything and anyone. But yeah, Vaive was a headscratcher. Couldn't we have moved someone else for Tiger? 

• Like 1

I don't think Podz, as he is, is getting you a top 4D. Certainly not Carlo. 

Top 4RD are always in demand and Carlo plays an important defensive role in Boston and is locked in for another four years at a very palatable 4.1M, it'd be dumb of them to move him. 

We're better off being patient with him and Hoglander imo, the Canucks are a mess and neither player is so old or talented that they can't benefit from stewing in the AHL for a bit. If anything getting larger offensive roles, special teams time, more minutes, and just playing on a team that's actually competitive is probably better for their development than being yoyo'd around on the Canucks or sat in the press box. 

He's a 10OA pick, top 10 picks don't all jump in right away and become stars, at 21 he's got lots of time to develop.

Edited by Coconuts

24 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Only trade I could see worthwhile would be one for a 20 year old defensive prospect on a team who wants a big strong scorer up front, there's got to be some out there.

If Kuzmenko leaves it changes things too...

I wonder if Mik might be traded in order to keep Kuz. Kuz seems to be just as defensively responsible if not more so. 

Kuz and Podz on a line?