The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

It's rich that he makes comments about the cap, when he re-signed Miller and used up cap space on overpaying Mikheyev.

We're seeing the regression in Miller that was expected.

I remember people saying that Mikheyev was an elite penalty killer. Canucks PK dead last in the league.

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

This is what happens when you operate a team based on feelings and not objective analysis. 

There are some good pieces here for sure, but how could JR and CO misevaluate the team this bad is quite alarming. They are paid handsomely to make a few influential decisions every year and so far they have shit the bed and added to the already difficult cap situation that already existed.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Man, we're so f@$#ed. 

perhaps.

but our owner insists on this direction, so we can be hopeful that our courtesy core five, if supported by a group as strong as Gillis provided the core five back in 2010-2012 that we might get a good three years down the road.  

One thing I did like in the presser is how JR didn't shy away from or run from Hughes's comments about Pearson. He actually leaned into them in the same way he did with the Miller situation.

He's not afraid to go against the grain if he feels it's from the right source. I do like that edge to JR. I want to see him bring that to team building. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

It's rich that he makes comments about the cap, when he re-signed Miller and used up cap space on overpaying Mikheyev.

We're seeing the regression in Miller that was expected.

I remember people saying that Mikheyev was an elite penalty killer. Canucks PK dead last in the league.

Maybe extending Miller was a directive from ownership?  JR did say we aren’t rebuilding and his job was to build a better support group around the core.  Too bad a reporter didn’t ask JR who the core players were.  I’m thinking, though, that our owner believes Miller is one of that core and insisted he was re-signed. IMHAO Bo is thought of that way by our owner too, so he will be extended too. 

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I appreciate JR being humbled and admitting he hasn't done a good job so far. It has to be terribly difficult to make trades these days where both teams come out with what they want. It's easy to say "trade Myers". To who? What GM is licking his chops give up assets to pay Myers $6 million? This whole thing is going to take TIME and patience, lots of it. There is a huge mess to sort out and unfortunately, some contracts have to expire, some have to be bought out, and some trades will happen.

I'm glad that JR realizes the Canucks aren't a playoff team and it sounds like Horvat wants too much money, so he'll be traded. I actually have a glimmer of hope. Maybe they're finally preparing to get off the hamster wheel. 

Thank you! This guy has 3 Stanley Cup rings as a GM and he’s in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Maybe he knows what he’s doing? He’s only been on the job for a year or so and quick fixes are what got us into this terrible mess. Gonna have to endure some pain unfortunately 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GB5 said:

I generally like Dhaliwal but am sick and tired of him making excuses for management's lack of substantial action because "they are trying" or "they can't because of the bad contracts".

I call BS to Rick's line of thought, these guys are hired to find solutions to these problems, if they can't do it then find someone who will.

So after 1 year the President GM are suppose to fix things...How many years did Benning have? As hard as it is to hear or read this team was not going to be fixed in 1 year...

Way too soon to judge new management, early on it doesn't look great but they are trading the team captain at the TDL... that is a major change to the team. New leader will emerge and some other quality players may be traded oh and another overhaul of the coaching staff is going to occur.

Part of what I don't like about what Rutherford said today was the whole retool thing was hard for most to hear because that is what old management did their entire time here. So to hear that again is tough for most Canuck fans to hear. Or not having to change the core statement... its fixing the roster outside of the core. I take that as having the 13m plus tied up in 2 D like OEL and Myers but we are stuck with them and buyouts for them are not worth the cap hit pain.

I am hoping we are in a situation like Colorado was when they trade O' Reilly and Duchene in their (retool/rebuild). So if JR is looking at doing that sort of retool by moving Horvat and JT for some good assets maybe add Kuzmenko and Schenn as 2 other roster players they could get a nice return this TDL. Keep EP, Hughes, Demko as the young core they keep while having Podkolzin and Hoglander with upside. Then hope for some draft and trade luck... I don't think we get as lucky as Colorado did with the trades but cap flexibility is key for us to try and do this ReTool JR talked about. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

One thing I did like in the presser is how JR didn't say away from or run from Hughes comments about Pearson. He actually leaned into them in the same way he did with the Miller situation.

He's not afraid to go against the grain if he feels it's from the right source. I do like that edge to JR. I want to see him bring that to team building. 

I’d like to see JT stand up to our owner.  But I accept that will not happen.  

Rutherford: "All the core players aren’t going to end up being here. We haven’t had the opportunity to take those steps because we’re stuck with contracts we can’t move. Until we do, or until they expire, it’s going to be hard to make those changes." #Canucks

Stuck with contracts like Brock, Miller, Mikheyev.

If they hadn't signed just one of these deals they would have the flexibility they need. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Neutral said:

So after 1 year the President GM are suppose to fix things...How many years did Benning have? As hard as it is to hear or read this team was not going to be fixed in 1 year...

Way too soon to judge new management, early on it doesn't look great but they are trading the team captain at the TDL... that is a major change to the team. New leader will emerge and some other quality players may be traded oh and another overhaul of the coaching staff is going to occur.

Part of what I don't like about what Rutherford said today was the whole retool thing was hard for most to hear because that is what old management did their entire time here. So to hear that again is tough for most Canuck fans to hear. Or not having to change the core statement... its fixing the roster outside of the core. I take that as having the 13m plus tied up in 2 D like OEL and Myers but we are stuck with them and buyouts for them are not worth the cap hit pain.

I am hoping we are in a situation like Colorado was when they trade O' Reilly and Duchene in their (retool/rebuild). So if JR is looking at doing that sort of retool by moving Horvat and JT for some good assets maybe add Kuzmenko and Schenn as 2 other roster players they could get a nice return this TDL. Keep EP, Hughes, Demko as the young core they keep while having Podkolzin and Hoglander with upside. Then hope for some draft and trade luck... I don't think we get as lucky as Colorado did with the trades but cap flexibility is key for us to try and do this ReTool JR talked about. 

Did JR say who our core was?  Did he say it’s 3 players or 5 or 7?

Also sounds like those Tocchet rumours are true. Coaching bump :towel:

Rutherford is all talk so far.

Big changes coming in the off-season. Nothing

Big changes coming if we keep losing. Nothing

Now again, big changes are coming. We will see when the time comes…

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Rutherford: "All the core players aren’t going to end up being here. We haven’t had the opportunity to take those steps because we’re stuck with contracts we can’t move. Until we do, or until they expire, it’s going to be hard to make those changes." #Canucks

Stuck with contracts like Brock, Miller, Mikheyev.

If they hadn't signed just one of these deals they would have the flexibility they need. 

Didn’t JR say the core was good but the supporting cast needed fixing and contracts make that harder to do quickly so it will take time for the contracts to expire?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe extending Miller was a directive from ownership?  JR did say we aren’t rebuilding and his job was to build a better support group around the core.  Too bad a reporter didn’t ask JR who the core players were.  I’m thinking, though, that our owner believes Miller is one of that core and insisted he was re-signed. IMHAO Bo is thought of that way by our owner too, so he will be extended too. 

It certainly feels that way.

It seems that since the 2011 run, ownership has been pushing every management group in the wrong direction.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, InTheCrease said:

I actually had a visual of this and thought of Terry Tate

:lol::P::D

I haven't see that.  Hilarious!  

I don't think Miller is quite that wound. :lol:  But there is a grain of truth in that. You need a mix of players.  Its good to have a veteran or veterans signed on that a younger player feels a little uncomfortable being around if he doesn't show he's taking the game seriously enough. This team just hasn't had a "toxic" player like Miller for a long time. The passive style of leadership in the past is what has been one of the problems IMO.  I think JR knew that we needed a personality like this, more than a personality like Bo's, even if he still wanted to sign Bo too.

• Cheers 2