The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

There's no point dissecting what he's saying. Best to just wait for some actions to analyze. 

"We need Major Surgery." (very poor choice of words) and "We are looking to retool" doesn't mix. We're literally frankenstein. Trying to patch together a fix on the fly over a rotting corpse.

So we'll see what he means by the futures he acquires in the trades, if any.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t know anymore than I do what players they can trade or can’t, you’re not in the room. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if a team was willing to trade for Boeser, Garland, or Myers on the cheap.

Saying I’m living in a dream world when you’re fantasizing about perfect rebuilds that rarely happen is funny. The pieces are here whether you can see them or not. We need to build not throw away the best young talent this team has had in its history. That’s insanity.

Petey will get around 3-4 million more on his next deal and Hughes probably around 2-3 million more. The cap is going way up. Why do you think we’ll have no cap space? Check again.

The smartest thing this team can do is keep building and shedding bad contracts until Petey and Hughes are in their prime.

There are three players on the team now who should be untouchable, never should be traded and who are the real core.

Those are Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.  (assuming Demko recovers to form)

Then there are those who are very important, and who management should try to keep.

Those are Miller and Horvat.  Sign if possible at a fair value, if not, trade.

And then there are the complementary players who are young and still developing.

Those are Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Bear and one of either Martin or Delia.  These preferably should be signed but can be traded depending on what is best.

The rest of the team should be on the trade block.... especially Boeser... who really doesn't fit anymore but who should have value.

And some should be buy out candidates if they can't be traded... Myers being the first choice for this.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Most recently the past 3 years draft picks been a bust, not many great players came from draft picks recently so a lot of GMS are weary of them. We definitely need younger players not draftpicks, we can use our own draftpicks as carrots - old school thinking is valuing draft picks modern NHL GM's value proven players. 

Top 15-20 picks, hold onto them.  The rest are probably more valuable as trade chips.......the rub is making sure they are used well.

Too many people obssess over "youth", when it's really veteran teams who will n championships.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t know anymore than I do what players they can trade or can’t, you’re not in the room. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if a team was willing to trade for Boeser, Garland, or Myers on the cheap.

Saying I’m living in a dream world when you’re fantasizing about perfect rebuilds that rarely happen is funny. The pieces are here whether you can see them or not. We need to build not throw away the best young talent this team has had in its history. That’s insanity.

Petey will get around 3-4 million more on his next deal and Hughes probably around 2-3 million more. The cap is going way up. Why do you think we’ll have no cap space? Check again.

The smartest thing this team can do is keep building and shedding bad contracts until Petey and Hughes are in their prime.

Exactly.

Whether it was a rebuild or retool that people seem to ignore happened already. The Canucks have Petey, Hughes, Demko. All the young extremely talented pieces a team needs to build around. And arguably the best or primed to be at each position in the team's history. 

You don't buy out OEL he is going to stay unless he wants to leave. He is an NHL dman and could produce close to 40 points this season.

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

There are three players on the team now who should be untouchable, never should be traded and who are the real core.

Then there are those who are very important, and who management should try to keep.

And then there are the complementary players who are young and still developing.

Those are Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Bear and either Martin or Delia.  These preferably should be signed but can be traded depending on what is best.

The rest of the team should be on the trade block.... especially Boeser... who really doesn't fit anymore but who should have value.

I don't see Hughes as untouchable, quite the opposite.  He'd bring in a massive return that could change the course of this franchise for a long time.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Those are Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Bear and either Martin or Delia.  These preferably should be signed but can be traded depending on what is best.

I agree.

There are solid bones there, just need some meat.

Management is tasked with clearing cap and building up our depth. That’s what I’ll judge them on.

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

A rebuild to be me will be trading EP and QH.  

Pettersson is 4 years behind Bo, and Hughes is 5 years behind Bo

IMO Horvat decided last year to wait out his chance at FA

so that means 3 and 4 years

what can the retool do in 3 years to make Petey want to stay?

We get a first rounder this draft, but no second, (thanks P A)

Basically we need to draft Crosby (Bedard) Malkin and Letang in the next 2 drafts for Pettersson to see any reason to stay

I didn't like it when Ol Jimmer said retool, but at least he was retooling a team that went to the finals

the Bruins retooled and now have the best team in the league still with Marchand, Krejci  and Bergeron

they retooled Lucic, Seguin and Hamilton and most of the rest of their D, mostly for 1st and 2nd round picks

Now we suck, what is to retool?

we have sucked for a decade, there is no one left from the glory days

How do you retool a team that has not even been good?

I don't see how you retool a team with no history of winning

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

It shouldn’t be JTM bashing, it should be bashing of the contract. It’s just not one we needed to take on given where we were, but far too many people relying on hope instead of looking deeper into reality 

We still need good veteran players on this team, no matter the plan to "get younger".  The cap will go up eventually. Signing JT was opportunist when the two sides actually came to a number they both could agree on.  Most hockey minds were of the opinion that the signing was reasonable.  If we'd traded him, do you think JT would have accepted less than that playing out the rest of his career for another team?  Buyouts are standard for most long contracts. Its part of doing business.

Not only am I not concerned with the Miller contract, but here's a mind #$%@ for you....I'm stoked that he's a Canuck!

Sure he's high risk, high reward, but he's a player that can change a game in an instant. I'm hopeful he will work on his anger optics, and backcheck effort, but we've signed such crap here in the last 9 years.  Even if you add two of those Benning specials salaries together to equal Miller's cap, JT's worth still outshines that combined production. Call me crazy but I celebrate when one of the better players in the league wants to stay and help my team win. 

Only in Vancouver.  Fans will drive JT out of town, goaded on by harpies like Drance, even before his new contract kicks in.  No wonder players are leary to sign here.

• Cheers 1

The thing that stood out for me was that JR was unhappy with his own performance.  That in itself is a somewhat good sign that he's at least willing to take part of the blame instead of throwing other people under the bus unnecessarily.  I still think that we should give him a bit more time to see what he can do before we throw him under the bus.  There's a lot of blame to go around, but we have to get off the blame game and just get back to competing hard.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe Miller is the buyout they are planning to do?!

Why couldn't they move Miller with some CAP retention?

You like that Demko isn't being rushed back and I agree. The other is that they sent Podz-Hogs-Aman-Rathbone to Abby and resisted the standard Canuck move of bringing Klim and Karlsson up to Vancouver. It indicates to me that they actually do have a plan. I expect bigger moves than Rutherford indicated. Canuck fans and media will be clucking no matter what. Meanwhile Rutherford and Allvin can continue to work on deals. Other NHL teams are likely circling Vancouver hoping for a steal. Better that they are as confused as the fans as to management intent. I like it. 

As Rutherford filled out his management team everyone (fans & media) hooted with delight. Are all those hires mindless fools? Is Rutherford and Allvin no minds? My only concern with JR is that he moves to fast. He has taken over a year to get his ducks in a row. Yes, he resigned Miller and Boeser, two players I wanted traded last spring. If there was no market then resigning them for a future deal made sense. The Canuck prospect pool is not empty. Abby, Europe, CHA and collegiate all have Canucks prospects developing. How many holes will be created by the TDL and what prospects and picks come back. 

I thought Rutherford was as forthright as he could be without jeopardizing possible trade moves. He seems to have a clear idea of what is needed. As far as Boudreau goes I would be shocked if frank discussions had not taken place between JR & BB. Boudreau is a vet and knows that there has to be changes from what is happening on the ice. Perhaps JR gave him a choice of staying or going and he decided to stay. There are no shortage of short term coaching options to replace Boudreau if they wanted to.   

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

Pettersson is 4 years behind Bo, and Hughes is 5 years behind Bo

IMO Horvat decided last year to wait out his chance at FA

so that means 3 and 4 years

what can the retool do in 3 years to make Petey want to stay?

We get a first rounder this draft, but no second, (thanks P A)

Basically we need to draft Crosby (Bedard) Malkin and Letang in the next 2 drafts for Pettersson to see any reason to stay

I didn't like it when Ol Jimmer said retool, but at least he was retooling a team that went to the finals

the Bruins retooled and now have the best team in the league still with Marchand, Krejci  and Bergeron

they retooled Lucic, Seguin and Hamilton and most of the rest of their D, mostly for 1st and 2nd round picks

Now we suck, what is to retool?

we have sucked for a decade, there is no one left from the glory days

How do you retool a team that has not even been good?

I don't see how you retool a team with no history of winning

Not just that, we burned up all of our back pocket value in trading away picks and not replenishing the pipeline.

fans need to realize, we don’t have much for assets, and if we are to make changes there will come cost of exchanging young players for better fits or to accumulate capital. It has to come

from somewhere. I’d imagine Hughes will be dangled by the draft. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Words don't matter. We want to see his actions.  

I stand with my earlier comments on JR.  I'm still patient and want to see what he does next off season. 

I commend your patience, but in my opinion it’s what he does (or does not do) this trade deadline that will determine a lot about their ability to steer this ship.  

• Huggy Bear 1

Guess I'll just go down the list and respond.

We know Pearson was bungled, how it was bungled will probably be leaked eventually. Not surprised they can't comment on it.

Glad they're not rushing Demko back, he didn't look quite like himself to begin with and his long-term health is more important going forward than his rushing back to play this season.

We're disappointed in what you've accomplished too Jim.

Not the core players, but other players on the team? Sounds like more of the same, tinkering around the edges. Doesn't exactly line up with the major surgery bit though, the veteran part of this core should be ejected. 

Of course he's gonna say ownership isn't meddling, not sure I buy that but it is what it is.

Yup, we've got some contracts that are tough to move and we'll have to ride it out. Buyouts are one option, hopefully paying teams to take on more contracts isn't. 

We'll see what the cap actually ends up being going forward.

Of course we're taking a step back, this team isn't as far along as you initially thought. It's a shame that wasn't realized last season before the trade deadline or before they went and gave Miller his retirement deal. 

Bo gone, I really wanted him signed during the summer, argued he was the more important piece but they lowballed him and he's gone on to have a great season offensively. Woulda coulda shoulda. 

Hopefully they ride it out with Bruce, a coaching change shouldn't be in the works sooner than later. It won't accomplish anything and there really shouldn't be any rush, wait til there's a larger pool of potential coaches.

Retool, rebuild, it's probably a rebuild. You can look for young players all you'd like but you'll have to take what the market is willing to pay. Horvat could probably get you a young NHL player or two, not sure our other trade bait will. 

Kuzmenko will still be traded imo, guess we'll see. They were always going to talk to his camp but that doesn't mean there will be an extension. 

Of course you're not gonna tell the coach or players to stop JR, we know what a tank is. It's up to you to make the team weaker this season. 

Nice to hear you say, yeah, we absolutely want Bedard.

Buyouts are interesting, I'm curious as to who they're considering. Probably more a Myers or Pearson than an OEL. Maybe Poolman.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Im not sure I agree with a buyout for OEL

With a buyout, we still get a pretty massive cap hit from 2024-2027 (the duration of his contract anyway) and then we get FOUR more years of 2.2m cap hit after that.

the problem is if we buy him out, we have to replace him. Even if we accept hes playing to a 4m a year level right now, and we replace him with a 4m guy, if you include his cap hit + the new guys cap hit until 2027, we're paying OELs full salary anyway... and now we get punished with him being on the books for 4 additional years.

Let him run his contract out. 

exactly...demote him to the bottom pairing strip him of the A .....and maybe just maybe...he can turn it around like EK in San Jose....

I find it very interesting that he all but admitted that we are tanking this season (whether we like to or not) and that we want the first overall pick.

The fact that they are not rushing Demko is a good sign. They are tanking and there's no need for Demko to rush back only to injure himself again playing behind this horrendous defensive team.

Sounds like Horvat is gone. I bet they made a decent offer by now, probably 7-8 mil but Horvat likely said no.

Well you can't keep everyone happy all the time. 

We do need to trade players and bringing back Kuz would be sweet,but getting a 1st and younger player might help more.

There and no good answers yet but we all know something has to happen and sooner then later would be best.