The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Kuzy said:

I haven't actually dove into capfriendly to see exactly how much we'd save. I've read here that it would be a decent chunk of savings but the buyout would exceed his actual contract. We're really screwed either way. Hopefully we can take advantage of another team, or OEL gets sent to Robidas Island?

Really the only option that makes any sense is just riding out the deal until it's over or OEL retires. Firing Yeo and replacing him with someone who doesn't set up the D to fail would help as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuzy said:

I haven't actually dove into capfriendly to see exactly how much we'd save. I've read here that it would be a decent chunk of savings but the buyout would exceed his actual contract. We're really screwed either way. Hopefully we can take advantage of another team, or OEL gets sent to Robidas Island?

he has a full NMC till the end of his contract u ain't sending him anywhere to rot.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Really the only option that makes any sense is just riding out the deal until it's over or OEL retires. Firing Yeo and replacing him with someone who doesn't set up the D to fail would help as well.

Assuming OEL keeps declining, what do we do when he's no longer NHL caliber? Hard to be anywhere near competitive when you have massive anchors on your payroll, giving me major Eriksson vibes. Looking like we'll be a bottom of the standings "retooling" team as long as OEL/Rutherford are around.

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

JR has spoken. Like it or not. Tanknation is not happening.

Re-tool.

Top prospect if we can’t sign Bo

BB staying for now

Core staying; QH, Petey, Miller

Lots of other changes coming. 

No one is going to say they will tank.  He's right that they are near the bottom already, which is obvious. 

He fact he said it needs major surgery and not minor, when he first arrived, basically says big change is coming.  Whether you call that retool or rebuild, doesn't matter as much as what changes they make. 

• Cheers 4

Just now, Jaimito said:

No one is going to say they will tank.  He's right that they are near the bottom already, which is obvious. 

He fact he said it needs major surgery and not minor, when he first arrived, basically says big change is coming.  Whether you call that retool or rebuild, doesn't matter as much as what changes they make. 

That's the part I'm hopeful for, he admits there are major changes that need to be made. Need to look beyond just accruing high draft picks and instead perhaps a combination of picks, prospects, and roster players to balance out the depth chart.

1 minute ago, Kuzy said:

Assuming OEL keeps declining, what do we do when he's no longer NHL caliber? Hard to be anywhere near competitive when you have massive anchors on your payroll, giving me major Eriksson vibes. Looking like we'll be a bottom of the standings "retooling" team as long as OEL/Rutherford are around.

Waivers.  

8 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

I generally agree. Neither are ideal options. Really comes down to $ saved versus value of potential replacement. If only we had a stocked prospect cupboard to pull cheap promising D from....

Im a believer that OEL will be much better with a stay at home partner, and if he's not tasked with playing shutdown minutes. He's a miscast offensive defenseman

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

then why not make ALL your trades for 1st rd picks plus mediocre players. Collect 2-4 high picks, then at the draft try to pull off a Burke and package multiple picks/players to get the pick you want. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Im a believer that OEL will be much better with a stay at home partner, and if he's not tasked with playing shutdown minutes. He's a miscast offensive defenseman

I'd like to see him and Schenn on a pairing before Schenn gets traded. He's never really been paired with a stay at home rugged D. Myers ain't it.