The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pacioretty's future in question?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

This is my own speculation, let's get that out of the way. 

But Patches is 34 as of last November and this is his second time tearing his Achilles in under a year. That's a hard injury for any player to recover from and Patches ain't young anymore, let alone twice in such a short period of time. Could this be it? His deal is up at the end of the season.

Maybe this opens up a door for a Horvat trade?

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2552720/pacioretty-tears-achilles-for-2nd-time-in-5-months

Edited by Coconuts
  • Sad 2
  • There it is 1

• Coconuts changed the title to Pacioretty's future in question?

I had just posted this in the Horvat trade thread as well.  Carolina is directly in contention right now, so suddenly having clarity on an extra $7 million in cap space the rest of the season could change their tune fast on a Horvat trade.

If our management got off the fetish for getting an already producing young NHLer in return and stop asking for Necas, we could make a really solid deal involving futures.  Carolina also has $30 million in cap space in the offseason without a lot of holes to fill so they could afford a Horvat extension without any issues at all.  They don't score a ton of goals, so adding in some of our offence seems like it would be a great fit.  Staal probably signs for a low ticket deal if he thinks they will be contenders again next year.

Horvat (50% retained this year)
Boeser or Garland

for
Morrow
Nikishin
2024 1st

We get great futures on D who are close to NHL ready, and importantly a crap ton of cap space in the offseason to take on contracts like the Marino/Bjorkstrand ones which will inevitably be available.  We could also play in the market where good young RFAs aren't qualified due to cap crunches.  We get a couple of those young players that didn't work out on their ELCs like JR has talked about without even having to trade for them.

Carolina gets some extra pop in their offence without deducting one of their best offensive performers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

I had just posted this in the Horvat trade thread as well.  Carolina is directly in contention right now, so suddenly having clarity on an extra $7 million in cap space the rest of the season could change their tune fast on a Horvat trade.

If our management got off the fetish for getting an already producing young NHLer in return and stop asking for Necas, we could make a really solid deal involving futures.  Carolina also has $30 million in cap space in the offseason without a lot of holes to fill so they could afford a Horvat extension without any issues at all.  They don't score a ton of goals, so adding in some of our offence seems like it would be a great fit.  Staal probably signs for a low ticket deal if he thinks they will be contenders again next year.

Boeser or Garland

for
Morrow
Nikishin
2024 1st

We get great futures on D who are close to NHL ready, and importantly a crap ton of cap space in the offseason to take on contracts like the Marino/Bjorkstrand ones which will inevitably be available.  We could also play in the market where good young RFAs aren't qualified due to cap crunches.  We get a couple of those young players that didn't work out on their ELCs like JR has talked about without even having to trade for them.

Carolina gets some extra pop in their offence without deducting one of their best offensive performers.

I'm not sure they'd take both Horvat and Boeser but I could see them taking Horvat and slotting him into their mostly vacant 2C spot. Pacioretty's 7M opening up at the end of the season mostly pays Horvat too. 

We're not getting Necas, as a team with contention aspirations they're not going to trade out their leading scorer, they're just not. But they do have plenty of prospects who'd look really nice on either our team or in our system. 

I think Staal likely re-signs on a cheaper deal to stick around as their 3C, he's still producing at a good clip and he's got some deep roots there. Hard to see him going anywhere else. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Boeser or Garland

for
Morrow
Nikishin
2024 1st

Only drawback with Nikishin is he's locked up in the KHL through to the 2024-25 season. 

Is his career actually in jeopardy or is this just Carolina making people (NHL) think that so he can stay 'injured' and not count directly against the cap, then miraculously joint the team just in time for PO not unlike TB?

MaxPacc had a nice career(if that's it). He's lucky it didn't get quickly derailed by that horrific Chara goonery, a decade back.

On their sudden AAV:

Saw some pricey proposals on HF, whereby Van adds one of our W's. They could certainly now absorb the cap space for 2 top-end players.

This could get interesting.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Is his career actually in jeopardy or is this just Carolina making people (NHL) think that so he can stay 'injured' and not count directly against the cap, then miraculously joint the team just in time for PO not unlike TB?

Hard to say, I'm speculating that it could be but it's too early to really say. All we really know is he tore it again last night. 

Two tears in under a year is no small thing though, professional athlete or not. And given his deal is up at the end of the season it's hard to say where and if he's offered opportunities based on where his health is at. He's been hurt quite a bit over the years. 

Edited by Coconuts

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

MaxPacc had a nice career(if that's it). He's lucky it didn't get quickly derailed by that horrific Chara goonery, a decade back.

On their sudden AAV:

Saw some pricey proposals on HF, whereby Van adds one of our W's. They could certainly now absorb the cap space for 2 top-end players.

This could get interesting.

Garland and Bo to Car.

Drury, Morrow + 2023 1st round pick

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Only drawback with Nikishin is he's locked up in the KHL through to the 2024-25 season. 

You mean when we have a slight chance of not being terrible?  Sounds like perfect timing to me.

Gonchar should be a good coach and mentor for him and the other Russians will hopefully be established NHLers by then to ease his transition.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

You mean when we have a slight chance of not being terrible?  Sounds like perfect timing to me.

Gonchar should be a good coach and mentor for him and the other Russians will hopefully be established NHLers by then to ease his transition.

Nah just means we won't see him for a bit. Also Russian factor but he looks so good I would take that risk. 

I am high on him. He could probably step into an NHL top 4 right now and he's scratching the surface. He was touted as a physical defensive D with a shot prior to his offensive explosion this year.

Could be a Russian lefty Shea Weber. 

Would love to see him sooner if we got him. 

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure they'd take both Horvat and Boeser but I could see them taking Horvat and slotting him into their mostly vacant 2C spot. Pacioretty's 7M opening up at the end of the season mostly pays Horvat too. 

We're not getting Necas, as a team with contention aspirations they're not going to trade out their leading scorer, they're just not. But they do have plenty of prospects who'd look really nice on either our team or in our system. 

I think Staal likely re-signs on a cheaper deal to stick around as their 3C, he's still producing at a good clip and he's got some deep roots there. Hard to see him going anywhere else. 

Horvat at $7.5-8.0 to play on a contender + Boeser + Staal re-signed to a value $2 million deal… and that still leave them with $13.5 million to sign a starting goalie plus a few depth pieces.

Svechnikov-Aho-Boeser

Teravainen-Horvat-Necas

Martinook-Kotkaniemi-Jarvis

Noesen-Staal-XX

XX

Slavin-Burns

Skei-Pesce

XX-Chatfield

XX

XX

XX

That is a very good balanced roster with $13.5 million in cap space and no big pieces to sign.  $5 million for a goalie and they could still afford to add a top 4D to slot into their 3rd pairing.

Horvat means Kotkaneimi is also more sheltered and adding Boeser at the top of the lineup also he has better wingers to play with.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Horvat at $7.5-8.0 to play on a contender + Boeser + Staal re-signed to a value $2 million deal… and that still leave them with $13.5 million to sign a starting goalie plus a few depth pieces.

Svechnikov-Aho-Boeser

Teravainen-Horvat-Necas

Noesen-Staal-XX

XX

Slavin-Burns

Skei-Pesce

XX-Chatfield

XX

XX

XX

That is a very good balanced roster with $13.5 million in cap space and no big pieces to sign.  $5 million for a goalie and they could still afford to add a top 4D to slot into their 3rd pairing.

Horvat means Kotkaneimi is also more sheltered and adding Boeser at the top of the lineup also he has better wingers to play with.

Horvat works, I'll explain why I don't think they'd take on Boeser or Garland though. 

Aho will likely need a raise after next season, Peche, Terevainen and Skjei will need new deals as well. They've got other players to re-sign or replace as well.

They'll get Gardiner's LTIR freed up which gives them just over 4M so that'll help and they could always just let Kase walk which frees up another 1.5M. If Boeser only had a year left on his deal I could see it but I reckon Carolina will be cautious about bringing in term until they get their in-house stuff figured out. Now, that's just my opinion but I believe Carolina really likes their group and will likely look to at least prioritize Aho, Pesche, and Skjei first. 

Slavin is up the year after but Burns also expires and that'll likely take care of itself. 

Maybe they could juggle Brock's hit if we retained a bit. 

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

Svechnikov-Aho-Boeser

Teravainen-Horvat-Necas

Noesen-Staal-XX

XX

Slavin-Burns

Skei-Pesce

XX-Chatfield

XX

XX

XX

What does we get though?  If JK isn’t coming our way it’s a bad deal for us. How do we get better? 

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Horvat works, I'll explain why I don't think they'd take on Boeser or Garland though. 

Aho will likely need a raise after next season, Peche, Terevainen and Skjei will need new deals as well. They've got other players to re-sign or replace as well.

They'll get Gardiner's LTIR freed up which gives them just over 4M so that'll help and they could always just let Kase walk which frees up another 1.5M. If Boeser only had a year left on his deal I could see it but I reckon Carolina will be cautious about bringing in term until they get their in-house stuff figured out. Now, that's just my opinion but I believe Carolina really likes their group and will likely look to at least prioritize Aho, Pesche, and Skjei first. 

Slavin is up the year after but Burns also expires and that'll likely take care of itself. 

Maybe they could juggle Brock's hit if we retained a bit. 

Those raises happen right when the cap is expected to go up by $5 million each year.  They are in an excellent cap position going forward even counting any raises or UFAs to fill holes from expiring contracts.  They would be in the enviable pairing of having money to spend and UFAs wanting to sign at discounts to play on a contender.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What does we get though?  If JK isn’t coming our way it’s a bad deal for us. How do we get better? 

It is above:

Morrow

Nikishin

2024 1st rounder

Plus a whole whack of cap space in the summer to retool the roster.

An extra bonus to doing this deal early as it could start a little arms race in the East and we could try to move Miller and Garland to teams trying to keep up.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Those raises happen right when the cap is expected to go up by $5 million each year.  They are in an excellent cap position going forward even counting any raises or UFAs to fill holes from expiring contracts.  They would be in the enviable pairing of having money to spend and UFAs wanting to sign at discounts to play on a contender.

Hmm, I've heard we're supposed to see significant cap jumps going forward but I question whether Carolina would approach their cap based on speculation. But if it works, great, they can absolutely have Boeser or Garland as part of a deal. 

I'd retain on Horvat for the remainder of the season and possibly and Boeser as well, say 1-2M. I'm more open to retaining cap than others, it depends on what the incentive is to do so though. 

I'm open to retaining cap in the short-term to facilitate deals. 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

It is above:

Morrow

Nikishin

2024 1st rounder

Plus a whole whack of cap space in the summer to retool the roster.

An extra bonus to doing this deal early as it could start a little arms race in the East and we could try to move Miller and Garland to teams trying to keep up.

Our owner won’t go for that though.  It’s futures.  He insists we try to always get better.  So to follow his direction we need to take back NHL players.  JR wants young NHL players.  Put those two sons together and it’s JK as the key piece coming back.