The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

Probably not, considering you're intentionally trying to stir the pot. 

HF Boards is down the back alley. 

It was just my opinion.I am not fun of JR and not fun of Bruce.I dont stir nothing.Bruce is kind guy,i wish him all the best.When you are 4:0 in a game and loose game ,you dont need to be smart to see they cant play full game.It only happen that JR said team doesn't train properly.Motivation coach give you just that.Evaporate and nothing on the end.Not fan of HB.Just tought i can normally speak my mind here.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Imagine if tocchet Rips the C off of Horvat and sticks it on petterson. Since he is getting traded anywayz or plops it on Miller. That would be nuts. Get a new voice maybe put the C on OEL so he gets more responsibility and maybe can help turn the ship around..maybe we really need a tough coach change that atmosphere. From country club to hard nose fighting machines....

1 hour ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

JR clearly answered why BB had to be fired, for 2 main reasons.. #1 a few weeks back they had a managnent meeting where clear expectations were set for rest of the year and if those werent being met then a change would be required. BB clearly knew this and wasn't shocked or upset by being fired, he was just sad to leave Vancouver. It's the fans who made it the firing a bigger than it is.

Second, and largely the bigger reason why a change of coach mid season is required is to test the players AS IN was it the players or was it the coach that ruined the season?

The next 40 games will be a last chance with a clean sleigh for certain players to step up and prove them selves with the intention of either keeping their spot or being delt out of town. The reminder of the season will be used to evaluate players and get Tocchet up to speed on tactics with the main core. 100% clear why a coaching change was made if you still don't understand it thats on you the intelligent smart fans already moved on and are going to welcome Tocchet with open arms.

A clean sleigh? Are we heading to Grouse?

Also...I missed something I guess. When was this meeting and what were the expectations that were set out?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, chon derry said:

You put a lot of blame on the players and coach whist including yourself in being with the” intelligent “ fans. You also make mention of the remainder of this season to evaluate the players. Had this been done correctly last year prior to jr signing miller. Of which jr had until July 1st 2023 to get that done, further to that point had he held off, given millers drop off and off ice crap, and horvats season and contract situation do you really think blaming the coach is fair? They had a year and ahalf to “evaluate” and failed badly. With a real potential of losing horvat in a market that’s not easy to move players and/or get good return. Boudreau could only ice what jr pa gave him. You failed to mention any blame on  management. Jr and pa wouldn’t admit to the glaring oversite. Miller being dealt off last year would have alleviated 2 problems. A clear path to lock up horvat with cap saved. And getting some help on the backend by dealing miller. There was more blame to spread around other than pointing solely to players and boudreau. Until you understand that. Don’t put yourself in with the intelligent crowd just yet. 

Evaluation is a constant in pro sports.  You're right, it is SO important.  It should be going on for everybody in the organization all the time.  

Also, what we don't know, is what Horvat was asking for last summer before Miller was signed.  Because whether or not Miller was signed should have nothing to do with paying Horvat kooky money.  I've heard speculation from some so called insiders that Allvin felt that he couldn't lose both of them and since Miller accepted $8M they went with that because Horvat's demands were way out of line even then.

Horvat, as a centre is way more marketable than Miller and they are much more likely to get a top 4 RHD with him.  

I'm disappointed that it looks like Horvat will be dealt but it's true that the team needs a shake up and they're going to get one.  It's the players who are the issue but it's ironic that the first casualty was Boudreau

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Life life said:

It was just my opinion.I am not fun of JR and not fun of Bruce.I dont stir nothing.Bruce is kind guy,i wish him all the best.When you are 4:0 in a game and loose game ,you dont need to be smart to see they cant play full game.It only happen that JR said team doesn't train properly.Motivation coach give you just that.Evaporate and nothing on the end.Not fan of HB.Just tought i can normally speak my mind here.

All the best to you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

OK please tell me how is the media 'speculating' when their reports are 100% accurate.

Name me one other team that have essentially fired a coach a month in advance with everyone knowing who and when his successor is coming in. 

You can't put the whole blame on media, this management group produced an environment that allowed information to leak and for pretty much everyone to pile on. They could have easily avoided this just by firing BB when Tochett name leaked and just go to Yeo as interim especially knowing now that he ain't losing his job. 

Also some here not disliking Tocchet hiring because of Bruce. He probably need to go so that ain't the maddening part. Some do have legitimate concern over hiring an hard ass like Tocchet given how bad the Torts experiment went. All the arguments for Tocchet were exactly the same as thise given when Torts was hired. Tocchet previous coaching record also does not instill confidence. Given JR previous hiring record, this move also reaks of nepotism (or cronyism if @Googlie wants to go traditional definitions) that further does not instill confidence. 

That said after calming down a little. I wish Tocchet the best after this season as him succeeding trumps my dislike of this hiring or any vendetta to be right. But this season, I hope he craps the bed for Bedard. 

Media built up what was entirely visible to anyone who watched this team. Bruce couldn’t get them to perform, coaches are always first to go when change occurs, and the inevitable happened. Media did Bruce NO FAVOURS by focusing and grinding out that aspect/strory, but because it has that human tangent due to the great human being he is, it becomes such easy fodder for the dipshits who can’t seem to accept reality of where this team was headed. Ppl get caught up in the emotion of what was an unfortunately natural progression, and of course want to vicariously be victims themselves as well of the same process in order to show support for Bruce. I understand that, it’s human nature. It’s also a pseudo-guilt reaction to seeing him depart. He’s a very loveable guy who hopefully gets another shot somewhere else. 

Most recent case in NHL was Rick Bowness. If you recall how that went down, Bowness is also a much revered and respected bench boss, yet the nature of being a pro sports coach gave him a rough ride too. Like Bowness, Bruce has accepted its part of the game.

What he also had to accept was media poking and prodding him about it every given opportunity just so they could get a fukn sound bite. That’s just as shameful as unfortunately having to apply a strategy as to when to relieve such a good human being/coach.

• There it is 1

52 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

I like the pedigree of the new coaching staff as players but how that translates to coaching has me wondering.Myself personally I hope they don’t give us a coaching bump but rather sit back and assess and keep the tank rolling.

I wouldn't worry about the coaching bump.

The goaltending won't let us have any chance of a coaching bump.

Even if there is one, it will be a short one. Maybe 3-0-1 start to Tocchet's tenure.

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Evaluation is a constant in pro sports.  You're right, it is SO important.  It should be going on for everybody in the organization all the time.  

Also, what we don't know, is what Horvat was asking for last summer before Miller was signed.  Because whether or not Miller was signed should have nothing to do with paying Horvat kooky money.  I've heard speculation from some so called insiders that Allvin felt that he couldn't lose both of them and since Miller accepted $8M they went with that because Horvat's demands were way out of line even then.

Horvat, as a centre is way more marketable than Miller and they are much more likely to get a top 4 RHD with him.  

I'm disappointed that it looks like Horvat will be dealt but it's true that the team needs a shake up and they're going to get one.  It's the players who are the issue but it's ironic that the first casualty was Boudreau

What ever horvats demands were,at the  Time ,had no bearing on millers situation   And shouldn’t have necessitated millers signing ,my point is they could have afforded them self’s the time for further evaluation, of both players. 

It makes ZERO sense to do this now. What do they need to motivate the Canucks players for? So they can do exactly the same thing as last year and not make the playoffs while also not getting any players from tanking.

Was Rick Tocchet so in demand they couldn't wait until the end of the season instead of trying to stop the Canucks from sinking?

Can understand the logic. Fans did not want this move now, because it just keeps the Canucks stuck in mediocrity - the same place they've been for 10 years.

FIRE King and Yeo now.