The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 25, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Carolina was a bubble team that year... it didn't even make the playoffs the next year.

Carolina also rode another rookie goalie to the Cup... Cam Ward... who won the Conn Smythe in 2006 and then basically faded in the rest of his career.

Hurricanes also had an easy path to the finals... their only challenging series was against New Jersey... who were a dwindling force after their 2003 win.

The rest of the series, except against Montreal in the opener,  they faced upset winners who were brought back to reality.

Carolina had 112 points that year.  They were the 2nd seed in their conference, tied for 3rd best team in the NHL.  They were one of the favourites to win the cup that year. They beat New Jersey in the 2nd round who were the 5th seed and beat Buffalo in the 3rd round who were the 3rd seed.  Edmonton was the actual bubble team who were the 8th seed in their conference and beat the #1 team in the NHL that year, Detroit.  

They also made the finals in 2002, so I would say that they were on their downward cycle after their second cup run.  They had a pretty old team in 2006.  Only Staal, Williams and Ward were the under 25 guys on that team.  I think JR built that team to win the cup, he gave them 2 shots and they won on the second try.  After that 2006 run, they had a pretty old team, and like you said Ward became an average goalie after that run.  It took them another 12 years to get good again.

At the end of the day, other than the last 4 years, the only success Carolina ever had was under Rutherford.  They won one playoff round before he arrived, and then won 9 playoff rounds while he was there.  Since he left they have won 5 playoff rounds, all in the last 4 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I am starting to blame our fan base for our current situation.

JR is a terrible manager. 

Aqualini is a terrible owner for keeping the manager, refusing to listen to the fans and refusing to sell the team. 

He refuses to sell the team because he makes $$$ out of it. 

He makes money out of tickets, commercial rights and merchendise, all of which are directly bought or consumed by our fan base. 

So for the love of this team, STOP going to the games. STOP buying merch, and STOP watching the live games. 

We need to drain the ownership out of cash so that they finally sell this train wreck of a team to someone who cares about us fans and does what’s right. 

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Spencer Martin in his last eight games:

0-8-0, 4.95 GAA and .847 SV%.

Management keep taking flyers on cheap alternatives and this is what happens. We get lucky at the start then get burned. 

Same has gone for guys like Studnicka, Stillman and Bear. Only one of them has really shaken off the healthy-scratch worthiness of their former team (Bear) and proven he's a decent NHLer. As for the rest, I'm not yet convinced. Far too many projects and not enough quality on this team.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Management keep taking flyers on cheap alternatives and this is what happens. We get lucky at the start then get burned. 

Same has gone for guys like Studnicka, Stillman and Bear. Only one of them has really shaken off the healthy-scratch worthiness of their former team (Bear) and proven he's a decent NHLer. As for the rest, I'm not yet convinced. Far too many projects and not enough quality on this team.

Martin earned a chance last season. 

The reality is a healthy Demko probably wouldn't have us winning many more games either, not given how the team has played up front and in their own zone this season. We might just have fewer goals against. 

Edited by Coconuts

52 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Carolina was a bubble team that year... it didn't even make the playoffs the next year.

Carolina also rode another rookie goalie to the Cup... Cam Ward... who won the Conn Smythe in 2006 and then basically faded in the rest of his career.

Hurricanes also had an easy path to the finals... their only challenging series was against New Jersey... who were a dwindling force after their 2003 win.

The rest of the series, except against Montreal in the opener,  they faced upset winners who were brought back to reality.

But I thought the Stanley Cup was one of the hardest trophies to win?

If it is that easy how come we haven't had one in over 50+ years (with even less teams) ?

How can Canuck fans say to a Stanley Cup winner, yeah you won a cup but you got lucky

To be win you need to be good at both  being good and good luck (injuries, opportunities, saves etc.)

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

1 goal and 2 assists by former Canuck and Jim Benning's second-ever draft pick Jared McCann. That Erik Gudbranson trade sure worked out.

Benning has my vote for being the worst NHL GM of the decade. When you look at performance per dollar spent on player salaries. I don't think it is close.  And, with the OEL contract (not to mention the Myers contract), lost draft picks, and various other lingering effects, the damage he did will continue for a while.

But I actually feel no particular anger toward Benning. He was doing his best but he was obviously in over his head and, in my view, obviously incompetent. Somehow, Aquilini kept him around for 7 1/2 years. Aquilini is the guy I am really angry about and he is still around.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Remember when CDC was saying they'd feel more comfortable running Martin over Demko? :ph34r: At the very least I remember seeing it on youtube when I watch the highlights after work. I know we're supposed to be a fanbase that loves backups. But good grief is that guy ever terrible. He had a good run last year, but this. This is ugly. He was flopping around on all the goals. Yes I know we're not good defensively. But stand your ground my G. Whatever. Bruce there it is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1