The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 25, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Just watched Tock-It during his Post-Game interview and let me tell you, he looked really pissed and shocked with what he saw tonight.    He is not going to age well with this group and their performances and I can see him blowing a gasket quickly.    He looks like a VERY impatient guy and I honestly don't think he knows what he got himself into with this hornets nest of a team.   I wish him Luck but I don't get the feeling he'll be around here long.

If some players can't handle the heat, then it's time to kicking players out of the kitchen.  

We need a different mix here, and it was pretty clear tonight that a few guys were hustling their buts off while some weren't and didn't look engaged.  I feel like Garland played on two different lines and those were the few offensive possession bright spots during the whole night.  I feel much safer and better about our final standings outlook and making sure we're in the bottom 10 for the draft. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I would have been pissed if they started playing better under Tocchett. Would have just made me wonder where it was earlier and why they were giving up on Bruce.

There should be no doubt in managements minds about what needs to be done.

Complete teardown of the D, rebuild the bottom 6, and more speed and grit, and get a reliable backup goalie. All the thing Benning failed to do in his 7 years of building.

I don't think there is anything wrong with our backups... as long as they are not being asked to play more than 1 game in 5.

Martin was fine as a backup at the start of the season... and I don't doubt Delia would be ok too.

A lot of a backup's performance is a function of him constantly working with the Goalie Coach... and getting his confidence built up and practicing, practicing, practicing.

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

For the past 6 weeks, it has been getting steadily worse. My guess is, our attack on PP has become to predictable, it's essentially the same every time. Tonight, I saw them line Miller up on the Right side once and Pettersson at the point with Hughes, but it needs a lot of work and we have not been doing enough experimentation on improvement.

Predictable is good riiiiight?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I’m positive they left those guys in place on purpose. At least I hope they did because it would give me faith that they’ve chosen to tank.

Like a guy who’s in charge of a 65% pk does not escape firing unless the team wants to lose :lol:

But then what is the point of replacing Boudreau?

Why not wait till the summer?  Save the owner some dough, give the new coach a chance with a whole new roster.

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with our backups... as long as they are not being asked to play more than 1 game in 5.

Martin was fine as a backup at the start of the season... and I don't doubt Delia would be ok too.

A lot of a backup's performance is a function of him constantly working with the Goalie Coach... and getting his confidence built up and practicing, practicing, practicing.

Martin was a nice story but like with the Hamburger that’s all it was. He’s not a full time NHLer.

He’ll be gone next season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

He was completely lost for words for a while. You could tell his train of thought was lost . Didn’t know how to respond to this level of inability. 

He's only on a 2 year deal essentially. Just long enough to expire along with Jim Rutherfraud, Alvin and the chipmunks. 2 years of a Lowe/Eakins wipeout. 

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Why not wait till the summer?  Save the owner some dough, give the new coach a chance with a whole new roster.

Tocchett was their guy. Clearly they would have had him in place to start the season if they had their way.

They got rid of Boudreau because word leaked that they were interviewing other coaches and they were forced to make the move. The backlash it created became too strong.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I hope they hold off one more year.  OEL has been getting put into horrible positions and tonight was a perfect example.  There was at least two Seattle goals where OEL was covering his man and in the last second had to try and shuffle due to a defensive zone breakdown.  How many times did OEL stop a Seattle forward streaking in on the net, three, four?  

OEL was one of the few bright spots except for Spencer Martin, Dakota Joshua (miniscule positive effect), DiGiuseppe (won some battles), and Garland.  

If we hold off one more year on the buyout, it would cut down the length of time to repay the penalties in the long run and make the numbers smaller. 

Regardless, we are getting the equivalent of a 5 mil/year d-man for next year but paying him 7.2 mil.  His contract inefficiency is not reason enough to make our team worst with a penalty in the immediate future (next year). 

The buyout talk is so dumb.  

As long as we aren’t contending, there’s zero reason to buy him out.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He's only on a 2 year deal essentially. Just long enough to expire along with Jim Rutherfraud, Alvin and the chipmunks. 2 years of a Lowe/Eakins wipeout. 

Clearly the owner needs to sell if we’re ever going to succeed . This revolving door isn’t sustainable. 

This team is broken  

Benning screwed us with his last few decisions. JR/Alvin made a mistake with Miller and overestimating this team under Bruce. 

It’s all water under the bridge now. But somebody needs to make some moves and get the pieces in here to change whatever culture we currently have. These players are mentally fried. 

I’ll just be here waiting 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That doesn't seem to be the case for everyone else in the top 6 tonight. 

They seemed to have regular ice time. Horvat almost 45 minutes past two nights. Petey also 40+. 

Boeser, Mik and Kuz played more than Miller tonight. 

Miller played with Garland and Dries.  Garland played 13:06 and Dries played 14:02.  They were obviously the 3rd line tonight in terms of matchups.  That will probably change next game. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Not waste time.  They likely want to prepare for next season and get players to play within the system and correct bad habits. Also allows them to see who will fit and who won't.  Management doesn't look to be thinking rebuild but playoffs.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1