The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Vasily Podkolzin, Nils Aman, Phillip Di Giuseppe

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Nice. Time to go and take a bad contract from a contender (hopefully one that expires end of this year) and pick up another draft pick

That could put them at risk of missing out on College UFAs. 

One of the arguments to attract college UFAs is to burn a year of their ELCs immediately which includes a signing bonus.  When adding a player late in the season this signing bonus is pro-rated up to reflect that it's going to be due over a shorter period of time vs a full season.  Someone like Rafferty who the Canucks signed with 4 days left had a cap hit of over 5M because of his 92.5K signing bonus.  

The cap hit of a late college UFA signing is:  Signing bonus x days in the season (185) / days left in the season + base salary  

The Canucks are in LTIR - ie they can't bank cap space and their available cap space is only their unused LTIR cap space.  If they use it up they'll be in tough to compete with teams who have banked cap space and have 10s of millions of available towards the end of the season (Buffalo even hit well over 1 billion late in the season last year and they need Ds). 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

Abby doesn't play again until next weekend. My hope is that Podz, Aman and Pizza can be sent back by then. Solidifying their playoff position is more important than games in Vancouver. Rotating Abby players thru Vancouver is a good development tool so not absolutely opposed. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

15 hours ago, stawns said:

Hogz?  Oh yeah, though his hands are still not super great, he's too good for the AHL, imo.  He pretty much controls the play most shifts he's out there..........his skating and motor is unmatched on Abby.  Depending on how they construct their team next year (top 6 and bottom 6 or top 9), I'd be finding a place where he can contribute offensively.  Personally, I'd reunite the Petey, Hogz and Podz line next year.

Kuzmenko was signed to play with EP.   

Hogs reminds me of Hansen a little.  That line played 3rd line minutes against lesser competition but did well.    Hogs is going to get one more chance with the  big club, but it won't be this season. 

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Kuzmenko was signed to play with EP.   

Hogs reminds me of Hansen a little.  That line played 3rd line minutes against lesser competition but did well.    Hogs is going to get one more chance with the  big club, but it won't be this season. 

Kuzemenko was signed to play with the Vancouver canucks

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Kuzemenko was signed to play with the Vancouver canucks

Lol.   True.   With Horvat gone, i'm pretty sure they won't be trying to shake EP out of his funk (why they dropped him to the third line last season for a couple weeks), for the purpose of helping Hogs and Podz.    Maybe one of them gets to play with EP, but both I don't think so.   Suppose Tochett knows what they want to do.     But not sure why they'd break up our most effective pairing. 

Edit:  As for the suggestion I don't have any issue with whatever Tochett decides to do.   And just for you, that line last year was the most effective one before you consider quality of competition.   As a third line it was the best third line we iced. 

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Lol.   True.   With Horvat gone, i'm pretty sure they won't be trying to shake EP out of his funk (why they dropped him to the third line last season for a couple weeks), for the purpose of helping Hogs and Podz.    Maybe one of them gets to play with EP, but both I don't think so.   Suppose Tochett knows what they want to do.     But not sure why they'd break up our most effective pairing. 

Edit:  As for the suggestion I don't have any issue with whatever Tochett decides to do.   And just for you, that line last year was the most effective one before you consider quality of competition.   As a third line it was the best third line we iced. 

Petey is in a funk?  I'm talking about next season, not this one.

That line had great chemistry and that's what matters.  I agree that Petey and Kuz will likely play together, but it's certainly not a given and it on't be every game of the season.

13 hours ago, mll said:

That could put them at risk of missing out on College UFAs. 

One of the arguments to attract college UFAs is to burn a year of their ELCs immediately which includes a signing bonus.  When adding a player late in the season this signing bonus is pro-rated up to reflect that it's going to be due over a shorter period of time vs a full season.  Someone like Rafferty who the Canucks signed with 4 days left had a cap hit of over 5M because of his 92.5K signing bonus.  

The cap hit of a late college UFA signing is:  Signing bonus x days in the season (185) / days left in the season + base salary  

The Canucks are in LTIR - ie they can't bank cap space and their available cap space is only their unused LTIR cap space.  If they use it up they'll be in tough to compete with teams who have banked cap space and have 10s of millions of available towards the end of the season (Buffalo even hit well over 1 billion late in the season last year and they need Ds). 

Very good point 

Aiden McDonaugh, Jacob Truscott, and Jake Livingston are three guys that we should keep our eyes on here in a month and a half.