The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Feb. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I like that he doesn’t call out the 5 players by name, and when Iaian basked if Kuz was one, he was honest enough to confirm it, but quick to give him a vote of confidence.

accountability, but some discretion

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Some pretty darned good players at the top of this draft though. 

Yep and I’m tired of this too proud to tank attitude we’ve had forever.

What does that get us exactly? Is being a mediocre team something to be proud of??

Theres a reason why teams who started rebuilding 5 years ago have already passed us. There’s no substitute for elite talent.

Also a reason why American teams have won the cup so much more than us. They know that planned tanking equals success more often than not. Too much pressure on Canadian teams to be good every season.

Edited by DeNiro
  • There it is 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

What does that get us exactly? Is being a mediocre team something to be proud of??

Theres a reason why teams who started rebuilding 5 years ago have already passed us. There’s no substitute for elite talent.

Looking at the Cup winners (especially during the cap era) they seem to have at least one top three pick of their own who plays a key role.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If we get one of those top 3, Imagine them taking off in 2 years, with a 195 lb Petey after a couple great off-seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

If we get one of those top 3, Imagine them taking off in 2 years, with a 195 lb Petey after a couple great off-seasons. 

That’s the dream I have right now.

If you have a one-two of Pettersson and Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson that’s an absolute game changer.

New Jersey didn’t get good by fluke. They’re good in large part to drafting Hischier and Hughes.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, nux_win said:

Seeing so many so-called "fans" cheer for losing makes me sick to my stomach.  I can never get on board with wanting to lose, just because it's fashionable these days.  Go Canucks Go!

I’m in fashion but I understand this 

• Cheers 1

If you have a one-two of Pettersson and Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson that’s an absolute game changer.

New Jersey didn’t get good by fluke. They’re good in large part to drafting Hischier and Hughes.

Hughes is looking great, and the Devils fans were showering him with MVP chants

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

I hate how ppl are okay with losing. This is the losing culture this team created and just cuz we get high draft pick it doesn’t mean we become a winning team… we got top 5 draft picks and how many worked out? Just Pettersson and Hughes. How many first overall did Buffalo have in last few years? How about Oilers? Are they any better? I am looking forward to us going on annual last few games winning streaks! 

Look at Calgary. Forever mediocre 

• There it is 1

Yup. The teams are all fairly close. It’s the truly high end guys who make the difference.  And those guys are more likely to come from the top of the draft, especially forwards. 

• Cheers 1

2 games in so far and Beauvillier has been pretty decent. His speed and board play is good. 

Also Garland has been terrific lately. If we don’t have any suitors for him at the deadline (depends if he’s being shopped around hard enough or not), I really don’t mind him sticking around. He plays with enough grit and tenacity to play up and down the line up, and he brings much needed speed and control in the offensive zone.

As for Boeser. I love the guy at a personal level, he’s such a great kid, but I really do think he needs a change of scenery at this point. I just don’t see how he fits in the line up, especially with the type of game Tocchet coaches. He needs to be playing with guys that can feed him the puck. He’s just rotting away on the 3rd line.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Seeing so many so-called "fans" cheer for losing makes me sick to my stomach.  I can never get on board with wanting to lose, just because it's fashionable these days.  Go Canucks Go!

If you actually want your team to win you have to accept losing sometimes.

If you’re a fan long enough you understand this.

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Or without Petey as he signs the first offer sheet placed in front of him in summer '24  - to get to a city whose fans don't wish a losing streak on their team just to increase draft odds from 7.5% to 8.5%

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

There are tiers of team tank fans, I think. Those that cheer for a loss, and those that cheer for the win, but accept losses readily, as what’s best for the team. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

28 minutes ago, jyu said:

This makes me wonder. Who do we pick if we have the 2nd overall pick?

Carlsson or Fantilli?

Similarly sized and both are skilled. 

I think Fantilli is the clear favourite. That’s who I would go with. Can’t go wrong with either.

Though look at Fantilli’s Big-10 numbers compared to Beniers 

• Cheers 1