The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Feb 27 2023 - Canucks@ Stars - 5:30PT/8:30ET - AAC - FAREWELL TC STILLMAN

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

Demko-Sliovs the new goalie tandem moving forward? 

I find it funny, during the off season I predicted that Demko-Martin would win the William Jennings this year, and I placed a $20 bet in Vegas on the Canucks winning the Cup. :lol: Oh, good times.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Why do we assume its a military tank when we use the word "tank"...im thinking its more of a septic tank  ..  fits the situation better doesnt it?

Just in case anyone (besides me) is interested, I checked out the sources of the tanking concept. As @Dariussays, it has nothing to do with military vehicles.

The expression is often attributed to Billie Jean King who, in 1976, asserted that male tennis players often tank matches (lose deliberately in order to get some advantage or just because they don't want to play)  but women never do. 

However, the expression was used long before then, with several quotes from the 1930s in boxing, where "tanking" or "going in the tank" was used in boxing to mean deliberately losing. It was used in the same way as "diving".

But where did that come from? There are three suggested sources.

1. The most likely source is that it  is based on diving. Swimming pools were sometimes called "tanks" so diving into a pool was the same thing as diving into a tank or just "tanking".

2. Also, in the early 20th century car racing in England, a loser would often claim that he ran out of fuel (the tank went dry) or there was a hole or some other flaw in the gas tank.

3. The third from about the same time, refers to meat from slaughterhouses where meat that did not pass inspection was put into a "tank".

The more precise use -- losing to get a higher draft pick -- has become popular since the 1980s in the NHL, NBA, and NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• OldFaithfulCap changed the title to [GDT] Feb 27 2023 - Canucks@ Stars - 5:30PT/8:30ET - AAC - FAREWELL TC STILLMAN

REFEREES

Pierre Lambert #37
PL37.jpg?resize=120,120
Francis Charron #6
FC06.jpg?resize=120,120
Games ’22-23 52 54
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 73 / 0 7 / 15
Career Games (Reg/PO) 338 / 0 652 / 80
First NHL Game 11/17/16 4/5/10
Birthplace St-Hubert, QC Ottawa, ON

LINESMEN

Dan Kelly #98
2021_DK98.jpg?resize=120,120&ssl=1
Mark Shewchyk #92
MS92.jpg?resize=120,120
Games ’22-23 31 48
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 59 / 0 74 / 16
Career Games (Reg/PO) 125 / 0 1310 / 75
First NHL Game 1/28/21 10/9/03
Birthplace Morrisonville, NY Waterdown, ON
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Did I miss something? Where is Riley Stillman? where is the commander?

In my heart I guess I knew

Today is a sad day for us.

Go in peace young tankmaster general. The time you spent with us was short, but your legacy will live on forever. 

You have your whole career ahead of you. May you bean thousands of referees in the stomach with clearing attempts, and help the Buffalo sabres sink to the bottom of the standings every year for the next 20 years. 

@Coconuts and @OldFaithfulCap there are no other words

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

In my heart I guess I knew

Today is a sad day for us.

Go in peace young tankmaster general. The time you spent with us was short, but your legacy will live on forever. 

You have your whole career ahead of you. May you bean thousands of referees in the stomach with clearing attempts, and help the Buffalo sabres sink to the bottom of the standings every year for the next 20 years. 

@Coconuts and @OldFaithfulCap there are no other words

May Rutherford and Allvin's bloodlines be cursed for this egregious sin, cursed to have dogs want to bite them, to have cats recoil from their touch, and cursed to experience the disdain of the animal kingdom as a whole 

May hornets stalk them during the summer and may ants disrupt their picnics during the spring 

• Like 1