The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

26 minutes ago, Devron said:

I think Canucks nation was banking on those 2 picks to turn into stud players. Bold predictions 

At least there's hope in that, especially in a deep draft, over this never ending mediocrity management loves reliving.  Absolute insanity.

26 minutes ago, Devron said:

I think Canucks nation was banking on those 2 picks to turn into stud players. Bold predictions 

That's the problem when you have such a limited prospect pool and lack of draft capital. Every high pick has to be a home run and every prospect has a massive magnifying glass on them the moment they join the organization.

I don't really see a way out of that besides drafting as early as possible and often as possible for at least a couple of drafts in a row. Maybe I'm not creative enough.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

If we got a d man as good as Hronek in the draft I'd be significantly more stoked because we'd get 3 years of an ELC and then likely a bridge deal like Hronek is on now. We pay the additional 2nd and the relatively much higher cap hit in the immediate for the guarantee. I'd say that'd be a really smart move for a playoff bound team.

Not sure I get it when it's the 27th place team doing it. This season hasn't exactly been a 'one off'.

Im of the opinion that 27th place doenst accurately reflect what this team can do next year.

1. We had no goaltending all year. None. 

2. Our D-core was atrocious. And looks like they're well on their way to fixing it before next year. We now need a defensive minded LD and we should be in good shape. 

3. We had no penalty killers. Bo was not good at it. This will be huge to address - Hronek is a penalty killer, and we need a penalty killing 3C. A poehling or Jost, or someone of the sort.

Make those 3 changes and all of a sudden we're a good team. We have a pretty lethal top-6 and a very good goaltender.

We were lucky to finish so low, itll let us get a way better draft pick than our lineup probably deserves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

If we got a d man as good as Hronek in the draft I'd be significantly more stoked because we'd get 3 years of an ELC and then likely a bridge deal like Hronek is on now. We pay the additional 2nd and the relatively much higher cap hit in the immediate for the guarantee. I'd say that'd be a really smart move for a playoff bound team.

Not sure I get it when it's the 27th place team doing it. This season hasn't exactly been a 'one off'.

They’ve convinced people that we have to go for it or Petey and Hughes will walk. Even though that’s the strategy we’ve had since 2011. Apparently 24 year old players are dictating how we build a team now though.

For it to make sense you have to believe this season was a one off and they’ll be good next season. Like you said this has not just been one season of this, and it definitely can’t be fixed in one offseason. It’s gonna take several years no matter which approach they take.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

They’ve convinced people that we have to go for it or Petey and Hughes will walk. Even though that’s the strategy we’ve had since 2011. Apparently 24 year old players are dictating how we build a team now though.

For it to make sense you have to believe this season was a one off and they’ll be good next season. Like you said this has not just been one season of this, and it definitely can’t be fixed in one offseason. It’s gonna take several years no matter which approach they take.

So, let's say we rebuild and Petey and Hughes walk.

How long do you realistically expect the rebuild to take? 5 years?

6 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

If it turns out to be a Joulevi, we're screwed. Petey/Hughs window closes 

That's a good point. Sometimes draft picks turn into busts....so we should trade them for 4 million dollar players any chance we get.....

• Cheers 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

Im of the opinion that 27th place doenst accurately reflect what this team can do next year.

1. We had no goaltending all year. None. 

2. Our D-core was atrocious. And looks like they're well on their way to fixing it before next year. We now need a defensive minded LD and we should be in good shape. 

3. We had no penalty killers. Bo was not good at it. This will be huge to address - Hronek is a penalty killer, and we need a penalty killing 3C. A poehling or Jost, or someone of the sort.

Make those 3 changes and all of a sudden we're a good team. We have a pretty lethal top-6 and a very good goaltender.

We were lucky to finish so low, itll let us get a way better draft pick than our lineup probably deserves.

I'm not opposed to that optimistic point of view. My prediction was we'd be a playoff team this year. 

I'd hope Hronek is a penalty killer as a top 4 defenseman. 

• Like 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

That's a good point. Sometimes draft picks turn into busts....so we should trade them for 4 million dollar players any chance we get.....

$5.2million QO due next season to retain him too.

1 minute ago, awalk said:

That's the problem when you have such a limited prospect pool and lack of draft capital. Every high pick has to be a home run and every prospect has a massive magnifying glass on them the moment they join the organization.

I don't really see a way out of that besides drafting as early as possible and often as possible for at least a couple of drafts in a row. Maybe I'm not creative enough.

We actually have a pretty good prospect pool now though.

Filip Johansson and Joni Jurmo are both looking like the real deal. EP2 is playing significant minutes in the SHL as an 18 year old as well. Thats 3 solid defensive prospects that should all be ready to step in within the next 2-3 years.

On forward.. we have Raty, Karlsson, Hoglander, Klimovich. Karlsson and Klim all way exceeded expectations this year and look like they could do some serious damage for us soon. Raty was a huge get as well and could be a two way 2C for us in a few years. 

Goaltending we have silovs whos looking like the real deal.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Are you suggesting if the Canucks went full tear down, Petey and Hughes would somehow leave the team for zero return?

Just now, The Lock said:

Well if they don’t wanna be here we’d trade them and get a critical mass of picks and young players. 

Having players want to win now doesn’t mean you can cut corners to creating a winner. It’s a process that takes time and every team that has fast tracked it has failed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Devron said:

Go back to any draft and see how many misses there are…

I would love to have those picks still. The draft is a very exciting time but also we were in desperate need of THREE right handed defencemen. Not one but 3. How do we manage that? 

Stop trading away all our picks for once and establish a pipeline.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, eeeeergh said:

We actually have a pretty good prospect pool now though.

Filip Johansson and Joni Jurmo are both looking like the real deal. EP2 is playing significant minutes in the SHL as an 18 year old as well. Thats 3 solid defensive prospects that should all be ready to step in within the next 2-3 years.

On forward.. we have Raty, Karlsson, Hoglander, Klimovich. Karlsson and Klim all way exceeded expectations this year and look like they could do some serious damage for us soon. Raty was a huge get as well and could be a two way 2C for us in a few years. 

Goaltending we have silovs whos looking like the real deal.

That probably takes us up from around 28th-30th in the league in prospect pool rankings to around 20th. It's nowhere near good enough for a team that has missed the playoffs this many years in a row and is currently over the cap for next season. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Ummmm....how does Hughes "walk"? AFAIK he's signed for 4 more years.....:unsure:

Just now, DeNiro said:

Well if they don’t wanna be here we’d trade them and get a critical mass of picks and young players. 

Having players want to win now doesn’t mean you can cut corners to creating a winner. It’s a process that takes time and every team that has fast tracked it has failed.

Great. So we're in a crappy situation no matter what. Just what I wanted to hear.

This is why at this point I'm sitting back and waiting. I don't see the point in at least trying with what we have even if it does seem crappy. It's been 12 years since 2011, almost 10 years since Benning was hired. I'm not even convinced we'd get back there in 5 years if we do a rebuild at this point.

Process that takes time.. let's take that time after we've at least tried. I'm tired of failing.

• Like 1

Just now, awalk said:

That probably takes us up from around 28th-30th in the league in prospect pool rankings to around 20th. It's nowhere near good enough for a team that has missed the playoffs this many years in a row and is currently over the cap for next season. 

But add in a potential top 6 pick in this draft and now our prospect pool ranking goes to 15-16..

Not a bad job from a management team that inherited a bad team with empty cupboards, if theyre able to improve our prospect pool that much, while making our team better by plugging holes on D and the PK. 

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Ummmm....how does Hughes "walk"? AFAIK he's signed for 4 more years.....:unsure:

Requests a trade more likely. He presumably doesn't want to stay for a rebuild if we're to take his very words at face value.