The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Looks like Bo's offence has dried up a little over there, but they're winning games still. 

Hronek should be arriving to see our doctors today or tomorrow. Salo, yup. Now we'll have two Salo shots on the team at the same time: Hronek and Petey.

We will have options. We can always pull Brock off and play with two D as well. Love that we finally have a guy that knows how to shoot the puck. Petey is good but his shot selection is still horrible.

On 3/4/2023 at 1:34 PM, cripplereh said:

Look at the minutes he plays.Would not cost them money.He is better then most give him credit for.After the few ufa's rhd go Myers will be in demand. 

Where can you get an NHL D man for under 5 mill that can play over 20 minutes a night .

Right now RHD are the hardest to get in the NHL so yes most teams would see that and try and get him.

All those things apply to the Canucks as well. If you trade him away from a pick, sure you have a better Dman, and sure, it's cheaper, for now. But your now down an NHL defencemen, and the next man up is probably not that good at all.

From this year, even with a better core of Dmen in terms of skill and mix, you still have the same number that are proven NHLers. And on forward were down a centre. 

All in it's probably a sidegrade. Such is the situation of retooling.

Depth is still need bottom of the league. In the event one of these guys gets injured, and one already is, then that depth thing smacks them in the face, just like it always has.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Looks like Bo's offence has dried up a little over there, but they're winning games still. 

Hronek should be arriving to see our doctors today or tomorrow. Salo, yup. Now we'll have two Salo shots on the team at the same time: Hronek and Petey.

Can we not have him see our doctors? Maybe we can have him checked by another team's doctors instead...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Brock is a hell of a player. Like him a lot. I've watched most of their games. Your assessment is pure garbage. Bo is doing exactly what he was brought in to do. Win hockey games. You sound like like an 11 year old who had her favorite  toy stolen at lunch hour and is telling everyone she didn't like it anyway.

Pathetic, move on man. I thought you were a Canucks fan. Bo is over there, Hronek is over here. Focus!

Not to mention the sample size is sh!t. I can actually understand these comments from big Miller supporters venting because of the slack Miller gets but this is just gross. Attacking a guy like Bo is low, really low after what he gave to this franchise. 

Exactly. The criticisms that they had about Horvat make this fanbase seem childish.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Didn’t the kings trade a 1st in the deal for Gavrikov?

Why are we signing him all of a sudden? 

Plus we simply don’t have the cap space to be filling top 4 spots on D via UFA.  If we land someone, it’ll likely be like Marcus Pettersson via trade.

Or a bargain bin type. 

Big reason why I think we’ll bring back Bear as long as he doesn’t get greedy.  Or circle back on Schenn depending on if we can land a big freebie fish like Livingstone. 

Burrows and Wolanin are great but they need to be 7-8 or even 9 down the depth chart - they’ll still get to play. 

Count on the bargain bin bottom of the line up. Maybe we get a cheap Bear. Maybe we get a cheap Schenn. Then at least we start with six NHLers.

Burrows and Wolanin are AHLers! Wolanin was great in Abby. He is also 27. 

Still no guarantees on getting rid of Myers, which looses and NHLer, no matter what you think of him.

OEL still only has value in LIR. We might be stuck with him even in the press box or in an even longer cap prison punishment.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

Bo has 8 points in 13 games which is on pace for 50 points. 

this was a good trade for us

You do realize that trades have to be fully analyzed over a long period of time right? For example, we didn't know Forsling to be such a terrible trade after a good few years.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Bo has 8 points in 13 games which is on pace for 50 points. 

this was a good trade for us

I think he had some multi-point games early on with them as well. His offence has dried up quite a lot in the last handful of games. Definitely a great trade for us. It wouldn't surprise me if JRs early evaluation of this team saw Bo as the weak link, in the sense that he's not a playmaker but rather a finisher, and we can put a monkey with Petey or Miller and they'll produce. P&M drive their lines and the PP, so Bo was the easiest one to replace out of the core. 

Bo and a 2nd

for 

Hronek, Beau, Raty, and a 4th

One of the best trades in franchise history, on paper. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

We will have options. We can always pull Brock off and play with two D as well. Love that we finally have a guy that knows how to shoot the puck. Petey is good but his shot selection is still horrible.

We always wanted to see Petey and Brock blasting from both sides, but that never happened for some reason. Hopefully they'll find a way to fit Petey and Hronek on opposite sides and just start blasting away. 

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You do realize that trades have to be fully analyzed over a long period of time right? For example, we didn't know Forsling to be such a terrible trade after a good few years.

To be honest, a lot of us thought it was terrible from the get go :lol: but correct.

Horvat having less points in a defensive oriented team wasn’t unexpected. That said, he’s probably still one of their best threats on offense alongside Barzal who they’re missing at the moment. 

I do think Horvat is overpriced by at least $1.5M, but he should be good for them at least for the next 3-4 years. And we also know Horvat to be a bit of a streaky player, so it’s probably just one of those stretches.

I sure don’t expect Beauvillier to keep up his PPG pace at the moment. Though I do think Beauvillier serves as a great complimentary player for our future and is someone who I would prioritize next year in possibly extending to a reasonable contract. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Were you on CDC when Forsling was traded?  I think the majority of the fanbase here were really upset about it.  Most of us knew we lost the trade when it happened lol.  Sure, we didn't get confirmation of that for a few years, but most of us called it then.

I'm not sure why people are so sensitive about it when fans on here are stating that Horvat appears to be regressing back to his average.  He has always been a 50 to 60 point centreman that is fantastic at faceoffs.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that other than the fact he signed an $8.5M AAV extension.  At the moment, does it appear to anybody that Horvat is a 40 to 50 goal, 80 to 90 point forward? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Lol both of them have injury concerns but I doubt either of them are going to literally get bit by a snake or any of the other sadly comical type recurring Salo injuries.

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

We always wanted to see Petey and Brock blasting from both sides, but that never happened for some reason. Hopefully they'll find a way to fit Petey and Hronek on opposite sides and just start blasting away. 

Yeah, that would be awesome. I guess it depends on Hronek, maybe he can play the offside on the PP, or even down low. Hughes is definitely good enough to line up anywhere and make an impact. He's good at controlling the puck on either side too.

Miller Boeser Petey

Hronek Hughes

That's a lot of firepower lol :towel:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Who else ya got? That's actually in the system!!!!!

I would go with Johansson, or even Juulsen, at this point. I think it would be a mistake to re-sign Bear. He's got flashes but his overall defensive game is very poor. Too many mistakes imo. However you do make a good point. We're between a rock and a hard place right now so it may be the best we got. Anything over league minimum and 1 year is a mistake though. 

If we truly are looking at competing/playoffs (not going happen realistically) we need to find a better player somewhere ... which shouldn't be hard really ... clearing the cap will be the hard part. Maybe Myers goes and we bring in two moderately priced guys with Schenn as a 7th d.

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, that would be awesome. I guess it depends on Hronek, maybe he can play the offside on the PP, or even down low. Hughes is definitely good enough to line up anywhere and make an impact. He's good at controlling the puck on either side too.

Miller Boeser Petey

Hronek Hughes

That's a lot of firepower lol :towel:

I rather have Kuzmenko out there than Boeser.  Kuz is amazing around the net.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Oh yeah me too 100% but it seems like we're still forcing Boeser in there. I've heard RT likes him but I don't know if that's true or it's just supreme pump and dump. We really could benefit from getting out of that contract.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yup

Kuz has done more with his time on PP than Brock for sure

Even when not on the PP, he rang one off the post on his own individual effort.  He is definitely a better player than Brock

That being said, Brock has picked it up. Not worth the money but much better play than previous.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh yeah me too 100% but it seems like we're still forcing Boeser in there. I've heard RT likes him but I don't know if that's true or it's just supreme pump and dump. We really could benefit from getting out of that contract.

Next year's cap situation really hinges Poolman and Ferland staying on LTIR and whether Pearson is still on LTIR and trading Brock and at least one of Myers or OEL

If they cant, they may need to trade Garland which is unfortunate because he is outplaying Brock while earning 2m less.

My guess is worst case scenario is Garland and Myers traded.  Myers will cost a 4th to dump after his bonus is paid.

Best case scenario is OEL goes on LTIR and retires and we somehow trade Brock and we keep Myers for one more year until his contract runs out.