Warhippy

8 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Some key takeaways from PA media availability:

• Our target team identity is to be a fast team
  • That requires the D to get the puck to our forwards, preferably on the tape
  • Hughes & Hronek is a unique 1-2 punch 
  • PA is comfortable with his options to clear cap, internally and externally
  • I interpreted that to mean either buyouts or trade options
  • wonder if he has a handshake agreement on offloading Myers or a winger in the off-season 

My guess is that they are targeting OEL as a buyout without losing anything except a long term cap hit until 2031 but we get the most saving at just $146,667 counted for 2023-24, $2.3 m for 2024-25 season and 4.7m for 2025-27 season.  There is no saving like this if we choose to buy out OEL after this buyout window in 2024.  The cost of buying OEL out will lessen in last 4 years of buyout cap hit of just 2.1 million dollars.  

This is the only move that I'm willing to take just to get in cap compliant without them taking hostage of losing our own draft picks for future trade to free up some cap space and my guess is that we'll have a very quiet off-season with no dead money after all from Holtby, Virtenan buyout and OEL's contract will become a dead money for 8 years.  I think we don't really need OEL as he has lost a step as proven from a few years of play.   The team is much better without OEL and it's very clear as a day.  I think that it is the right time to do it and we'll have time to figure out what to do in 2024 off-season to be a cap complaint.   The reason we need to do it is because if we win draft lottery land Berard then we need to unload OEL anyways to make room.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Allvin has said they don’t want to rebuild. Guys on 650 just had him on. It’s clear our owner won’t rebuild. He hires management to do a continuous build/retool thing. That’s his philosophy. We moved Bo for futures but the first was quickly flipped for a proven NHL D to fill a role we needed. 
Any Miller offer had to include either a younger centre to fill Miller’s minutes or enough draft capital (like the Bo trade did) to be used to get that younger centre. Allvin must have believed the Pit offer didn’t provide the needed drat capital to get the centre he wanted. 

To Add to that the 1 rd pick they gave up for hronek was at 18 oa. And they weren’t sold on the players available in that range otherwise they would have kept the pick. Further pitts 1st rd pick at this moment sits further back at 19 oa. And the second 1st rd pick in next years puts it even further down the development path. Btw there’s only 1 dman avail in the middle of the 1 st rd. And the Russian kid ( gulyeyev) 

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Allvin has said they don’t want to rebuild. Guys on 650 just had him on. It’s clear our owner won’t rebuild. He hires management to do a continuous build/retool thing. That’s his philosophy. We moved Bo for futures but the first was quickly flipped for a proven NHL D to fill a role we needed. 
Any Miller offer had to include either a younger centre to fill Miller’s minutes or enough draft capital (like the Bo trade did) to be used to get that younger centre. Allvin must have believed the Pit offer didn’t provide the needed drat capital to get the centre he wanted. 

a proven NHL D that can't play defence just like all our current D? seems to fit in perfectly

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The best thing to come out of the trade deadline is clarity.

This is a retool

This is not a rebuild.

Thankfully that should stop the endless rebuild commentary in the media cuz it just ain't happening.  Like it or not for the next 3 years or so this management group is doing a retool.

I'm ok with it.  I am sick of the negativity in our amateurish media, so I want to see what management  can do to build around Petey Hughes and Demko.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

Undisclosed injuries including possible recent concussion to boot. Seems like a pattern with this team 

i don't hate the player it's just he's not the type of defenceman we should be looking for? an offensive minded defenceman that'll take chances on offence at the risk of being caught on defence.. so now we still need a guy to play with hughes.. on top we need a LHD that can play with Hronek lol literally creating more problems on defence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The best thing to come out of the trade deadline is clarity.

This is a retool

This is not a rebuild.

Thankfully that should stop the endless rebuild commentary in the media cuz it just ain't happening.  Like it or not for the next 3 years or so this management group is doing a retool.

I'm ok with it.  I am sick of the negativity in our amateurish media, so I want to see what management  can do to build around Petey Hughes and Demko.

Drance is the worst of them. His opinion lacks nuance entirely and he peddles this "tear it all down" philosophy as if its a surefire way to build a contender. Most teams that do it never go anywhere and end up a joke for years.

Imagine wasting QH/TD/EP in their prime. Smh. 

8 minutes ago, chon derry said:

To Add to that the 1 rd pick they gave up for hronek was at 18 oa. And they weren’t sold on the players available in that range otherwise they would have kept the pick. Further pitts 1st rd pick at this moment sits further back at 19 oa. And the second 1st rd pick in next years puts it even further down the development path. Btw there’s only 1 dman avail in the middle of the 1 st rd. And the Russian kid ( gulyeyev) 

Hmmm last I looked the NYI pick was at 15 and think it coud well drop to 13 or 14.. I think ther's more d prospects mid round ...Pellikka, and Reinbacher along with the Russian kid you mentioned

Trying to look at this 6 months from now. Canucks will be getting ready to hold training camp - run by Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier

Podkolzin - Miller -  Kravtsov

Mikheyev - ? - Garland

Joshua - Raty - Studnicka

Pearson*

Hughes - ?

? - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Dermott*

Trade: Boeser, Rathbone, Hoglander and Myers. Bear might have to do as Quinn's D-partner.

They're not that far off from competing IMO. This was just a lousy year from training camp, on. Tocchet will have them prepared next season. Maybe the Canucks draft a really good player as well. Canucks have a chance to get (RD) Jake Livingstone, and isn't (RD) Filip Johansson ready to play in Abby next year? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Drance is the worst of them. His opinion lacks nuance entirely and he peddles this "tear it all down" philosophy as if its a surefire way to build a contender. Most teams that do it never go anywhere and end up a joke for years.

Imagine wasting QH/TD/EP in their prime. Smh. 

He's annoying, but at least he is consistent with his views. 

2 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Hmmm last I looked the NYI pick was at 15 and think it coud well drop to 13 or 14.. I think ther's more d prospects mid round ...Pellikka, and Reinbacher along with the Russian kid you mentioned

Rienbachers dropped to 26 or 27 last I looked. 

21 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

My guess is that they are targeting OEL as a buyout without losing anything except a long term cap hit until 2031 but we get the most saving at just $146,667 counted for 2023-24, $2.3 m for 2024-25 season and 4.7m for 2025-27 season.  There is no saving like this if we choose to buy out OEL after this buyout window in 2024.  The cost of buying OEL out will lessen in last 4 years of buyout cap hit of just 2.1 million dollars.  

This is the only move that I'm willing to take just to get in cap compliant without them taking hostage of losing our own draft picks for future trade to free up some cap space and my guess is that we'll have a very quiet off-season with no dead money after all from Holtby, Virtenan buyout and OEL's contract will become a dead money for 8 years.  I think we don't really need OEL as he has lost a step as proven from a few years of play.   The team is much better without OEL and it's very clear as a day.  I think that it is the right time to do it and we'll have time to figure out what to do in 2024 off-season to be a cap complaint.   The reason we need to do it is because if we win draft lottery land Berard then we need to unload OEL anyways to make room.  

Benning really saved his worst move for last. That OEL trade has completely f**ked us

22 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Yup.

I think they will buyout OEL.  Canucks backed themselves into a corner.  Now they have to move contracts in the summer to get under the cap while also improving the team to make the playoffs.  Because that’s the goal…make the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trying to look at this 6 months from now. Canucks will be getting ready to hold training camp - run by Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier

Podkolzin - Miller -  Kravtsov

Mikheyev - ? - Garland

Joshua - Raty - Studnicka

Pearson*

Hughes - ?

? - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Dermott*

Trade: Boeser, Rathbone, Hoglander and Myers. Bear might have to do as Quinn's D-partner.

They're not that far off from competing IMO. This was just a lousy year from training camp, on. Tocchet will have them prepared next season. Maybe the Canucks draft a really good player as well. Canucks have a chance to get (RD) Jake Livingstone, and isn't (RD) Filip Johansson ready to play in Abby next year? 

FJ has been on Frolunda's top pairing, and by fair their best defenseman. Pretty impressive for a 22 year old in the SHL. my guess is he'll make a good case for a spot with the big team and skip abby entirely. Probably our 3RD. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1