The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Now that’s a valid criticism. And when an owner is pushing management to make these types of trades mistakes are made. Much like the Benning mistake trading for OEL. But IMHAO Hronek is a very good player who will anchor our second pair for the next 7 seasons. 

I don't disagree Alf, I think Hronek will be a good player for us but I don't think he is the player that we desperately needed. I am just exhausted and I feel like unless this team gets sold to a different owner we are just going to be mired in mediocrity. Not good enough to compete with the contenders and not bad enough to draft the cream of the crop. We have to hope to get lucky in the draft and hit on multiple picks. When was the last time we drafted a true star player with a late round pick, Bure? We need to hit a homerun like that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We already saw the photos posted here of Petey meeting with our owner (over dinner) after the “shocking reset”. Maybe the insistence of our owner to build now (and not rebuild) is partly because he’s talked to Petey and Hughes? Although I think it’s just what he wants regardless. He’s been this way since he bought the club. 

I'm convinced this is all coming from ownership and them wanting to accommodate our current good players and or get playoff revenue at all costs. Different management team and same shit every time

• There it is 1

Since the Canucks now have 2 good defensive coach’s in Foote and gonchar I can’t help thinking about any input on approval these 2 had on this trade. I don’t recall this team having as reputable defensive coaching as this. To me it doesn’t matter which side initiated talks. I’m just glad they did. I’ll even go so far as saying if Foote and gonchar didn’t approve. The deal doesn’t happen. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Canucks targeted Hronek, he wasn't actually on the market.  So, they didn't blow their load on the first guy who was available.  According to Allvin, he had been following both Beauvillier and Hronek for over a year.  Sometimes facts get in the way of a good argument...

If that’s true, then he’s been following the wrong fit in Hronek for over a year, which is concerning in itself. We need a strong defensive defenseman on the right side to pair with Hughes. An undersized offensive defenseman in Hronek was not the hole we needed filled right now, and certainly not at that price. 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

I don't disagree Alf, I think Hronek will be a good player for us but I don't think he is the player that we desperately needed. I am just exhausted and I feel like unless this team gets sold to a different owner we are just going to be mired in mediocrity. Not good enough to compete with the contenders and not bad enough to draft the cream of the crop. We have to hope to get lucky in the draft and hit on multiple picks. When was the last time we drafted a true star player with a late round pick, Bure? We need to hit a homerun like that.

I was super excited after the Bo trade too, and thought our owner might have actually d3cided to listen to the experts and rebuild through the draft. I was duped. So it’s either be always pissed at our stupid owner or accept it and look at trades from that perspective. And from that view I think getting Hronek is good. He’s a super good player. We need him. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Victor Hedman and Erik Cernak are not available for trade.  At any price, unless you want to give away a top 3 pick.  Hronek was the best one available, and he wasn't even on the market, Allvin targeted him. 

How was Cernak acquired by Yzerman? By trade and it didn't cost him a top 3 pick to get him. If that was the best that available then I would have kept our draft capital and waited for the right player to become available.

Also, I would disagree with your assessment of Hronek.  He is a good skater, at least as good as McDonough and Cernak, he plays a physical game for a guy who is only 6' 190lbs, he is great on the penalty kill and he is lights out on the PP.  His analytics are in the top 10-15 Dmen in the entire NHL.  He is definitely not a "soft" player.  He got run over by Ryan Reaves and was literally back in the lineup the next game when others may have been out for weeks. 

He is an undersized defenseman on a blue line that is already small and soft. We can agree to disagree on how 'soft' he is, imo he doesn't bring an element that we sorely need.  

The Canucks targeted Hronek, he wasn't actually on the market.  So, they didn't blow their load on the first guy who was available.  According to Allvin, he had been following both Beauvillier and Hronek for over a year.  Sometimes facts get in the way of a good argument...

Good for Alvin, however I don't trust his judgement when he is betting on a player that Yzerman chose to give away. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

If that’s true, then he’s been following the wrong fit in Hronek for over a year, which is concerning in itself. We need a strong defensive defenseman on the right side to pair with Hughes. An undersized offensive defenseman in Hronek was not the hole we needed filled right now, and certainly not at that price. 

Hronek is bigger than Devon Toews. He’s a better player too. Plus, he’s not here to play with Quinn. He’s here to anchor or second pair. Sure we still need more D, but Hronek is only 25. We have time to build more. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I was super excited after the Bo trade too, and thought our owner might have actually d3cided to listen to the experts and rebuild through the draft. I was duped. So it’s either be always pissed at our stupid owner or accept it and look at trades from that perspective. And from that view I think getting Hronek is good. He’s a super good player. We need him. 

I was one of the people still hoping for a rebuild, even though they wouldn't say it.

There was some hope from the Horvat trade and "major surgery" but that quote was ambiguous. It got the people going though.

The Canucks needed to recognize after the 2019-2020 season that they had two very special players in a 19 year old Quin Hughes and a 20 year old Elias Pettersson, and it was worth slowly building a contender around them. Instead they traded away a bunch of picks. Oh well

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Toews said:

How was Cernak acquired by Yzerman? By trade and it didn't cost him a top 3 pick to get him. If that was the best that available then I would have kept our draft capital and waited for the right player to become available.

He is an undersized defenseman on a blue line that is already small and soft. We can agree to disagree on how 'soft' he is, imo he doesn't bring an element that we sorely need.  

Good for Alvin, however I don't trust his judgement when he is betting on a player that Yzerman chose to give away. 

Yzerman couldn’t afford Hronek’s next contract. We have Hughes as a one D. Now we have Hronek as a 3 D. It’s very good. 

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

It’s possible to have both. 

A defensive dman is certainly what the team needs, I agree. 

This doesn’t have to be an either or situation, right? 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

He said it on 650 with Satiar Shah and Dan Riccio.  He said he targeted both players and had been following them since last year.  He also said he got input from the pro scouts as well who were watching the games.  He said both players fit the mold of what they want to accomplish moving forward.

As for being the wrong fit, I would respectfully disagree.  Hronek is a perfect fit for the 2nd pairing.  He wasn't brought in to partner Hughes.  They needed another puck moving Dman who is on the right side.  And Hronek is also physical and can kill penalties, so he is basically an all-around two way Dman.

I think they will go hard in the summer in targeting a couple of defensive Dmen to partner both Hughes and Hronek.  Hronek was just the first bite.  An elephant is a pretty large animal.  There are many more bites to come...

• Like 2
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yzerman couldn’t afford Hronek’s next contract. We have Hughes as a one D. Now we have Hronek as a 3 D. It’s very good. 

I think if the player had fit his vision then he would have made room for him. I believe that this was not a player that Yzerman preferred from a stylistic stand point. He likes big defenseman if you look at his drafting and his acquisitions, it seems to support that conclusion. In any case what's done is done I will cheer for the player and hope that he turns into all that we can hope he can be.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, Toews said:

am just exhausted and I feel like unless this team gets sold to a different owner we are just going to be mired in mediocrity.

Exactly how would a new owner create a contending team? Be specific. What does a new owner know that the current owners don't? More to the point, how do YOU know what the new owner would know?

Final question: Ever heard of Michael Heisley?

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is bigger than Devon Toews. He’s a better player too. Plus, he’s not here to play with Quinn. He’s here to anchor or second pair. Sure we still need more D, but Hronek is only 25. We have time to build more. 

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It’s possible to have both. 

A defensive dman is certainly what the team needs, I agree. 

This doesn’t have to be an either or situation, right? 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He said it on 650 with Satiar Shah and Dan Riccio.  He said he targeted both players and had been following them since last year.  He also said he got input from the pro scouts as well who were watching the games.  He said both players fit the mold of what they want to accomplish moving forward.

As for being the wrong fit, I would respectfully disagree.  Hronek is a perfect fit for the 2nd pairing.  He wasn't brought in to partner Hughes.  They needed another puck moving Dman who is on the right side.  And Hronek is also physical and can kill penalties, so he is basically an all-around two way Dman.

I think they will go hard in the summer in targeting a couple of defensive Dmen to partner both Hughes and Hronek.  Hronek was just the first bite.  An elephant is a pretty large animal.  There are many more bites to come...

What I’m saying is the timing for that move wasn’t right. Unless it solved our top need, a defensive partner for Hughes, then now wasn’t the time to blow those important picks heading into a deep draft. To me it’s all about what our biggest need is versus the cost, and the timing is just as important. In my opinion, the Hronek trade missed the mark on both. 

4 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

What I’m saying is the timing for that move wasn’t right. Unless it solved our top need, a partner for Hughes, then now wasn’t the time to blow those important picks heading into a deep draft.

I don’t disagree with the timing. Much like when we got Miller. Good trade for value, but the time for the current state of the club was off. But our owner wants to build right now for next season. Patiently rebuilding through the draft doesn’t seem to be an option with him. 

Just now, Metal Face Doom said:

As PA said in his press conference today, we aren't done yet.  Im looking forward to the off season and draft day.

Yup. We have Demko, Hughes, Hronek, Petey, Miller, Kuz, Myk, Podz. There will be a lot more changes/additions coming.