The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Allvin just traded a possibility unprotected 1st round pick from a non playoff team plus a 2nd for a second pairing RHD who needs a new contract and we will have to pay full market rate for in a season just like he was a UFA.

I don’t see a big difference…

So lets skip every opportunity to improve your team in an area which we desperately needed a ton of work on because you are afraid of things that may or may not  happen?  Alvin got the first from trading a pending UFA who could have easily walked for nothing July 1st.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Say what you will about JT, maybe he hasn’t put up the points like he did last year, and maybe he’s a coach killer. But when he’s on his game he bring an element of toughness this team just doesn’t have a lot of.  

He almost never fights, and that was against a guy who hadn’t won an NHL fight in his entire career.

Miller isn’t a bad player, but saying he brings much toughness isn’t really based in reality.  He isn’t even considered a middleweight tough guy.  He is tough compared with the rest of our top six I guess.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is an awesome number one centre. JTM is absolutely a good enough player to be a #2C on a contender. We are missing a #3C. Preferably a 200 foot guy who is right shot. Aman looks like he fills the 4c nicely. 

Pettey is an awesome number one C and Raty has potential to be 3rd line C soon. Aman is found money and I like. 
IMHAO JTM is a solid winger who plays a few decent games at C and suddenly everyone thinks is a full time C ignoring the disaster he was through most of the year. Blame Bruce but it is JT who is to blame for his terrible play at C.  
But if all we are looking for is to compete for a WC spot he is good enough which is the overriding management philosophy. Let’s be just good enough. 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

He almost never fights, and that was against a guy who hadn’t won an NHL fight in his entire career.

Miller isn’t a bad player, but saying he brings much toughness isn’t really based in reality.  He isn’t even considered a middleweight tough guy.  He is tough compared with the rest of our top six I guess.

He is a quality forechecked and plays hard minutes when on wing. He brings a lot when in his natural position and in shape. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

So lets skip every opportunity to improve your team in an area which we desperately needed a ton of work on because you are afraid of things that may or may not  happen?  Alvin got the first from trading a pending UFA who could have easily walked for nothing July 1st.  

What nonsense hyperbole.

Hronek needs a new contract… that isn’t a “may or may not happen” thing.  The team has no leverage on him, so dreaming about some massive discount on market rate is silly.

We could improve in that area of the team by signing a UFA AND keep the picks that could furnish us with cheap ELC players or be used as currency to get out of cap hell so that we could improve the team in more than one area.

Here is an alternative as an example…. Use that high 2nd as a sweetener to move Boeser with no money retained.  Sign a UFA like Severson with the money (probably less) than you will pay Hronek.

Use the freed up Boeser money to sign Gavrikov.

There… two top 4D which vastly improves our defence, AND we still have a possibly very high 1st round pick at our disposal which helps us avoid being capped out in the future by giving us a very good young ELC player or another get out of jail free card to ditch bad cap money and be able to reallocate it more wisely.

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

What nonsense hyperbole.

Hronek needs a new contract… that isn’t a “may or may not happen” thing.  The team has no leverage on him, so dreaming about some massive discount on market rate is silly.

We could improve in that area of the team by signing a UFA AND keep the picks that could furnish us with cheap ELC players or be used as currency to get out of cap hell so that we could improve the team in more than one area.

Looking back at the Hronek trade. It would have been a much better trade had they shipped a contract out in it. 

Would have killed two birds with one stone there. 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Looking back at the Hronek trade. It would have been a much better trade had they shipped a contract out in it. 

Would have killed two birds with one stone there. 

Yep, but Detroit only moved him so they wouldn’t be capped out in the future.  They weren’t motivated to trade Hronek because he was bad, they were motivated because they didn’t want to spend the cap he would have taken up on his new contract.

If we added a Boeser to that trade it would be been great.

Edited by Provost

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

What nonsense hyperbole.

Wasn't referring to Hronek's contract.  Unprotected 1st may or may not happen.  Signing a UFA?  hmm we still need to do that.  Our defense needed so much work that prospects from draft picks alone would not have fixed it.  Hronek's contract comes at a time that we should have cleared some cap.  They know what they have in Hronek.  They found one piece just one. Good cheap ELC players?  Who is out there that fits this that's available?  What team is going to let go a good Player currently on an ELC for just a few picks?  Care to name anyone that would help us?

Edited by coho8888

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, but Detroit only moved him so they wouldn’t be capped out in the future.  If we added a Boeser to that trade it would be been great.

Yzerman knows better and he has a plan, rather than chasing.  Ilich gave him a good deal to become their GM..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, coho8888 said:

Wasn't referring to Hronek's contract.  Unprotected 1st may or may not happen.  Signing a UFA?  hmm we still need to do that.  Our defense needed so much work that prospects from draft picks alone would not have fixed it.  Hronek's contract comes at a time that we should have cleared some cap.  They know what they have Hronek.  They found one piece just one. Good cheap ELC players?  Who is out there that fits this that's available?  What team is going to let go a good Player currently on an ELC for just a few picks?  Care to name anyone that would help us?

The ELC players would be our own guys who we draft and bring into the lineup if we don’t keep trading away all these high picks.

The 1st may not be unprotected yet, but it is still at worst a 1st round pick, likely at worst near the middle of the round.  The fact it could be an unprotected top ten pick just makes it much worse of a prospect

37 minutes ago, Provost said:

Allvin just traded a possibility unprotected 1st round pick from a non playoff team plus a 2nd for a second pairing RHD who needs a new contract and we will have to pay full market rate for in a season just like he was a UFA.

I don’t see a big difference…

Non playoff team?

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Non playoff team?

They were outside of the playoff bar when the trade was made and May still be out of it once you take into account winning percentage and the fact they have several games in hand.

Edited by Provost

42 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

And we win a few games after a coaching bump and suddenly are a couple players away…:frantic:

Every season same thing.  

Nope. We’re about 6-8 transactions from having a legit shot at the playoffs.

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

:frantic:Doesn’t work as sarcasm emoji?

Lol. I interpreted that as you mocking posters who believed that.

So much constant complaining in here. The teams not in good shape, but it’s okay to enjoy a win, and recognize progress.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah right. Most of CDC was predicting a division championship this year. We're going to suck again until the last 15-20 games and then go on a tear. This team  is so frustrating lol.

It is. But I'm putting myself back out into it. A healthy Demko and Hronek and no Myers and we push for playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

I've followed this team for almost 50 years ever since I was a kid playing street hockey in my neighborhood.  If anyone would be skeptical, it would be me.  Who knows? you may be right and this is might turn out to be JB 2.0.  But I've seen enough good moves from this management team to give me some hope.  They have no choice but to clear cap.  Lets hope that by doing so, it won't cost us a chunk of our future.

I'm at 44 years and I agree. Hopefully it works out. It's not like we have any choice but to sit back and hold on.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1