The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Mar. 19, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

But sometimes they realize they hired someone who is incompetent.  

then fire them and hire someone else...don't string them along forever

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I wouldn't be against it on principle but the return would have to be better than what we got for Bo.  Since we're playing our way out of the top C prospects in this year's draft, the return would probably have to include a prospect who could take over at 2C.  That wouldn't be an easy deal to make.  The team definitely needs a lot of work but it also has some great core pieces, of whom Miller is one.  Subtracting him in addition to Bo is probably a deeper reset than management has in mind, but it all depends on what they could get.  I agree that he's not untouchable like Petey and Hughes, but the last year plus suggests that they'd be looking to win any deal for him and that he wouldn't be a cap dump. 

I'd be fine with a Horvat level return, though nothing less......maybe a prospect a little older than Raty and minimal cap back, unless it's for a player 21-23

11 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Literally everyone on team tank that has seen this movie on repeat season after season.

Shocker that once the pressure is off this bad team can beat terrible teams.  This run will once again convince the optimists that this team is a playoff contender.  They'll spend the offseason highlighting the record for a small portion of the overall season as proof this is a good team.

This will not be a good team until:

1. We lose OEL.

2. We lose Myers

3. We have a better farm team.

Our prospect cupboard looks like we've been a contender for a decade, not like a team that hasn't earned a playoff game in a decade.

I feel like you don't really pay attention to Abby or prospects

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I didn't even have to try for these...cherry picked randomly in a 2 minute search.

There are likely a hundred of these so now you're back pedalling? Also....you've complained in the past few weeks about: the seats in the arena, the ice, the goal song. 

If it's painful....why? And, ftr, I'm not telling anyone to go away with my suggestion to maybe find something new to do...something pleasurable that makes you happy. It's a valid question as to why some subject themselves to the misery of it all (and ,in the process, us too). The ongoing saga that they've been dragged along for.

By the same token, you want to tell the team how they should run things...not your team. Let them do the job they're in place to do. The constant complaints fall on deaf ears.

Some of us are here for enjoyment...for recreation and entertainment. That's of value (too). So to constantly harp on us is your deal, not ours.

I love hockey. I love THIS team. But to have to hear the same stuff every single time we win a game is overkill. We know, we get it. 

I look forward to games again...that wasn't the case not long ago. So there's something in that (too). I do this for me...not just "a cup" and bragging rights. For the ride along the way. Lately, it's been a fun one.

Wow. I find it funny that some on here just feel they own this board and need to chase people that don't aways agree with them. It's your right to put faith in this team right now. The reality is that what they are doing right now has no impact on next year. Even Stanley cup winners say they have to forget about what happened last year. I guess it's great they are beating a lot of bottom feeders and teams who likely aren't taking that serious because based on the whole season why would they. Oh and again without Demko this team would not have won as much  as they did. It's changed the whole team. You have to look at the whole picture and realize yes it's great they won and their star players stepped up but where was this when it mattered the most? Where was it? They need new gms and coaches to make things happen everytime? We will see next year? I have read your posts too. Most of them are just defending the team no matter what. I don't think some on here want to hear that either when we know they can play better and aren't that good of a team. Guess what, that's your right. I could go back and paste all the posts when you attack people for stating their opinion whether it was negative. Who cares if people state things repeatedly. That's their right. You can choose to ignore. Instead you choose to look through old posts. You want to see everything with rose coloured glasses that's your right. The truth is when you land right in the middle of the pack it really gets you nowhere and you get nothing from the lousy season they had from it. If they are going to stink then stink. They need to stop wallowing in this middle ground. I am quite intrigued to see how they get out of this cap he'll when they have so many holes to fill and no money to spend but that's not my job so we will see.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Ovechkin before that and Chara in 2011. 

but if you go back to further, only 4 non north american captains have won the cup as opposed to 19 . 

Plus I'm adding Landeskog and Stamkos(2) to bring it up to date. 

2019 Alex Pietrangelo (Blues)

2018 Alexander Ovechkin (Capitals) *

2017 Sidney Crosby (Penguins)

2016 Sidney Crosby (Penguins)

2015 Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks)

2014 Dustin Brown (Kings)

2013 Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks)

2012 Dustin Brown (Kings)

2011 Zdeno Chara (Bruins) *

2010 Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks)

2009 Sidney Crosby (Penguins)

2008 Nicklas Lidstrom (Red Wings) *

2007 Scott Niedermayer (Ducks)

2006 Rod Brind'Amour (Hurricanes)

2005 NHL Lockout

2004 Dave Andreychuk (Lightning)

2003 Scott Stevens (Devils)

2002 Steve Yzerman (Red Wings)

2001 Joe Sakic (Avalanche)

2000 Scott Stevens (Devils)

19 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Apparently there was an offer from pittsburgh ( i think before tdl)

Pittsburgh offer was picks only for Miller, Allvin countered requesting a C to replace Miller.  Hextall refused and went and acquired Bonino and Granlund ( I'd be pissed if I was Crosby or Gino)

the C the canucks would have targetted by their criteria. under 25 could use a change of scenery.

Samuel Poulin & Filip Hallander plus a pick or two? I'd rather wait for a better deal.

edit* i dont mean both of Hallander and Poulin

I'm not sure who to believe about that rumoured offer, Allvin or our lying media.  Whatever the case, that is an example of the kind of offer management isn't going to accept, rightly so imho.  They aren't desperate to move Miller, who probably still has 4 good years left in him that overlap with Petey and Hughes.  If they could get a near-equivalent younger player plus other assets in a deal they'd probably consider it but who's offering that?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Petterson649 said:

This winning is getting a little ridiculous eh?

No. It's the passion they play with now. It just feels like where was this all year? A huge reason is Demko is back to his normal form but man the passion wasn't there except for Pettersson and Hughes. This is sort of what we expected at the beginning of the year. Maybe Boudreau just wasn't the right coach but they couldn't play with passion at the beginning like they are now? Like a switch flipped. 

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

You have evidence of this I assume?

Do you think it's inappropriate for a business owner to be involved in the business he owns?

Who spends up to the cap but yet doesn’t get to be involved in his own business nor deserves to win a cup. 
these statements probably made by kids who don’t know better 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Who spends up to the cap but yet doesn’t get to be involved in his own business nor deserves to win a cup. 
these statements probably made by kids who don’t know better 

Hey if this retool works, I will be the first to admit I am wrong. I mean that would mean they would win the cup which is what most fans want but they have to get rid of the albatross contracts somehow and trade a few wingers. They need more help on d. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. I think they are heavily involved but they own the team so it's their right. The biggest hurdle is the lack of money available to do anything and cheap assets in the farm that can be used in the meantime especially on d. It's going to be quite a challenge.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well, another victory... 

I can't even recap this game as far as who was good and who wasn't. 

Ducks are such a terrible team, probably the worst out of all the bottom feeders. 

Lmao and there are quite a few posters here who love the way they have “rebuilt” :lol:

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

but if you go back to further, only 4 non north american captains have won the cup as opposed to 19 . 

Plus I'm adding Landeskog and Stamkos(2) to bring it up to date. 

2019 Alex Pietrangelo (Blues)

2018 Alexander Ovechkin (Capitals) *

2017 Sidney Crosby (Penguins)

2016 Sidney Crosby (Penguins)

2015 Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks)

2014 Dustin Brown (Kings)

2013 Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks)

2012 Dustin Brown (Kings)

2011 Zdeno Chara (Bruins) *

2010 Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks)

2009 Sidney Crosby (Penguins)

2008 Nicklas Lidstrom (Red Wings) *

2007 Scott Niedermayer (Ducks)

2006 Rod Brind'Amour (Hurricanes)

2005 NHL Lockout

2004 Dave Andreychuk (Lightning)

2003 Scott Stevens (Devils)

2002 Steve Yzerman (Red Wings)

2001 Joe Sakic (Avalanche)

2000 Scott Stevens (Devils)

Useless stat in isolation. What is percentage of players from outside of North America and what percentages are in leadership groups. 
Definite bias towards NA captains because of language.  

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Hey if this retool works, I will be the first to admit I am wrong. I mean that would mean they would win the cup which is what most fans want but they have to get rid of the albatross contracts somehow and trade a few wingers. They need more help on d. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. I think they are heavily involved but they own the team so it's their right. The biggest hurdle is the lack of money available to do anything and cheap assets in the farm that can be used in the meantime especially on d. It's going to be quite a challenge.

Anyone who thinks Vancouver needs to rebuild is an idiot.

Saying we need to rebuild is saying that you have zero confidence in Pettersson, Hughes and Demko as your 3 main building blocks. 
A retool is all that is necessary. We only need to find a few support pieces, like Gillis did for the core that Burke and Nonis constructed. 
I like what management has done, they are trying to find and identify role players/support players. Mikheyev, Bear, Hronek.. its a good start, theres still some improvements that can be made and I believe those improvements can and will come from within the organization.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Lmao and there are quite a few posters here who love the way they have “rebuilt” :lol:

People see a few sexy rookies and are all “this team will win the cup 4-5 years from now.”

Forgetting we had some of the sexiest rookies for a few years in a row there. 

• elephant 1

Just now, ilduce39 said:

People see a few sexy rookies and are all “this team will win the cup 4-5 years from now.”

Forgetting we had some of the sexiest rookies for a few years in a row there. 

And our once sexy rookies are now sexy AF. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Anyone who thinks Vancouver needs to rebuild is an idiot.

Saying we need to rebuild is saying that you have zero confidence in Pettersson, Hughes and Demko as your 3 main building blocks. 
A retool is all that is necessary. We only need to find a few support pieces, like Gillis did for the core that Burke and Nonis constructed. 
I like what management has done, they are trying to find and identify role players/support players. Mikheyev, Bear, Hronek.. its a good start, theres still some improvements that can be made and I believe those improvements can and will come from within the organization.

Well we know right shot dmen aren't coming from within. They need to acquire those somehow. I still think they also need a left shot dman behind Hughes. I am hoping Rathbone is the one to take that spot.