The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Tuesday March 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Vegas Knights - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

29 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

To be a bottom feeder and have our best players lose hope and except losing no thanks I’d rather pick 15th.

Our best players weren’t good enough when it mattered.

Teams that pick 15th  tend to stay there.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Our best players weren’t good enough when it mattered.

Teams that pick 15th  tend to stay there.

You have to quit living in the past....it doesn't always represent the future. (I know...it's called anxiety and I've worked hard to learn this).

Our best players are good enough right now....so try to stay current. Give credit where it's due...you sell our guys short. They deserve better.

Working in a school, imagine if that mindset was acceptable or adopted?

"Yeah kid, you've been awful when it matters so there's no point in trying. It's been established. Doesn't matter that you have a new teacher (coach) and are learning new things...you weren't good enough when it mattered (on that last test) so we don't care what you're doing now".

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Nearly 1000pts, 440 goals, nearly 1300 games played, nearly 3000 pims and 1 Stanley cup during his playing career. 2 cups as an assistant with Penguins. He mostly ran the drills and systems during his tenure there. He knows what it takes to win.

He coached some awful Tampa/Arizona teams, nowhere near the same level of talent as us and we’re bad.

He’s a breath of fresh air. Bruce’s positivity and freeness was needed at the time, but players regressed to lower standards when they really just needed a coach who wasn’t a piece of shit but held players accountable and takes the my way or see ya approach.

I was referring to him getting to 30 goals and 300 PIMS in 1988 where he was 1 minute short on the PIM's. He should have face washed somebody in front of the net to get the 2 minute minor.  I am very familiar with his resume.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Are there other examples of this? 

Best example is the Leafs transitioning from the JFJ era to the Burke era.

Continually traded futures away to try and hit a playoff spot.

Sorely lacking in a position of need and trying to address it in trading away futures instead of the draft (Goaltending vs our RHD)

Bought high on a Prime Asset in hopes of augmenting their existing core (Kessel for two 1sts, 1 2nd)

That core ultimately topped out in a 2013 1st round Game 7 loss before they dismantled it.

The early 2000s Minnesota wilds and Predators also come to mind.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You have to quit living in the past....it doesn't always represent the future. 

Our best players are good enough right now....so try to stay current.

It was good having you on team tank for that brief stint debs ;)

The current reality is, Petey and Hughes are having their best seasons ever, and JT is turning out great.....and this roster is still a middling to bottom team by the time the season ends. And from what we've seen, they play hard for March because they want to have their jobs by October, where they fall flat again. I've seen this pony show too many times.

This is more getting season ticket holders back to their seats with this run.

And if this window dressing is enough for some fans, that's fine. I'm not the target audience anyway.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

What's the Canucks' long term strategy or plan?

With our current run our chances of getting Bedard draft lottery simulator Tankathon puts us at 6% chance of getting Bedard.

Is the strategy now to work on current team chemistry and building a more structured system and figuring out what playing style suits our team chemistry?

What's the path to get out of 10+ years of mediocrity where we have short runs that fall just short of making the playoffs?

Right now betting sites like Power Ranking Guru have us at ZERO% chance of making the playoffs (14 points out of a Wild card spot with 13 games left ), but also little chance of getting Bedard - so what's the plan?

5 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The current reality is, Petey and Hughes are having their best seasons ever, and JT is turning out great.....and this roster is still a middling to bottom team by the time the season ends. And from what we've seen, they play hard for March because they want to have their jobs by October, where they fall flat again. I've seen this pony show too many times.

And if this window dressing is enough for some fans, that's fine. I'm not the target audience anyway.

If they're capable of "what we've seen/playing hard" what makes you think they can't continue?".

They ARE learning what needs to be done and have seen that, if they put the work in and "play the right way" (that ol' cliche), they can be successful.

So why are we so willing to overlook that and write them off? Because of "the past"? Many of these current players don't own that history and some who do have had obstacles to overcome (injuries). And I feel they deserve a better assessment than what some here give them.

I'm ok with organic tanking...there's something to cheer us up in the dark times. But I much prefer this happiness. In the here and now. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

To be a bottom feeder and have our best players lose hope and except losing no thanks I’d rather pick 15th.

Exactly! I recall Ryan O‘Reilly being criticized at the end of a season because he said “playing hockey wasn’t fun anymore, I’m tired of all the losing. (With Sabre organization)

Then he gets traded to St.Louis and wins the Stanley cup, and is MVP of playoffs.

Buffalo is still trying to get back to playoffs after GM Tim Murray purposefully tanked for McDavid.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Best example is the Leafs transitioning from the JFJ era to the Burke era.

Continually traded futures away to try and hit a playoff spot.

Sorely lacking in a position of need and trying to address it in trading away futures instead of the draft (Goaltending vs our RHD)

Bought high on a Prime Asset in hopes of augmenting their existing core (Kessel for two 1sts, 1 2nd)

That core ultimately topped out in a 2013 1st round Game 7 loss before they dismantled it.

The early 2000s Minnesota wilds and Predators also come to mind.

Thanks! Those teams come to mind too. It’s really not black and white though. I can think of as many teams that’s aren’t built with top 5 picks 

9 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Sums up how I feel about the situation as well. Until we actually have a consistent season instead of short runs in March we'll never be a playoff team again. Personally I'd like to see us get back to the Glory days when we were top of our Division and went on playoff runs.

2 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

What's the Canucks' long term strategy or plan?

With our current run our chances of getting Bedard draft lottery simulator Tankathon puts us at 6% chance of getting Bedard.

Is the strategy now to work on current team chemistry and building a more structured system and figuring out what playing style suits our team chemistry?

What's the path to get out of 10+ years of mediocrity where we have short runs that fall just short of making the playoffs?

Right now betting sites like Power Ranking Guru have us at ZERO% chance of making the playoffs (14 points out of a Wild card spot with 13 games left ), but also little chance of getting Bedard - so what's the plan?

You answered your own question 

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well Done Thumbs Up GIF by Coach Josh

Meh, I still think they own some of this too. Myers has been hit and miss lately under the new coach. It's not like he doesn't  slide back into old behaviours and focus on playing forward and goaltender at times vs d. Zinging shots that miss the net and go all the way round the boards and out. Standing at the goal line where he often gets in the way more than anything. Clear guys out from beside the net, don't try to make the save...we have a goaltender for that.

Also...he still makes some dreadful outlet passes that turn things back at him. Last game (or the one before), one was glaring. An easy out that he put RIGHT on the opponent's stick and it almost created a chaotic scoring chance against. He looks lost sometimes. I like him best when he's physical rather than sliding all over the place...using his body to slam guys off the puck rather than trying to become an obstacles in the way of the puck. I know he's a bit shellshocked by penalties but I prefer when he plays that way rather than a way that seems very unsure at times.

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You mean the rabid fan base on the internet.   

The rest of the fans are not crazy.

The intersection is huge... I've been talking to a lot of different fans at bars, at work, etc 

Lots of people want the team to finish as low as possible because of Bedard.  

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by NBA