The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Tuesday March 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Vegas Knights - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

12 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Whatever you have to say to make you're post seem legitimate :rolleyes: .

People who say "they've" been doing this since 2016/for years and "until they prove otherwise"?? I'm pretty confident when I say "this" group today has nothing to do with what's happened over the past 7 years. Things are quite different and it's important to assign ONLY what this group has done to their history. Not what the teams before them did/didn't do.

337512951_1421559448596096_2276625977550

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

As one of my favorite movie characters would say:

"The results of battles are determined by god, but also by preparation."

You gotta set yourself up to be lucky.

Which movie character is this?? 

21 minutes ago, DSVII said:

There's a difference between winning versus teams that are looking past you to playoffs and teams that have sold their best players to tank the season.

There's a difference to winning games when you have no expectations vs when you are playing a divisional rival that is up on you by 1 point in the standings.

And this group simply hasnt' been able to get it done in the latter situations. Yes the past matters Debs, because the best indicator of future behaviour is past behavior. We've seen winning streaks like this in March that don't result in much in October. 

You're probably right in the fact they deserve a better assessment. But i've seen enough of this core after coaching bumps to arrive at the point where they are basically guilty until proven innocent.

The fact that this team is bottom 5 without vezina caliber goaltending and a top 10 expensive defense is organic....that's the point.

This team was bottom 5 with the absolute worst goaltending in the league. We're not talking "without Vezina level goaltending" , we're talking save percentage not seen since the 70s level goaltending. 

Sadly we also tasted bottom 5 for just a day or two. Seems like a distant memory now.  

28 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Refer to Dallas (last week) and St Louis (next week) debs.

How many NHL games has Dallas' Matt Murray played before he played us last game? Are the blues a better team with or without Tarasenko if we beat them later in the month?

Thing is, Wedgewood is hurt and so I guess they feel it's important to let Murray get involved. I'm pretty sure it isn't because they are "looking past" us. Again...teams that do that are kind of dumb because that stuff can stick. Start acting like you've got things wrapped up and it can quickly unravel. I think most teams understand that.

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Number one priority this offseason is giving this man a steady and reliable partner who manages the defensive side of the ice, allowing him to flourish even more than he already is. 

Might be hard to do this off-season but yeah. FA RD pool is bare. Graves and Soucy play both sides, Soucy more of a solid 3rd pair guy though. 

3rd C important too. 

27 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Refer to Dallas (last week) and St Louis (next week) debs.

How many NHL games has Dallas' Matt Murray played before he played us last game? Are the blues a better team with or without Tarasenko if we beat them later in the month?

was goaltending the reasont he canucks beat dallas? their goalie played great. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Might be hard to do this off-season but yeah. FA RD pool is bare. Graves and Soucy play both sides, Soucy more of a solid 3rd pair guy though. 

3rd C important too. 

Might have to be done via trade. Should be an interesting offseason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Number one priority this offseason is giving this man a steady and reliable partner who manages the defensive side of the ice, allowing him to flourish even more than he already is. 

Yup. The Avs got Toews for Makar, which allowed Makar to be far more offensive minded. When we had Tanev, Hughes was producing more than Makar.

With a Tanev level partner Hughes is a 100 point player and a plus 40. 

• Like 1