The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 23, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Bingo Deb! He will never give credit to the team until there is a full rebuild. When Canucks was losing earlier this year he wrote Canucks bashing article every other day. Now that Canucks have been winning he has written nothing in weeks  cause he has no ‘advance data’ to use to trash on the team. 

Honestly, the Canucks could win a cup in a couple of years and Drance would still find a way to point out that the team didn't do it "the right way" and that their run of Stanley Cup wins won't be sustainable. He's just a blowhard know-it-all.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

What I want is for the nhl to implement a rule mandating participation in pre game warm-ups in order to play. 

If they don't want to wear these jerseys than they are free to sit fir the game or stick out like a sore thumb and be appropriately ridiculed for it rather than hiding from it. 

Your rule would lose in a court case, because you can’t force people to go against their conscience.
Ask the NFL about those taking a knee during the national anthem. They wished they stopped persecuting Kaepernick later.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Maybe this gets Woo some games. Sucks he got injured, but now we can get a look at someone else and not pull someone out of the lineup who has played well enough to keep getting games.

Good call. Brisebois and Wolanin are out too, so the stars could be aligning for Woo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Your rule would lose in a court case, because you can’t force people to go against their conscience.
Ask the NFL about those taking a knee during the national anthem. They wished they stopped persecuting Kaepernick later.

It's a slippery slope. Is it OK for players to refuse to wear jerseys honoring indigenous or black people, or women? Nobody has been dumb enough to try it, but the potential is there if players are allowed to opt out of the pride jersey. Players have to wear the jerseys that the team has selected for them, they do it all the time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

I am not forcing them to do anything.

Don't want to wear a pride warm up jersey? Fine. Go out there with a normal one. 

Don't want to stick out, sure go and sit for the game. 

This rule ain't forcing anyone to do anything and really should be a rule already as poor warmup can increase chance of injury so it is as much as a player safety thing as anything else. 

Also NFL lost the case for actively avoiding signing Koppernick to a contract. That case have nothing even remotely touching implementation of this rule. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

It’s a private business and are able to dictate things as they see fit, to a point. 

They cannot be forced by the League to force their players to wear something, for example, pride sweaters etc. 

Participating in social movements come  down to the owner/management group of that business. Their decisions affect their business and their standing in their communities and the response from their customers and their communities that they attempt to play a part in. 

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I don't think he's a bad person. But I think his actions set a bad precedent and send a bad message.

Selfish: "I don't believe in this"

Selfless: "I will show support for other human beings despite my personal beliefs"

I honestly don't believe in religion....but if I saw a religious person drowning I'd throw them a rope.

Human beings are not perfect and come with a lot of baggage by the time they reach adulthood.  Imo,

most people fluctuate somewhere between 'selfish and selfless'.  It's a lot easier to deal with these

challenges if you have developed a tolerance for others; which is usually taught (somewhat) to us as children. 

It can be achieved with willingness, hard work and a touch of forgiveness.  Change is very difficult for

human beings and usually takes a long time to happen. The 'Lord of the Flies' behaviour alive and well

on the internet these days.

This is not an excuse for a person's questionable opinions; it's just an attempt to clarify the

reasoning behind their actions.

Despite Reimer's religious beliefs (baggage), I'm pretty sure he would throw a rope to anyone drowning.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

See, thing is....you call it "sexual behaviour" which is a really short sighted view. Makes it almost sound deviant and that's part of the problem here. Especially to some religious folks (not all) who have ideas about how "sex" should look. They don't equate it to love, which is a good thing that the world needs more of. Not to select and discourage some love because it doesn't fit our narrow view of what that looks like. Some hate this form of love....is that ok?

How about supporting pride for others to just be who they are? Rather than the shame they've had to endure because some don't "believe" in it. It's not your place to judge and discrimination has to stop. So these are moves in that direction and if you decline them then you passively allow it to continue. 

And it's not "covering himself with a flag"...it's putting on a jersey. No need to exaggerate. Which is what hockey players do ...put on a jersey, but he declined this one. Pick and choose I guess. That makes a statement in itself...go with the flow. No one's asking him to be gay, just show love for gay people. 

Not a meltdown...we're simply pointing it out because it's important to do so. Don't make it something trivial, it's a pretty big deal to those who are afraid to hop on transit like every other human being because some idiot might be offended (and potentially violent and hostile).

But this is the PGT, so we can move it to the other thread where it's more appropriate to discuss. In the meantime, though...Reimer's as open to criticism as any other player on the ice. And he got lit up...which makes some of us quite happy. And proud. 

I don't think he's a bad person. But I think his actions set a bad precedent and send a bad message.

Selfish: "I don't believe in this"

Selfless: "I will show support for other human beings despite my personal beliefs"

I honestly don't believe in religion....but if I saw a religious person drowning I'd throw them a rope.

Very well said, we are all HUMAN BEINGS first and EVERYTHING else about us is secondary. If more people realized this, the world would be a much better place to live in.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Human beings are not perfect and come with a lot of baggage by the time they reach adulthood.  Imo,

most people fluctuate somewhere between 'selfish and selfless'.  It's a lot easier to deal with these

challenges if you have developed a tolerance for others; which is usually taught (somewhat) to us as children. 

It can be achieved with willingness, hard work and a touch of forgiveness.  Change is very difficult for

human beings and usually takes a long time to happen. The 'Lord of the Flies' behaviour alive and well

on the internet these days.

This is not an excuse for a person's questionable opinions; it's just an attempt to clarify the

reasoning behind their actions.

Despite Reimer's religious beliefs (baggage), I'm pretty sure he would throw a rope to anyone drowning.

Would he though? If a man wearing pride colored shirt openly saying he is gay, the bible demand they be executed. 

Kinda goes against his religion to throw a rope to them. 

/s

Edited by 24K PureCool

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I just thought of a good one. 

So called Christian players refusing to wear the standard uniforms of the NJ devils cause it depicts the devil and it goes against their religion to promote the anti-christ. 

Man can't wait for that to happen. 

That is a pretty awesome example B)

3 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

James Reimer 

- Politely and respectfully declines to cover himself in a flag that says he’s proud of someone’s else’s sexual behaviour. 

CDC

- Meltdown

Nahh it’s the blatant hypocrisy himself and other Christians display by hiding behind a book that at no point says anything remotely similar to they will not wear inclusiveness jerseys to support making hockey more welcoming. Which is actually, again, pretty hypocritical considering there’s some pretty nasty stuff in the bible 10x worse than being a member of the LGBTQ+ community. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 2