The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 26, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DeNiro said:

I’ve already stated time and time again that Michkov has a real chance of slipping.

Many top scouts believe he could step in and be an impact player in 3 years similar to Kaprizov.

Michkov is gone by 4.  Is that seriously what you are hanging your hat on?  At 6?  Cmon dude.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, BCNate said:

Michkov is gone by 4.  Is that seriously what you are hanging your hat on?  At 6?  Cmon dude.

No way you can possibly know that. :picard:

If you knew as much as you pretend to know where he’ll go you’d know that scouts are worried about his three year deal in Russia and some rumoured attitude problems. Both of which aren’t concerns for me.

Claiming that he’s “gone by 4” is laughable. Scouts that get paid alot more and know more than us think he has a high chance of dropping. You really think teams don’t strongly consider Benson and Smith ahead of him? Of course they do. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Benson, Reinbacher, Moore, Smith most likely but who's better of the bunch 

Anybody who knows anything about this draft knows that past the projected top 3 there’s no set order.

There’s a strong case for any of Benson, Michkov, or Smith to go 4-6. I honestly wouldn’t even be surprised if Carlsson got bumped to 4 by someone like Benson.

Either way this draft has a crazy good top 6. And we’d be lucky to get in that spot.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No way you can possibly know that. :picard:

If you knew as much as you pretend to know where he’ll go you’d know that scouts are worried about his three year deal in Russia and some rumoured attitude problems. Both of which aren’t concerns for me.

Claiming that he’s “gone by 4” is laughable. Scouts that get paid alot more and know more than us think he has a high chance of dropping. You really think teams don’t strongly consider Benson and Smith ahead of him? Of course they do. 

Who though?  Who are all these scouts?  I haven’t seen one credible hockey person anywhere that says he goes past 3 or 4.  None.  Like seriously zero. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’ve already stated time and time again that Michkov has a real chance of slipping.

My money is on one of the teams with multiple first round picks (Mtl/Chi/Az) using one on Michkov.  Chi/AZ aren't going to be good anytime soon,  they could easily take their time and wait for him to be done in the KHL while they develop whomever else they take in the first round.  If Michkov is available to us at whatever slot we end up at, it's a no brainer imo, by the time he's available hopefully management has this cap situation sorted and we're trending up.

• Cheers 1

Just now, BCNate said:

Who though?  Who are all these scouts?  I haven’t seen one credible hockey person anywhere that says he goes past 3 or 4.  None.  Like seriously zero. 

A Mans Butt GIF

And clearly you’re the guru of the draft here. :lol:

• RoughGame 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The core is in place. Hronek was the final piece. We are retooling the supporting cast. 
Which players are core in your view? Which positions? Define core? 

Petey

Hughes

Demko

I see these three as immovable core pieces.

I would go as far as to say that they are on par with the best players we had in their respective positions. Petey is on his way to becoming the best centerman this team has ever had in its history. Hughes is probably already the best defenseman. Demko, well he could end up as top 3 along with Luongo and McLean.

These guys are strong players that should be good enough to contend for the cup but they need major help. The league is too competitive.

I view players like Miller, Kuzmenko, and Hronek as excellent players that will help the team. But every contender has their own version of these players.

New Jersey for example. They have Meier, Hamilton, and Jesper Bratt.

Speaking of New Jersey, they are already very good but some of the most important pieces of their core haven't even arrived yet! Namely, Luke Hughes and Nemec.

I was watching Michigan vs Colgate. Michigan won the game 11-1. The thing that bothered me the most was how good Luke Hughes is. I was watching it for Fantilli but all I noticed was Luke Hughes. He can skate like his brother Quinn while being bigger. I was hoping he is not as smart as Quinn but he probably is. He will make New Jersey even better than they are already. And Nemec, well I haven't watched him but if he is as good as advertised... 

That team will have J. Hughes as their #1C, Hischier as their #2C, and L. Hughes-Nemec as their first pairing. 

Our guys need one more player to help them. That is the same feeling that I had during the Sedin era. Daniel-Henrik-Kesler-Luongo... missing a Norris caliber top pairing defenceman.

I was happy with Horvat trade because that meant we would be getting a new core player -- possibly a top 4 pick as I thought we would sink in the standings. Now, I'm hoping we don't fall too much so that we can draft Reinbacher who looks like he could be exactly the type of player to give us that boost (or not since a draft involves a lot of randomnesses). This is the draft to get us the game-breaker. I just hope we don't rise up the standings too much to miss out on such a player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A Mans Butt GIF

And clearly you’re the guru of the draft here. :lol:

That doesn’t answer my question though.  Who are all these scouts? I’m not pretending to be some guru,  but I do have some common sense,  and do follow very closely.  

good meme though,  I’ll give you that.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Many top scouts believe he could step in and be an impact player in 3 years similar to Kaprizov.

What if he doesn't though and goes #4? What are your 3 picks from 6-9? I'm generally dismayed as well that we keep winning and losing draft position but I do take some solace that the picks from 6-12 could all be really good players and we could definitely see just about any order imo after the top 4. I think there is a chance Smith could drop and also some big reaches thrown in there. Also, maybe Reinbacher is there too.

This is sportsnets rankings as of Mar 15: I'd be good with any of the top 12 really.

2. Adam Fantilli, C, U of Michigan (NCAA): Another fascinating player to watch as Michigan strives to not only win a Big Ten Title, but a National Championship. Is a trip to the men’s worlds in the offing afterwards?

3. Matvey Michkov, RW, Sochi (KHL): From a pure skill perspective, he challenges Bedard for the most talented player available.

4. Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro (SHL): Scouts have a lot of time for this player thanks to a package that projects as a top-six NHLer. Leans less goal scoring, more pass-first. 

5. Zachary Benson, LW, Winnipeg Ice (WHL): Hockey sense and awareness allow him to be an effective producer. Consistently involved in the play. If only he were three inches taller. 

6. Will Smith, C, USNTDP: Utilizes his blazing speed to create space for himself or to better use his deft passing skills.  

7. Colby Barlow, RW, Owen Sound Attack (OHL): Has built layers into his game from the start of the season, showing a path to quick development.

8. Ryan Leonard, RW, USNTDP: The window to project Leonard is quite clear based on him being one of the most physically developed players in this group. 

9. Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL): His goals are down compared to the same number of games played one season ago. Shot and release are still his best assets, though. Scouts are concerned if he will be able to drive play at the next level.

10. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SUI): It’s not often a player so young is so heavily relied on by a senior men’s team in a top-notched pro league. 

11. Dalibor Dvorsky, C, AIK (Allsvenskan): Bouncing around to a number of different teams the past couple years (including stints with the national team) did not serve him well. Playing nearest his peer group at the world juniors was more telling of the true talent. 

12. Nate Danielson, C, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL): A low maintenance player who can be trusted in all situations and relied upon to provide sustained offence. 

13. Samuel Honzek, LW, Vancouver Giants (WHL): Embraces his size and uses it to full advantage through a powerful stride. Understands the game well and is committed to improving on it daily. Top-10 potential is not out of the question. 

14. Andrew Cristall, LW, Kelowna Rockets (WHL): Continues his meteoric rise up the rankings as one of the most exhilarating players inside the opposition blue line.

15. Eduard Sale, RW, Brno (Czechia): He wows with the puck on his stick, but scouts question whether or not he’s determined enough to get it back when he doesn’t have it.

16. Daniil But, LW, Yaroslavl (KHL): Moves around effectively for a big man, competes hard, shoots hard and accurately, and has no problem moving the puck if there's a better option.

17. Axel Sandin-Pellikka, D, Skelleftea (Sweden J20): Uses his edges and skating ability to retrieve pucks. Can move it as a transporter up the ice, or with a deft first pass. 

18. Oliver Moore, C, USNTDP: When playing under control, his skating ability can change games.

19. Mikhail Gulyayev, D, Omsk (MHL): His KHL action was limited to early season looks. A player most impacted by not being able to play in the U18 worlds. 

20. Riley Heidt, C, Prince George Cougars (WHL): There’s no denying his career year in terms of pure point production. What he does or does not do away from the puck, however, is the biggest concern. 

I think my picks currently are

Michkov

Smith

Reinbacher

Yager

Dvorsky

Danielson

I'd love to add one of these guys and I rank them all very similarly except Michkov is elite.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Good job. But uh that post was 10/13/2022, when JT Miller was indeed sucking a$$.  So I don't think it proves your point... if you have one that is (yikes, sorry mean post again but you started it).

Really? That's the best you can do? On 10/3/2022 the Canucks had played one game, losing to Edmonton 5-3. JT Miller had one goal and one assist in the loss. So that's sucking a$$?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Really? That's the best you can do? On 10/3/2022 the Canucks had played one game, losing to Edmonton 5-3. JT Miller had one goal and one assist in the loss. So that's sucking a$$?

That post was 10/23. After our sixth straight losses to start the season. 

Solid win by the boys. We weren't getting Bedard, plain and simple. We don't suck as bad as many of you seem to think we do. 

It's going to be a fun summer seeing what Allvin and co manage to put together, whatever it is - I trust it'll be a playoff team next season. 

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

What if he doesn't though and goes #4? What are your 3 picks from 6-9? I'm generally dismayed as well that we keep winning and losing draft position but I do take some solace that the picks from 6-12 could all be really good players and we could definitely see just about any order imo after the top 4. I think there is a chance Smith could drop and also some big reaches thrown in there. Also, maybe Reinbacher is there too.

This is sportsnets rankings as of Mar 15: I'd be good with any of the top 12 really.

2. Adam Fantilli, C, U of Michigan (NCAA): Another fascinating player to watch as Michigan strives to not only win a Big Ten Title, but a National Championship. Is a trip to the men’s worlds in the offing afterwards?

3. Matvey Michkov, RW, Sochi (KHL): From a pure skill perspective, he challenges Bedard for the most talented player available.

4. Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro (SHL): Scouts have a lot of time for this player thanks to a package that projects as a top-six NHLer. Leans less goal scoring, more pass-first. 

5. Zachary Benson, LW, Winnipeg Ice (WHL): Hockey sense and awareness allow him to be an effective producer. Consistently involved in the play. If only he were three inches taller. 

6. Will Smith, C, USNTDP: Utilizes his blazing speed to create space for himself or to better use his deft passing skills.  

7. Colby Barlow, RW, Owen Sound Attack (OHL): Has built layers into his game from the start of the season, showing a path to quick development.

8. Ryan Leonard, RW, USNTDP: The window to project Leonard is quite clear based on him being one of the most physically developed players in this group. 

9. Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL): His goals are down compared to the same number of games played one season ago. Shot and release are still his best assets, though. Scouts are concerned if he will be able to drive play at the next level.

10. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SUI): It’s not often a player so young is so heavily relied on by a senior men’s team in a top-notched pro league. 

11. Dalibor Dvorsky, C, AIK (Allsvenskan): Bouncing around to a number of different teams the past couple years (including stints with the national team) did not serve him well. Playing nearest his peer group at the world juniors was more telling of the true talent. 

12. Nate Danielson, C, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL): A low maintenance player who can be trusted in all situations and relied upon to provide sustained offence. 

13. Samuel Honzek, LW, Vancouver Giants (WHL): Embraces his size and uses it to full advantage through a powerful stride. Understands the game well and is committed to improving on it daily. Top-10 potential is not out of the question. 

14. Andrew Cristall, LW, Kelowna Rockets (WHL): Continues his meteoric rise up the rankings as one of the most exhilarating players inside the opposition blue line.

15. Eduard Sale, RW, Brno (Czechia): He wows with the puck on his stick, but scouts question whether or not he’s determined enough to get it back when he doesn’t have it.

16. Daniil But, LW, Yaroslavl (KHL): Moves around effectively for a big man, competes hard, shoots hard and accurately, and has no problem moving the puck if there's a better option.

17. Axel Sandin-Pellikka, D, Skelleftea (Sweden J20): Uses his edges and skating ability to retrieve pucks. Can move it as a transporter up the ice, or with a deft first pass. 

18. Oliver Moore, C, USNTDP: When playing under control, his skating ability can change games.

19. Mikhail Gulyayev, D, Omsk (MHL): His KHL action was limited to early season looks. A player most impacted by not being able to play in the U18 worlds. 

20. Riley Heidt, C, Prince George Cougars (WHL): There’s no denying his career year in terms of pure point production. What he does or does not do away from the puck, however, is the biggest concern. 

I think my picks currently are

Michkov

Smith

Reinbacher

Yager

Dvorsky

Danielson

I'd love to add one of these guys and I rank them all very similarly except Michkov is elite.

top 6 from that list will be gone...  then Reinbacher will close out the top 7.  

At this pace, we will be drafting 12th overall, so we'll have to take one of the small wingers IMO.