The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to celebrate Pride Night on Friday vs. Flames

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Rule #1, don't piss off the status quo, even if your right, they won't like it one bit even if the status quo is blind and dumb as a post.. 

Sometimes the you need to piss off the status quo, you can't make a really great omelet without scrambling the eggs.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

You are absolutely correct. That's a big part of why I suggested sitting him out. Then, it's not about him, it's not about the Jersey, it's about team culture and it protects the players' family in Russia.

This is why I find it silly to relate it to the players picking and choosing their interprtation and beliefs of the best selling fantasy novel of all time for their reluctance to inclusion. 

The rus players face actual consequences

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That makes them look good.. are you getting this yet? 

Yup, and I respect your opinion, even if I don't necessary agree with it.

I stand by my opinion that it would have been better to either sit him for at least the warm up if not the whole game. It deflects the issue away from the player specifically who is likely dealing with stuff back home that would negatively impact his family.

If you sit him for the warmup, that will be forgotten in a day or two. Having him out there with a different jersey gets remembered for a long time.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Sometimes the you need to piss off the status quo, you can't make a really great omelet without scrambling the eggs.

But your now on the status quo side of the subject.. ummm.. I'm not sure your getting this, corporate never does $hit unless they have something to gain, monetarily/reputation or otherwise.. 

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Seems a sad state of affairs in Democratically Free Countries that a person Can Not hold a private personal reason anymore.

No Personal Privacy ….   people want / need a reason.

I wonder if That is the full 359 degree circle before going back to burning Witches on a stake, and hanging for not believing in a selected God.

Personal Privacy matters as much as anything else.

6 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Rule #1, don't piss off the status quo, even if your right, they won't like it one bit even if the status quo is blind and dumb as a post.. 

the validity of another human being's existence isn't something you're entitled to an opinion on. wearing the jersey is just signalling publicly that you're not a meathead. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is why I find it silly to relate it to the players picking and choosing their interprtation and beliefs of the best selling fantasy novel of all time for their reluctance to inclusion. 

The rus players face actual consequences

Agree completely

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, and I respect your opinion, even if I don't necessary agree with it.

I stand by my opinion that it would have been better to either sit him for at least the warm up if not the whole game. It deflects the issue away from the player specifically who is likely dealing with stuff back home that would negatively impact his family.

If you sit him for the warmup, that will be forgotten in a day or two. Having him out there with a different jersey gets remembered for a long time.

It's not opinion Vegas, it's fact. This isn't new btw, much like media, push the right buttons and ppl will respond even if it's only for attention, it's nothing new. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

Negative .... The player might not mean disrespect and there may be hidden political reasons as you've mentioned but the far fringes.of society uses these examples.to.validate. their hate 

Kuz should have requested to be sat this game and then this mess could have been avoided. 

Sorry, that's not how it works...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

Negative .... The player might not mean disrespect and there may be hidden political reasons as you've mentioned but the far fringes.of society uses these examples.to.validate. their hate 

Kuz should have requested to be sat this game and then this mess could have been avoided. 

It's only as big a "mess" as you want to make it.  It's one player on the team not wearing a warmup jersey.

Whether that is a mess or a scandal is up to the fans or media that want to give it that status.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

It's not opinion Vegas, it's fact. This isn't new btw, much like media, push the right buttons and ppl will respond even if it's only for attention, it's nothing new. 

Media, especially in this town, is extremely toxic and incredibly manipulative. They run misleading headlines to pull people into stories because they get paid and bonused based on the click rates they generate to their corporate websites.

Canucks Army site sits a little below the National Enquirer for accuracy in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

the validity of another human being's existence isn't something you're entitled to an opinion on. wearing the jersey is just signalling publicly that you're not a meathead. 

Your validation as a human being comes from being one, nothing else, if we start depending on people to validate us when we're "adults" that's a set up for failure.

Best not to give a flying F about what anyone else thinks to begin with. I used to be there but now I could care less because it's not worth my time.  

If ppl can't respect you as a human being no matter what, that's their problem not yours. 

Your validation as a human being comes from being one, nothing else, if we start depending on people to validate us when we're "adults" that's a set up for failure.

Best not to give a flying F about what anyone else thinks to begin with. I used to be there but now I could care less because it's not worth my time.  

If ppl can't respect you as a human being no matter what, that's their problem not yours. 

you're preaching to the choir, but it's also irrelevant in this context. you're not going to snap your fingers and magically make people not care what others think of them, it's against human nature. 

edit: so, when presented with a really easy choice to either blatantly show them you support them or blatantly show them that you don't, make the decent choice. it'll help build that internal validation. 

Edited by tas

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's only as big a "mess" as you want to make it.  It's one player on the team not wearing a warmup jersey.

Whether that is a mess or a scandal is up to the fans or media that want to give it that status.

The media sure does, good ole clickbait right?

Just now, tas said:

you're preaching to the choir, but it's also irrelevant in this context. you're not going to snap your fingers and magically make people not care what others think of them, it's against human nature. 

That's their choice... 

That's their choice... 

see my edit.

if you choose to side with people who feel others are invalid simply because you think the other group is weak for needing validation, the result is the same.

being on the side of meatheads.  

Edited by tas

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

I agree on the first part but I disagree on the whole subject, sports should be left alone, if you can play a sport, you can play.  

Politics, sexual preference, whatever should stay the F out of it to begin with, it's not needed. 

And I'll re-stress my point, IF your good enough to play then you can play regardless of ANYTHING else. 

So you'd be fine with the Canucks signing Mitch Miller or Voynov?

5 minutes ago, tas said:

edit: so, when presented with a really easy choice to either blatantly show them you support them or blatantly show them that you don't, make the decent choice. it'll help build that internal validation. 

Do you believe the gay community needs everyone else to worry about what Kuzmenko thinks or does in order to feel internally validated?

• Cheers 1